Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 reboots when sitting idle for a couple of hours

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MurphyMan

MurphyMan

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:44 AM

I'm not getting a BSOD, I just come in and find that it has rebooted itself and all my windows and tabs are closed.

I have attached some zip folders, I hope that's what you need.

This is a machine I built up myself. Last time I went after this problem I ran a memory check and nothing came up. Updated the BIOS too.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Windows 10 (x64) (build 14393)
Board: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A78M-E Rev X.0x
American Megatrends BIOS 1401, 6/5/2015
Serial Number: 140424918000388
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
UEFI: American Megatrends Inc. 1401 06/05/2015
3.70 gigahertz AMD A4-6300 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
96 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Hyper-threaded (2 total)
7368 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
Slot 'DIMM_A1' has 4096 MB
Slot 'DIMM_A2' has 4096 MB
Drives
1119.76 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
982.00 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0 SATA CdRom Device [Optical drive]
HTC Android Phone USB Device [Optical drive]

Patriot Blaze [Hard drive] (120.03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n DA5A074A1FEE00931087, rev S9FM01.9, SMART Status: Healthy

WDC WD10EZEX-21M2NA0 [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 1, s/n WCC3F4UDSYK2, rev 01.01A01, SMART Status: Healthy
c: (NTFS on drive 0) * 119.56 GB 68.69 GB free
e: (NTFS on drive 1) 105 MB 11 MB free
f: (NTFS on drive 1) 1000.10 GB 913.30 GB free
* Operating System is installed on c:

AMD Radeon HD 8370D [Display adapter]
Acer X203H [Monitor] (19.9"vis, s/n ETLEV0C007906046FE4010, February 2009)
Planar PX2710MW [Monitor] (27.2"vis)

Standard SATA AHCI Controller
Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller
AMD USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft) (2x)
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller (2x)
Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller (2x)

Attached Files

Edited by MurphyMan, 23 March 2017 - 08:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:04 PM

I'm having eye problems, so this'll be short....

There are several issues in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report.

The Driver Verifier enabled memory dump from 11Mar17 shows networking involvement

Update all network drivers (wired, wireless, bluetooth, etc)

Update all chipset drivers

Update all USB drivers (some are part of the chipset drivers, others will be standalone installers)

Update all Windows Updates

In order to be sure that you've gotten any problem areas out of the way, it's best to uninstall the current software before installing a fresh copy of the latest, W10 compatible drivers.

First, download the fresh copies (in case this breaks the network connection) and set a System Restore point before starting.

Then try to uninstall them from Control Panel...Programs and Features.

If not found there, then try uninstalling by right clicking on the device in Device Manager.  If offered, select to uninstall the software for that device.

If not found there, then just install the freshly downloaded version.

If that doesn't stop the shutdowns:

- be sure that Driver Verifier is turned off

- run these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Please run ALL of the diagnostics and let us know the results.
This is because of the number of Live Kernel Events in the WER section of the MSINFO32 - which sometimes point to hardware issues.

Edited by usasma, 23 March 2017 - 02:04 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 MurphyMan

MurphyMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:12 PM

Thanks.  I will try and start on this tomorrow afternoon and will report back. I do try and keep my drivers up to date, but there is definitely something screwy going on.

Edited by MurphyMan, 23 March 2017 - 06:14 PM.

#4 MurphyMan

MurphyMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:20 PM

This is a followup.

And I am attaching a new SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip.

After my last post I tried, really tried, to clean up the drivers. I thought I was making progress, and I ran Driver Verifier.  The second time I ran it, it would only boot into a BSOD and I couldn't get past it. Kept on getting a message something like "Can't find AMD_sysapp.sys"  I tried all the tools on the BSOD screen to no avail. It would not open into Windows.

I didn't have a Windows 10 repair disc so I wound up taking it to a local independent repair store. They had it for a couple days and it cost me $90 to get it out of hock.  They also said they cleaned up drivers, but I didn't get any detail.

So, after all their work I thought I was fat, dumb and happy, but I find it's still re-booting on it's own. It did it yesterday and I immediately ran the attached SysnativeFileCollectionApp.  I also ran PERFMON but couldn't seem to get a report.

I also ran a 12 hour memory/CPU check and it produced no errors.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks

Attached Files

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:00 AM

Please do the following after recovering from the next surprise shutdown::
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:
You may not need to log temps.  If uncertain, please ask.

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

Some further suggestions:

- make a Windows repair disk.  To do this, type "recovery drive" (without the quotes) into the search bar in W10)

There are 2 sizes - one with just the repair functions (less than 1 gB) and one that will also create an image to recover your hard drive from (16/32 gB depending on the system)

- uninstall the Don't Sleep application and see if that helps

If you don't want it to sleep, go into Power Options and set it to never sleep when on AC power.

I don't suggest it when on battery power, as you'll lose stuff if the battery runs down.

- uninstall the Asus AISuite (some problems seen in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report

If needed, wait until we're finished troubleshooting and then download the latest, W10 compatible version from the Asus support website for your system/motherboard

- start on these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Please finish ALL of the tests and let us know the results - we can move on from there.

Edited by usasma, 14 April 2017 - 06:09 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 MurphyMan

MurphyMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:38 AM

Thanks very much.

#7 MurphyMan

MurphyMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:53 AM

I wasn't on the machine at all yesterday, but I see there was a shutdown. Admin.zip file attached.

I did an an extra chassis fan the other day, April 18, just because their are inexpensive. I did wind up shutting the machine off with the power switch a couple of times, so that would probably explain the ID 41 codes on that day, but not the one on April 20. I did a memory check several days ago, it ran for 11 hours, with no errors detected.

Thanks again.

Attached Files

Edited by MurphyMan, 20 April 2017 - 07:58 AM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:00 AM

I didn't see any repeating events just prior to the Critical events (the unexplained shutdowns) in the Admin log.

Most often this is a sign of a hardware problem.

Please run ALL of these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Please let us know the results of ALL of the tests and we'll move on from there.

#9 MurphyMan

MurphyMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:52 PM

Had another failure this morning while the machine was just sitting.  New file attached along with the speed fan log.  I ran several tests over the weekend with no errors. I forgot to uninstall Don't Sleep.  I will do that right now.

This is strange. Thanks for the help.

• MemTest86 - Ran overnight, no errors
  • Seagate SeaTools - Long Generic - Both CPU Passed
  • Furmark GPU Stress Test
    • 6 FPS, Usage 99? GPU Temp 8 deg. C (why so cold?)  Ambient is at least 75 F
  • Prime95 Ran seven hrs. CPU at 96% - No errors, CPU temp no higher than 32 C.
    • Worker #1 56 tests in 6:30 with 0 errors
    • Worker #2, 57 tests in 6:30 with 0 errors.

Attached Files

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:17 AM

For the Furmark test - could be a faulty sensor, or it could be that it's not being read correctly by the program.

Did you run the other video (Video2) tests?  They're on the page at this link:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html#morevideo

Recently (at work) we've found that we can fix many problems with a simple repair install of Windows 10.

It's now our last ditch effort before we call the customer and suggest wiping the hard drive and starting over.

To do this, use the Media Creation Tool to download and create bootable USB media: 

Once downloaded, you can run the Setup.exe program from the USB drive.  Just follow the steps and be sure that you choose to keep your files and settings

More info on this process here:  https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

BTW - you can also use this drive to boot to repair tools - so hang onto it after trying the repair install.

IMO there's 2 ways to go after that if the problems continue:

1)  Do a "clean" install of Windows 10 and see if the problems continue with a fresh copy of the OS (and no 3rd party programs)

If there are problem devices in Device Manager (after the clean install), post back here for some suggestions on what to install to fix them.

2)  Do a hardware stripdown fo try and find the hardware problem.  Here's the procedure:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

#11 MurphyMan

MurphyMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:25 PM

After months and months of frustration I finally fixed the problem.  I did a complete reinstall of Win 10 and all my crashing/rebooting problems went away.  

I was getting ready to buy another motherboard. 

Thanks to all those who helped.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:53 AM

I'm glad that you fixed it.  Thanks for letting us know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users