Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 veryrandomsowhat

veryrandomsowhat

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:14 PM

What are my limitations when I put my computer in safe mode with networking? it is the only way my computer is working, and I need to get all our important files out in case we need to wipe out the whole computer. if anyone can tell me what my limitations are, i would be really grateful. thanx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:20 PM

Well, not entirely sure of what you are asking, but basically Safe Mode is simply running Windows at a lower level than normal. Your programs that you have set to auto start when you boot the computer will not start. If you have malware on your computer, then it probably won't be started either, making it easier to remove. Windows will use basic drivers in case you are experiencing driver issues.

You should still have control over most of the functions of your computer, but it kind of depends.

You could always remove the hard drive and install it in another computer as a 'slave' drive. The working computer should still boot up from the 'good' Master hard drive, and then you will be able to navigate (Start > My Computer) to the slave drive and recover your data. More info on how to install a second drive can be found HERE.

But of course, if you need help with this or any other procedure you can just ask for help here and we can explain it in more detail or refer to somewhere on the web where it will be explained more fully.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:34 PM

Safe mode is as Albert explained it, but Safe Mode With Networking gives you the capability to access your lan if you are on a network and that includes Internet access.

It is extremely useful to be able to run on-line anti-malware and anti-virus scans, download drivers if you need them, etc.

Your video will operate at a much lower level but you can do most things when necessary.

What problems are you experiencing?

#4 veryrandomsowhat

veryrandomsowhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2006 - 08:24 AM

Thanks albert and Enthusiast! The specific problem I am having is that my computer shuts down an reboots itself after a minute or so of being in normal mode. It isn't a virus, and we're thinking about just reloading the whole computer but we want to get all our pictures, music, etc. out first. some of it we can't access....
so we just dont know whats wrong or what to with our computer.

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 05 September 2006 - 08:45 AM

When your computer spontaniously reboots, it is because it has encountered some sort of error. This error is reported in a blue screen. However, depending upon the settings of your computer you may not see the blue screen, or perhaps you see it for a split second and it disappears right before your computer reboots.

Go to:

Start > right click on My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab > Startup and Recovery Settings

Uncheck Automatically Restart

Click Apply and then OK

Now when you receive a blue screen the computer will pause on it and you will have to reboot manually.

The 'Blue Screen of Death' (or BSOD) is refered to by Microsoft as a Stop Message. They can occur for many reasons. In order to diagnose it's cause we need as much info as you can give about the stop message. Please write it down and post it back here the next time it happens. In particular, it helps to have the somewhat cryptic series of numbers about half way down the blue screen that have this sort of format:

0x0000008E (Followed by four other sets of numbers in parenthesis.)

It is also helpful to know the answers to these questions:
  • What are you doing when this happens (are you on line, starting the computer, etc).
  • Does it always happen at the same time?
  • Is it always the same message, or is it a different set of numbers each time?
  • Have you added any hardware or software lately?
  • Are you experiencing any other buggy behavior from this computer (such as it runs slower than it used to, etc)?
Now as far as getting your data off of the hard drive, you could always remove the hard drive and install it in another computer as a 'slave' drive. The working computer should still boot up from the 'good' Master hard drive, and then you will be able to navigate (Start > My Computer) to the slave drive and recover your data. More info on how to install a second drive can be found HERE.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 05 September 2006 - 08:47 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 lilmissconfused

lilmissconfused

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2006 - 06:13 AM

I have WLAN and this little thing called Hp wireless assistant is : Disabled just wondering how do i enable it? because the WLAN connection is all there its just this thing is disabled ?! what do i do?!!!

#7 veryrandomsowhat

veryrandomsowhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:47 PM

OK, albert, I wrote down the letters and numbers that I saw on the blue screen:

0x0000007E(0x0000005,0x00000000,0xF9F057C8,0xF9F054C4)

My computer reboots about a minute and a half after start up. Whether we logged in or not didnt matter, it would reboot the exact same time no matter what we do. Every time is the same if we don't put the computer in safe mode. it will just reboot without warning when the automatic restart enabled. With it disabled it showes the blue screen.
My mom downloaded this Kodak Picture Sharing program off the internet and problems started after that...
We ran a virus/spyware scan with Norton, but it came up with nothing. My dad says that it probably has something to do with one of the drivers, but I don't know how to figure out which one would be causing these problems.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:45 PM

If you know when the problem began the easiest and possibly the best fix is to use Windows System Restore to reset your system state to a working condition.

To access Windows System Restore:

Start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

Pick a highlighted date that is from before the problem began.

If you cannot do this in safe mode or normal mode

1.Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

2.Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3.Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4.Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

#9 veryrandomsowhat

veryrandomsowhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:54 PM

it wont let me restore to an earlier date because it says no earlier date is available...i've tried system restore before and it didnt work...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users