Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Hack for physical power button

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 xxxStevexxx

xxxStevexxx

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:53 PM

Does anyone know how to get the physical power button defined to launch an app when pressed?        I built my own menu for shutdown since Microsoft can't quite get it right.  But I have not been able to find how to point to my app from the button.

Thanks in advance.....  Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:27 AM

It's an electronic switch, not a digital one. You can't hack that.

#3 xxxStevexxx

xxxStevexxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:19 PM

Clearly windows has control over what the switch does as it can be set to "do nothing" or various other features Microsoft believes we should be allowed to do.

The only thing that can be hacked is the registry entry where the "do nothing" entry is placed.  And if Microsoft has created a way to set the registry entry to point to a program.  I understand that windows may not have the programming in that concern.  But it is worth asking as there are many things that can be done in registry that cannot be done through normal control panel conventions.

..... So, does anyone know if there is any functionality where a registry entry can set the physical power button behavior to trigger an app?

Thanks.....

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:57 PM

Windows is just modifying the controller states on the motherboard. It is still an electronic circuit.

If you write a bios hack it will be possible, maybe, other than that... shrug.gif

#5 xxxStevexxx

xxxStevexxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:01 PM

Thanks TsVK.   (Thanks from the police state of USSA)

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:03 PM

You're welcome mate.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:51 AM

The power button is a momentary switch like the old buzzing or ringing doorbell.  The doorbell will continue to ring/buzz as long as it is depressed.  With a computer the button run from the motherboard to one leg of the switch and out the other leg back to the motherboard when it is pressed.  This short to header pins on the motherboard which initiates the startup process.

Edited by dc3, 24 March 2017 - 09:55 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,666 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:35 AM

https://superuser.com/questions/635523/hook-system-power-button-in-windows

I have no way to know whether this holds valid for Win 8.x, but it illustrates the principle.

Edited by Platypus, 25 March 2017 - 04:22 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users