Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Your Opinion Please?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 04 September 2006 - 12:07 PM

I experienced a huge computer crash (total reinstall) over the weekend,you may have read my thread in the WinXP Forum.So far I on board I have reinstalled AVG Free,ZoneAlarm Firewall,Ewido & Ad-Aware.Didn't have an installer backup for Spybot,and was actually contemplating switching to Spywareblaster instead.I've seen people with both,but wonder if its redundant having Spybot and Spywareblaster.On the other hand,you can never be too safe!
Appreciate your input.Not feeling very secure about making these decisions at the moment,has been one **** of a weekend. ~hangs head~
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:00 PM

SpywareBlaster and Spybot are complementary. In fact, I installed SpywareBlaster at the suggestion of Spybot. SpywareBlaster is excellent in preventing malicious activeX and bad tracking cookies from getting on your computer in the first place. Unlike Spybot, it cannot be used to scan.

You can read more about SpywareBlaster, how it works and what it does here

And about Spybot here

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:33 AM

Spybot also has several good utilities that can be very useful. If you have limited hard drive space, I would think that Spybot should be chosen over SpywareBlaster.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 TMacK

TMacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2006 - 12:00 PM

I know these kind of questions aren't popular,so appreciate your replies.
When I ran Spybot before I didn't install TeaTimer or Backup my Registry.I was in the process of getting rid of a virus and guess we only needed the bare bones at the time.
So many people seem to have issues with the TeaTimer option.Generally what are they?
I don't have a shortage of space on my HD jgweed,but being on dial up,I have a shortage of time to D/L! :thumbsup:
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 05 September 2006 - 01:57 PM

To be honest TMacK, i use TeaTimer and have never experienced a problem with it (Knock on wood). I know some dont like to use it because it pops up everytime you install or delete a programme informing you of a registry change.Due to it running in the background, it also use a little bit of system resources.

But for me, id sooner know whats happening than have that extra mili-second of speed. If you do install it, you can always turn it off if its not for you.

Like always though, wait to see what others say. It maybe that they have experienced problems when running TeaTimer and tell you about it.
I find it handy in my prevention to malware, thats why i use it, and will continue to do so.

Happy Browsing!
Graveangel

Edited by graveangel, 05 September 2006 - 01:59 PM.

....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#6 TMacK

TMacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2006 - 05:32 PM

Thanx for your reply graveangel,
Like you,I do want to know whats happening,but I don't want to do more damage than good because of ignorance! Have read of people deleting things they shouldn't have in Spybot and totally messing up their OS. I definitely have to work on getting my computer self confidence back up! Posted ImageThat crash really caught me off guard,but I really must get back up and running with full protection.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:47 PM

Since I do not use IE, I do not use teatimer. There has been a documented problem with the TT popup window itself popping up with parts of it hidden. I have not read of any problems, however, with how the application functioned.
Regards,
John

#8 TMacK

TMacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:21 PM

So that clears up a question I had jgweed.The only time I use IE is for Windows updates,so then I really don't need to use the Teatimer option,right?
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,719 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:56 PM

Tea-Timer watches for changes to the registry; however, I don't use Tea-Timer because I use Ad-Watch which I prefer. When my term of free usage comes up though, I'll probably switch to Tea-Timer.

Counterspy by SunBelt also has an active registry change watch. Unfortunately, it's payware. I didn't have any problems seeing its pop-up alerts.

ZoneAlarm Operating System firewall, which is part of its firewall, watches registry changes to a certain extent. I don't think it's as good as Tea-Timer, Ad-Watch, or Counterspy in this aspect. ZoneAlarm also does not distinguish between a program wanting to place a key in "run" or "run-once" in its alerts. Additionally, while it logs attempts to change its own program, it doesn't send up alerts.

You can always google the program that wants to make the change to find out if it's legit before accepting the registry change regardless of what program you use.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 08 September 2006 - 11:57 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2006 - 12:12 AM

Since we are in football season, I can use "after further review...." here; according to some, teatimer is not browser-specific:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=28338#post28338

However, I cannot find specific information either way( even after checking the Spybot site) so we are in an aporetic situation unless some other member can provide definitive information. I can say for sure that to the extent that TT involves protecting your computer from ActiveX problems, it is unneeded because Ff does not use ActiveX controls.

Cheers,
John

Edited by jgweed, 09 September 2006 - 12:20 AM.

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,719 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2006 - 12:33 AM

Ah, but Tea-Timer does more than watch for Active-X. It watches for any registry changes. While it may be annoying to have the alerts pop-up when installing programs, it is great to have it when a key-logger, rootkit, or something else tries to change the registry because then you can block it. I never used IE for my default. I first used Netscape, then I used Mozilla, then I used FireFox.

Orange Blossom

#12 TMacK

TMacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2006 - 12:54 AM

Thanx for all the great information and guidance.
Will call it a night and do the Spybot D/L first thing in the morning...with the Teatimer option.
Once again, the community spirit of BC shines onPosted Image
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#13 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 09 September 2006 - 12:23 PM

Ah, but Tea-Timer does more than watch for Active-X. It watches for any registry changes. While it may be annoying to have the alerts pop-up when installing programs, it is great to have it when a key-logger, rootkit, or something else tries to change the registry because then you can block it. I never used IE for my default. I first used Netscape, then I used Mozilla, then I used FireFox.

Orange Blossom

This is the exact reason that i use it too. It reports any changes that are made within the registry. It then asks if you wish to allow or deny the change, invaluable when a rootkit tries to alter your system registry.

It will pop up nearly everytime you install a new programme and will pop up everytime you delete a programme, so you should allow the registry changes. But if it pops up out of the blue, when no changes have been made by yourself, then you should be wary.

I do not use IE, although Tea-Timer watches for Active-X , it is its registry protector that i use it for.

Edited by graveangel, 09 September 2006 - 12:29 PM.

....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,603 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 03:42 PM

Actually TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical (not all) system Registry keys such as System Startup, ActiveX Distribution Unit, Browser page and Browser Helper Object. When any change is detected to these registry keys, Teatimer displays a pop-up alert asking you to allow or deny the change and if you want Spybot to remember the decision.

TeaTimer also monitors processes that are called/initiated in the system. If the process being initiated matches a list of processes in Spypotís detection files a notification alert is issued. This action gives you the choice to allow the process to load or deny (terminate) it and allows you to make a choice as to how to handle the same process during future detections.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#15 TMacK

TMacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 08:11 PM

Okay...I don't want resort to asking here every time there is a Teatimer pop up window. It was incomplete just like you said jgweed,but I know of a fix if I or anyone else really want to see the entire window.
Got one tonite I don't understand."Change:Value Added,Category;Browser Menu Extension.Resident Show All Original Images,17.10.
Did my weekly scans today,Spybot didn't find anything.Ewido found a few tracking cookies.But didn't change anything to speak of.
Wondering if I should just disable the Teatimer option... don't know enough about registry changes to understand these messages.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users