Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 functional problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nonnox15

nonnox15

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:30 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545.  I have been using Vista 64 bit.

Recently I received notice that Microsoft would end their support of Vista.

My computer (2009) came with a Windows 7 upgrade.

I decided to upgrade to 7 since I can't afford 8 or 10.

After the upgrade to 7 I find that many programs are not running right as well as the computer is slower..

I don't like the Touch Pad, but can't disable it.  The Touch Pad control will come up but won't let me disable the Touch Pad.

Also having difficulty using Firefox and IE.  I am using Google Chrome presently.

I tried to download the driver for the Touch Pad to see if that would help.  No.

I clicked on the Windows Update and I selected search for updates.  For two hours it has been'm searching.

I'm thinking about going back to Vista.  Is there a way to do that without reinstalling Vista which would lose all of  my data on the HDD?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:41 AM

From what I understand, you must have a Windows.OLD file or it can't be done. Here is a link to Microsoft's how-to, I hope it helps. I suggest that before you do this, first make a complete image of your C:// partition to an exterior drive. That will save your OS and data. If worse comes to worst, you can re-image and you have your present system again. So at least you have a safety net so that you don't end up with no operating system. Macrium Reflect free edition will do this for you if you have no other choices.

Other people have had your problem, and found they could not roll back because they did not have a Windows.OLD file. Others found various features would not work properly, as you experienced. As a suggestion, it may be that you need the updated drivers of your hardware for Windows 7, we can't always trust that Vista drivers will always work on a Windows 7 machine.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 nonnox15

nonnox15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:55 PM

Thanks for the information.  I will try that.  A computer shop told me that sometimes there needs to be a clean install of Vista and then upgrade to Windows 7 for it to work.

Don't know if I want to go to Windows 7 or not.

But, the only other choice, as opposed to buying a new operating system, which I can't really afford right now, would be to go to Linux.

I appreciate the reply.   

The last time I look there were something like 70 views and 0 replies.  

Yours is the first.

Thanks.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:21 PM

I would do a complete disk image as ranchhand suggested then do a complete clean install. I am assuming you received an upgrade disk with the Windows 7 key. 

You can do a clean install with upgrade media as explained here.

Clean install of Windows 7 steps. Be prepared for issues updating a clean install of Windows 7.  http://wu.krelay.de/en/

After the install and driver updates download IE11, .NET 4.61, the July 2016 rollup, and the latest servicing stack. If the upgrade disk of Windows 7 is not SP1 then you should download and install the service pack first.

After the install look for any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager and install the appropriate drivers from Dell's support site.

If all you do is basic browsing, email, and internet purchases and do not have mission critical programs that only run in Windows then consider putting linux on it.

For people going from Windows the easiest to migrate to is Mint. There are different versions but for your computer Cinnamon or Mate would be a good choice. You don't need to install it to see if you like it. It can run from RAM and the CD/DVD or a USB flash drive allowing you to determine if linux is something you would be interested in. 

Some Videos

Mint Mate

Mint Cinnamon

#5 nonnox15

nonnox15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:58 PM

Thank you John for the added information.  I will see what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users