Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How many Passwords can store in Keepasss2?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 972 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:18 PM

I use Keepass2 to store my passwords and I was wondering is there any limit on how many passwords you can store in a KDBX file? I currently have over 68 passwords stored in my KDBX file/Keepass2.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:33 PM

I imagine that the limit is limited only by the amount of storage space available for the .kdbx file.  This is nothing other than an encrypted database after all, and those are, in theory, infinitely expandable.

Sixty-eight entries is a drop in the proverbial ocean.  You might want to ask in the discussion forums on the Keepass2Android site if you believe there is a hard limit for some reason.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:56 PM

https://sourceforge.net/p/keepass/discussion/329220/thread/1dd42924/?limit=25#004c

XenofanesSkarak - 2013-05-26
hello
is some threshold for maximum size?
I used to have only a several passwords in database and it had only 50 Kb
but recently I put there hundreds of different passwords so now it has 800 kb and after I put there some more icons it has over 850 kb - in case that my database would have 1 or 2 Mb in future, could it be a problem?
I cannot find some information about this topic
Thanks in advance

Paul
Paul - 2013-05-28
800k is normal for a database with lots of entries.
KeePass doesn't really have a limit, but it needs to be able to load the file into memory to use it.
cheers, Paul

I have a 128kb .kdbx file and over 300 passwords for another point of reference. I think Paul's last sentence above about sums it up.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:09 PM

Thanks Animal.

Since I use Password Safe and its Android Clone PasswdSafe I wasn't motivated enough to do the digging you did.

I simply presume that anything that uses a database is constrained only by hardware considerations, be those memory or external storage.  In theory they could keep expanding indefinitely were these limits not a part of any computing platform.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,733 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:03 PM

You're welcome britechguy. I use KeePass2 and Keepass2Android so I was interested in finding out for my own edification.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#6 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 972 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:06 PM

Thanks Animal. :thumbup2:

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,733 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:33 PM

You're quite welcome SuperSapien64.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users