Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

galaxy s7 user not getting gmail from Outlook distribution list

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 way2ob2se

way2ob2se

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:05 PM

I do a monthly newsletter for a non-profit. I use Win10 and MS Outlook. I send them via 2 distribution lists of approximately 25 email addresses each.  One recipient uses galaxy s7 with gmail account and does not receive the email with pdf newsletter attached.  I have confirmed her address, deleted her address and re-added it, both individually and in the distribution list.  She can receive the newsletter just fine if it's mailed only to her...but not when it's sent from the list.   I don't understand what might be causing this.  I don't get any mail-failure notification.  Everyone else on the list is fine, even other gmail users. She is the poster woman for a sweet old lady, but does NOT understand anything about computers.  She took her phone to a big box computer store, and they told her there is nothing in her spam folder (something I'd asked earlier).   They checked Settings and said it SHOULD work.  There might be something simple that I'm not seeing...and I'm not technical myself either...but right now I'm clueless about how to help her. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:23 PM

Are there issues with any other Gmail users?

This very topic came up a very short while ago (and I commented on it then, too) and in working with that poster it became obvious that Gmail is now placing restrictions on how many simultaneous addresses can be in a given message's "To:" field before they ditch it even before it hits an individual user's inbox.

I seem to recall the original poster saying they had 44 addresses, so that might help if you want to search on it.  We found it would get through if the message was sent to a limited number of recipients in the "To:" field and they broke their "group mailings" into several separate messages (same content) that went to only part of the whole group.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,709 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:00 PM

I knew I'd been a part of a recent conversation on this.   See the thread entitled:  Outlook/Gmail Group Mail Blocked Issue

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 way2ob2se

way2ob2se
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:52 PM

Thanks for the reply. I don't think this is the answer I need though.  As noted, I have other gmail recipients (4) on the same list (26 people) that are receiving the newsletter just fine.  I'm stumped as to why they work, but hers doesn't......and that she can't get it through a list but can when it is sent individually to her. 

So gmail is OK with the distribution list, and gmail is OK with the PDF attachment.  Where else should I look?  I don't know if it's possible that she has some weird setting on her phone, or what it could be, or if it would even be relevant. I've never used my ancient phone to access email.  And it's all she uses as she doesn't have a computer.

P.S. - love the quote on your post.  So true.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,709 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:09 PM

The only thing I can guess, and it's just that, is that she has some filter in place on her account (and probably has no idea she does or that she created it) that triggers Gmail to take the "Delete It" approach when an e-mail of that format comes in.  You mention checking Spam but did you check Trash?

If other Gmail users can receive the message without issue then the problem has to be with the individual Gmail account.  The problem is figuring out what it is, particularly if you have an utterly unsophisticated user.   I would strongly advise you to try taking a look at the filters on this account using the Gmail web interface for same.  My gut tells me you'll find your answer there.  I can't even find a way to get at the Filters via a smartphone.

#6 way2ob2se

way2ob2se
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:23 PM

Thanks for the info Brian.  I think I mentioned the trash file also, but don't know if the store techs actually checked it. I've never seen the phone.  I'm afraid you're right about something being set on her phone.  I shudder just thinking she may have been pushing buttons without knowing anything...but wouldn't be surprised at all.   I was really hoping it was something easy that I was missing so I didn't have to work on the phone with her.  ack - no such luck.  Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users