Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

trying for two

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 johnedee

johnedee

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:06 PM

My first question will be short and sweet. Does anyone know of anyway to use windows 10 with networking (WI-Fi) ? Many tried and untrue solutions I have encountered. The second one isn't so much a question as it it is a bit of a heads up regarding the latest windows 10 cumulative update as of 3/20/17.  

The update is for a patch in their media and DVD software. Many instances of hit or miss as the install goes I found. I had experienced it myself which led me to look into it.

It took 3 attempts to finally get it to stop giving message of "could not install all updates, removed changes". This was after experiencing rather long hang ups during both download and on reboot.

Thanks for your time, and if anyone has an answer to my question I would gladly appreciate it.

Jonnydee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,316 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:17 PM

I'm sorry, but I really don't understand the question about networking as Windows 10 will work with both wired and wireless networks "out of the box" if your hardware includes an ethernet card and/or wireless network adapter.

There were issues with older hardware having WiFi issues in particular after being upgraded to Windows 10 and that's been mostly limited to certain wireless cards.

It would be helpful if you would download Piriform's Speccy program, run it, use the "Publish Snapshot" option in the file menu after Speccy has scanned your system, and then post the URL for the published system specs here.  If you search on "Speccy" many screenshots and step-by-step instructions have been given here, but it boils down to the 5 steps I've noted in the last sentence.  It gives those who want to help you a snapshot about the hardware and software that's being dealt with.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:25 AM

My first question will be short and sweet. Does anyone know of anyway to use windows 10 with networking (WI-Fi) ? Many tried and untrue solutions I have encountered. The second one isn't so much a question as it it is a bit of a heads up regarding the latest windows 10 cumulative update as of 3/20/17.  

Jonnydee

If I am understanding this question correctly, it sounds like maybe a hardware issue or a router issue. Have you called your ISP? That would probably be a good first step.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:08 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?

If this is a latop/notebook it will have its own wifi device, if this is a desktop you will need to provide either a wifi card or USB adapter, this is why I want to know the make and model.

How do you have this computer connected to the modem?  Example:  Computer to router via wifi or Ethernet, then to the modem.

Are you receiving any error messages when you try to connect?  If there are, post the exact message you receive.

Please download and install Farbar Service Scanner.  The download will begin immediately after clicking on the link.

When FSS opens you will see an image like the one below.  

FSS1_zpsed396cd9.png

Place checks in all of the boxes and then click on Scan

When the Scan is complete a log similar to the one below will open.  Copy and then paste this in your topic.

FSS2_zps8ffbee2d.png

Edited by dc3, 23 March 2017 - 09:09 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 johnedee

johnedee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:55 AM

would like to apologize for the post. apparently, while editing it i deleted Safe Mode from text by accident. it should have said "anyway to run safe mode with networking (wi-fi) in windows 10"? there's an option to do so but when it reboots to safe mode, is states "no connections available".  

apologies again to all that have tried to help, 

Mea Culpa, Johnedee

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,316 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:59 AM

See:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode (yes, it includes both with and without Networking)

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:07 AM

Edit:  There was a problem in posting this which delayed this post.

Yes, there is a way to use Safe Mode with Networking.

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the R key to open the Run box.

When the Run box opens type in msconfig, then click/tap OK.

When System Configuration opens click/tap on the Boot tab.  Then select Safe boot and place a check in Network.  Click/tap Apply then OK.

Yes, there is a way to use Safe Mode with Networking.

Edited by dc3, 23 March 2017 - 10:10 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,316 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:19 AM

dc3,

I know that works, too.  What I can't remember is whether that method automatically reverses itself to "normal mode" on subsequent boots or whether you have to go in to uncheck that box/those boxes when you want to reboot to get out of safe mode.  Do you need to uncheck, or do they clear themselves?

~ Brian Vogel

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:36 AM

Thank you for the question, this reminded me that I omitted a important part. :thumbup2:

Windows will continue to boot into Safe Mode until you go back into System Configuration, open the Boot tab and remove the check from Safe boot, this will revert both Safe boot and Network to their default settings.

So, in answer to your question... you need to reverse the setting to stop booting into Safe Mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users