Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with Fan arrangement for 1st build

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Live_Ammo

Live_Ammo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:37 PM

I'm buying a NZXT S340 elite case and I want to make sure I get everything spot on first time. Just a little stuck on Air Flow and Static Pressure fans and the variables in CFM speeds.

1. From the little I have understood would the following fans be ok or would you recommend something otherwise, especially considering airflow pressure?

Corsair Air SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm Fans (front case air intake for kraken 52X liquid cooler) 

Corsair Air AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (top case fan exhaust)

Corsair Air AF120 Quiet Edition 39.9 CFM 120mm Fan (rear case fan exhaust)

2. The rear of the case would be facing the wall, possibly 16-20cm distance. Would this be regarded as 'obstruction of air flow' as I have read obstrusive areas are best dealt with Static pressure fans or does that only apply to super close-up obstacles such as radiators?

3. Are the selected Corsair Air series fan mounts well-designed for vibration reduction, if not, what can I buy in addition to help with anti-vibration? Massive thanks in advance for any advice!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:26 PM

Focused flow, or high static pressure fans are best when mounted directly on a heat sink or radiator.  The higher pressures they can maintain help push air through the restrictive fins.  15-20 cms from a wall is not a restriction where I'd consider it necessary to use one of these fans.

I think it's normally preferable to try to achieve slightly positive case pressure - i.e. more intake than exhaust airflow.  This helps keep dust out.  The opposite, negative case pressure, where you have too much exhaust air flow compared to intake, will likely result in air (and with it dust) being sucked in through panel gaps, drive bays etc.  I've had systems like this in the past, and over the course of months, it's surprising how much dust they pull in...

As far as I know, the Corsair fans are highly rated and quiet. However my personal preference would be for Noctua fans - they have a reputation for excellence although the ugly colour scheme isn't to everyone's taste.. 

Edited by jonuk76, 26 March 2017 - 04:28 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:46 PM

For your processor and motherboard wait a bit before buying if you have not done so already

Ryzen 5 is right around the corner and motherboard prices for overclocking will be lower as the b350 motherboards will allow overclocking at much lower price points.

A ryzen 5 1500X will cost you $189 US and be pretty good for gaming and a lot of Motherboards run as low as $100 US

Availability is your only concern if you go AMD and shave off a good $200 or so off your price

As for the main question I suggest at least one front intake fan to start off with and go up if needed

since you are going liquid though get two front fans so you can mount your radiator to the front.

Also do give the stock fans a shot as some stock fans aree not that bad, those NZXT fans should do and you wont be that noisy if silence is your goal.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#4 Live_Ammo

Live_Ammo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:15 PM

Focused flow, or high static pressure fans are best when mounted directly on a heat sink or radiator.  The higher pressures they can maintain help push air through the restrictive fins.  15-20 cms from a wall is not a restriction where I'd consider it necessary to use one of these fans.

I think it's normally preferable to try to achieve slightly positive case pressure - i.e. more intake than exhaust airflow.  This helps keep dust out.  The opposite, negative case pressure, where you have too much exhaust air flow compared to intake, will likely result in air (and with it dust) being sucked in through panel gaps, drive bays etc.  I've had systems like this in the past, and over the course of months, it's surprising how much dust they pull in...

As far as I know, the Corsair fans are highly rated and quiet. However my personal preference would be for Noctua fans - they have a reputation for excellence although the ugly colour scheme isn't to everyone's taste.. 

Would the following setup produce 'positive pressure'?? Also the intake fans would push the rad heat into the case - any comments?

Fan%20Setup.jpg

Edited by Live_Ammo, 27 March 2017 - 08:17 PM.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,227 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:18 PM

Should do the trick, two intake two outtake should work fine

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#6 Live_Ammo

Live_Ammo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:20 PM

For your processor and motherboard wait a bit before buying if you have not done so already

Ryzen 5 is right around the corner and motherboard prices for overclocking will be lower as the b350 motherboards will allow overclocking at much lower price points.

A ryzen 5 1500X will cost you $189 US and be pretty good for gaming and a lot of Motherboards run as low as $100 US

Availability is your only concern if you go AMD and shave off a good $200 or so off your price

As for the main question I suggest at least one front intake fan to start off with and go up if needed

since you are going liquid though get two front fans so you can mount your radiator to the front.

Also do give the stock fans a shot as some stock fans aree not that bad, those NZXT fans should do and you wont be that noisy if silence is your goal.

I appreciate the savings but I got that old messed up marriage relationship with intel! Even if it becomes obsolete and replaced by far cheaper and 1000 times better tech, who knows the vows may never break 'till death do us part' lol 

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,227 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:23 PM

As you wish but Ryzen is indeed something to look at for a generalized rig right now.

I am already on the road to ryzen and things look nice for me :D

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users