Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CHROME CLEANER TOOL DOWNLOAD

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HYTECREDNECK

HYTECREDNECK

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:06 AM

I was going to download the Chrome Cleaner Tool. Until i read all the comments. At which i was SHOCKED. Can anybody have a objective non emotional conversation about this download. Because now i'm concerned about downloading it. And more concerned about not downloading. It looks pretty useful to me.

Edited by hamluis, 22 March 2017 - 11:08 AM.
Moved from AV/AM Software to All Other Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:25 AM

What comments? Where? I have not found anybody discussing it on Google's website or BC.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:54 AM

I've never heard of it.  If you want a tool that's well known and has an excellent reputation that can do cleaning for any major browser I can think of plus Windows itself and other application programs try Piriform's CCleaner, just don't bother with the Registry Cleaner component.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 Jo*

Jo*

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:01 PM

It is from Google and it is safe Chrome Software Cleaner

Graduate of the WTT Classroom
Cheers,
Jo
If I have been helping you, and I have not replied to your latest post in 36 hours please send me a PM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,471 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:22 PM

It's also mentioned on the BC site in the downloads section, not in forums:  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/chrome-cleanup-tool/

Having done a bit more research, but not that much, I'm not seeing anything that indicates that there's some ongoing furor about this tool.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:57 PM

I've never heard of it.  If you want a tool that's well known and has an excellent reputation that can do cleaning for any major browser I can think of plus Windows itself and other application programs try Piriform's CCleaner, just don't bother with the Registry Cleaner component.

Not sure CCleaner is similar enough to the Chrome Cleaner. Chrome Cleaner can actually remove malicious addons in Chrome. CCleaner only removes temp files, it can't remove browser extensions. Unless something has changed in a recent version.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,471 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:08 PM

Not sure CCleaner is similar enough to the Chrome Cleaner. Chrome Cleaner can actually remove malicious addons in Chrome. CCleaner only removes temp files, it can't remove browser extensions. Unless something has changed in a recent version.

I don't disagree with you one bit.  I was simply going on the name of the thing, never having used it.  Based upon further reading it seems like it's a Chrome focused malware, spyware, unwanted toolbar, and PUP removal tool.

My initial impression was that it was more of a cache/cookies/etc. cleaner.  I was incorrect.

#8 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:19 PM

Temp file cleaning is purely for maintenance and troubleshooting. Ideally, it should never be used.

I am glad Google came out with this cleaner tool, since browsers have become the new Trojan Horse. I saw this coming back when I installed Mozilla Communicator.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,471 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:09 PM

Temp file cleaning is purely for maintenance and troubleshooting. Ideally, it should never be used.

We'll simply have to agree to disagree on that particular point.   I make a regular habit of using CCleaner to do housekeeping cleaning for temp files along with cookies, cache, and a number of other bits of tidying up.   There are just too many programs out there, to this very day, that are not good at all about cleaning up after themselves and leaving all kinds of trash lying around and taking up disc space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users