Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is "?trackid=sp-006"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Linaleeks

Linaleeks

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:04 AM

Hey Bleeping Computer community, 

First post here, even though I use information from the forums all the time.

Please note, I have already solved the issue being explained; I want to know the "WHY" and "HOW". I recently had a customer that was complaining that all the sites he would try to go to in the Chrome browser would direct him to the German version of the site. I found this to be true when I was simply trying to download Belarc Advisor on his computer to take a profile of it; it took me to belarc.com/de/. I also noted the "?trackid=sp-006" being added to the end of my Google searches. 

Long story short, I ended up figuring out why: I went into Chrome settings and looked at the "On startup" section. *Something* had changed his options to "Open a specific page or set of pages", and in there I found "https://www.google.com/?trackid=sp-006". I removed this, problem solved. 

Other people have mention that is was also under "Search" ---> "Manage Search Engines" in the Settings menu of Chrome. The Google search engine had "?trackid=sp-006" attached to it somewhere, and as soon as they removed the "?trackid=sp-006" part it was fine. That was not my case, but I thought it would be good to mentioned as it solved others problems.

This is what I want to know: Why does this happen? How does this happen? If this resulted from some type of browser infection, how does the hacker benefit from it? Should I be worried that some of my clients information may be at risk or that his browsing history was being tracked, or is this simply something that has redirected their internet traffic? Is my client threatened in anyway by this?

It may seem like I'm over reacting a bit to the situation; I fixed the problem and he's doesn't have to learn German. But I want to stop simply fixing things for my clients and, instead, find out the why and how so I may better understand the situation and future situations. 

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:08 PM

Some forms of malware. As well as some shady browser addons and PUPS are your most likely suspects. There are most likely other ways the browser search can be hijacked. But these are the ones I'm aware of.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users