Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft forces Windows 7 & 8 to upgrade to Windows 10

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 nirmalkant

nirmalkant

• Banned Spammer
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:42 AM

I recently found this new on Business standard that Windows 7 & 8 have to upgrade it to Win 10. Is it really necessary? I mean they produced the best OS till date is Win 7 and they are just forcing everyone to upgrade. Its sad, what if i don't turn on the automatic update in my computer? Will then also I need to upgrade also? 

Thanks for reply in advance!

Nirmal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:44 AM

I recently found this new on Business standard

What is it that you are referring to? There is no requirement to upgrade to Windows 10.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:44 AM

nirmalkant is probably referring to this....Microsoft Forces Owners of Recent CPU Architectures to Use Windows 10

QUOTE A BIT:.......Users of new CPU architectures will not receive Windows 7 and 8.1 updates anymore, according to a Microsoft support topic published last week.

This means that if you've purchased one of those super-expensive 7th generation CPU models in the past few months, you'll have to update to Windows 10 if you want to receive any security updates.

Currently, Windows 7 and 8.1 users will receive the following error when scanning or attempting to download Windows updates...........

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:54 AM

Nothing extraordinary here, IMO.  See MS Announcement.

This has been happening for years...by virtue of lack of prior O/S driver support for systems which have more recent architecture.  Adding lack of Windows Updates to lack of driver support...is not particularly significant when the system has no driver support and therefore the O/S and system cannot operate properly.

The sky is not falling.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 March 2017 - 05:57 AM.

#5 anorkneemerse

anorkneemerse

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:37 AM

http://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/289451-march-2017-preview-of-monthly-quality-rollup-for-windows-7-for-x64-based-systems-kb4012218-no-more-windows-7-updates/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/22801/windows-7-sp1-and-windows-server-2008-r2-sp1-update-history

" Enabled detection of processor generation and hardware support when PC tries to scan or download updates through Windows Update."

Wow.! ....... M$ are stopping updating support for certain users with Windows Update = WU is like a malware and/or ransomware.

Those who have bought the expensive Intel Kabylake and AMD Ryzen chips, and are running Win 7/8.1 will have to avoid the monthly Quality Rollups from April 2017 onward and only install the monthly Security-Only updates or they can make do without any updates(= practice safe-browsing) or move to MacOS or Linux.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:04 AM

Ah, unsupported hardware. It certainly happens, always has. But seems to me if specific hardware wasn't going to be supported through the stated support lifecycle of a Windows version, then that version shouldn't be able to install onto the hardware, then later have the support pulled.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:04 AM

I am farming more penguins for my company. The very few Win 10 machines we have have been a disaster. MS can take their dirty tactics and go home.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:40 AM

I am farming more penguins for my company. The very few Win 10 machines we have have been a disaster. MS can take their dirty tactics and go home.

:thumbsup:

Microsoft is going to get a lot of people mad for this latest trick. As Platypus said, you were able to install the OS on the comptuer, it runs fine but because of Microsoft tactics, you will no longer get security updates through Windows Updates. It still needs to be confirmed if a person can download and install updates through the catalog.

http://www.ghacks.net/2017/03/17/microsoft-blocks-updates-for-new-cpus-on-windows-7-and-8-1/

Is there another option besides upgrading the operating system to Windows 10? Updates that are released for Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 are also made available on the Microsoft Update Catalog website.

I don't have access to one of the processors mentioned on the support page, but it is possible that manual installation of updates released for Windows 7 or 8.1 still works. While this means more work for the user, as it is necessary to monitor update releases to run searches on the Microsoft Update Catalog whenever they are released, it may be an option to keep on using the older version of Windows.

Microsoft does not mention this explicitly on the support page, but it does not deny it either.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:56 AM

Well...a simple look at the stats...and any recall of MS practices since they decided to push 8, 8.1, and 10 versions...could have led to predicting this move, IMO.  In particular, the sabotage (yes, sabotage) they inflicted on users of Win 7 updating during the last year...was an indication that even more blatant measures might be forthcoming.

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

Louis

Note that this topic was initiated by banned spammer.  I would normally delete such but I am just going to close this one since I believe that the comments from others may be of some value to the unknowing..

Edited by hamluis, 23 March 2017 - 09:49 AM.

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,747 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:36 AM

I will stick with Windows 7 Ultimate and M/Soft can go suck eggs. I am currently investigating Linux, probably will start with Mint or Puppy. I think the Linux star is rising as M/Soft's reputation is sinking.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users