Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what sd card for the canon powershot a1400 is

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 nickos

nickos

• Members
  • 206 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:23 AM

good morning to all,

please, i forgot to ask what sd card is compatible with the canon powershot a1400 is

sorry for my question but i don't know what sd cards can be used for those digital compact cameras since there different types like microsd, sdhc and microsd that need a special adaptor

i have bought a cheap used canon powershot a1400 just to get some experience before i buy anything better (after so many years with film the experience with a digital compact is different)

thanks in advance

Edited by nickos, 22 March 2017 - 11:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:31 AM

The support page for your camera is:  https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/point-and-shoot/slim-stylish-cameras/powershot-a1400

The image storage is noted as an SD, SDHC, or SDXC card which is the "normal sized" SD card (a bit less than 1" square), not a micro SD card  (see images of regular, mini, and micro SD cards on this wikipedia page, along with more details).  The HC simply means High Capacity (up to 32GB) and XC eXtended Capacity (up to 2TB).

If you're just shooting photographs the speed class of the card will be irrelevant.  If you're doing video then it might be.  The wikipedia page in the section on Speed Class explains this pretty well.

A multi-gigabyte Class 10 SDHC card that would hold more photos than you could probably take at high resolution (presuming JPG storage, not raw) in several years is dirt cheap these days.  A 1 GB capacity card holds an awful lot of photos.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 nickos

nickos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 206 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:13 AM

good afternoon dear britechguy,

i thank you so much for your kind reply

i haven't yet tested the camera since i wanted to know first what sd cards are compatible

i really do not understand why those digital compact have so awkward menus and settings

thanks again for the reply

Edited by nickos, 22 March 2017 - 11:14 AM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,628 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:02 PM

i thank you so much for your kind reply

i haven't yet tested the camera since i wanted to know first what sd cards are compatible

i really do not understand why those digital compact have so awkward menus and settings

thanks again for the reply

You're quite welcome.

You really should review the Owner's Manual and/or Quick Start Guides available at the support page for your camera.  They can answer virtually any questions (at least 99% of the common ones) you have.

As to the awkwardness of menus and settings on these devices that's largely because you have very limited "button capacity" on the device and none I've dealt with yet use touch screens.  When all you've got is a round "4-way" chooser, OK button, and perhaps up to 3 or 4 other buttons you have to come up with some very creative ways to lay out and navigate menus.  This is where the Owner's manual comes in handy both for general navigation and for allowing you to find where a given seldom-used setting is located without having to take tons of time trying to figure it out and coming up empty.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 nickos

nickos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 206 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:10 PM

hi again dear friend dear britechguy,

many many thanks for your kind reply

i have read the pdf manual from start to end but again the menus and settings are too awkward and i fully agree with you 

i just bought that camera because of the low price (40 euros used in mint condition) just to learn before i buy a better one

thanks

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:38 PM

One thing at least - the Canon Powershot / Sureshot ranges were excellent pocket cameras, still are in fact. We have had three of them, two of them still in regular use. I admit one of them died after somethng like 7-8,000 images - the zoom got rough and noisy - but the other two have given us no trouble at all and the one my wife uses most must be coming up to something like 40,000 images by now.

I agree that moving around the menus is a fiddly process but if you eventually move up to a DSLR you will find the the menus somewhat easier to access if rather more complex!

Chris Cosgrove

#7 nickos

nickos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 206 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:58 AM

good morning dear friend chris,

i thank very much you for your reply

as far i read on the net the canon powershot a 1400 is really good and i feel lucky buying this camera at a cheap price

i had some fifteen years old ni-mh (size aa 500 mha) rechargeable batteries but i don't know if will be charged or if i have to buy new ones

thanks in advance

Edited by nickos, 23 March 2017 - 01:09 AM.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:19 AM

i had some fifteen years old ni-mh (size aa 500 mha) rechargeable batteries but i don't know if will be charged or if i have to buy new ones

You'd be lucky to have batteries that old still work, but more significant probably, 500 mAh batteries wouldn't have enough capacity to operate a camera for very long.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 nickos

nickos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 206 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:52 AM

hi dear platypus,

i really don't know if those old batteries can be charged 

the capacity is not great but when i was using them on my slave flashes was ok, the price was high too almost 3.40 euros each

i will try to charge them for three hours and see

thanks

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,628 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:03 AM

I gather things must be different in Cyprus, but you should be able to source NiMH rechargeable batteries with at least a 1500 mAh rating for very little.  These can be charged in the same charger as NiCD batteries can without issue.

You'd be better off buying disposable batteries than frustrating yourself with the ones you have.

#11 nickos

nickos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 206 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:36 AM

hi dear britechguy,

four aa size rechargeable batteries 2850 mAh with charger will cost euros 27.50

i think the price is good

http://www.eshopcy.com.cy/ansmann-photo-cam-iii-set-p-PER.912261

#12 violetrose

violetrose

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:28 PM

Hi Nickos,

My first digital camera was a small Canon Powershot which was similar to your A1400. I do understand how confusing digital photography is if you are only familiar with last century film cameras. Screens, buttons, menus - grrr - where to start?

Well, look at it this way. You have a new 'toy'. Go out and 'play' with it. Set it to Auto mode first and just point & shoot - then try some of the Program modes - do some video. Then be amazed at how good some of the results are !  Better still, the results are instant. No more waiting for films to be developed! Digital photography is magic! If you make mistakes and some photos are out of focus etc - just delete them.

When you have taken some photos, the next step is to put them in your computer. There should be a SD slot in your computer for this. If not, it is useful to get a card reader. Best thing to do here is go to a shop which sells accessories for cameras. Ask them about a SDHC card for your camera and a matching card reader. Also ask them about batteries. Sometimes, as britechguy suggested, it is better to use disposable batteries.

I found a YouTube video which I hope will be helpful for you.

Cheers  :)

#13 nickos

nickos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 206 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:54 AM

hi to all,

dear violetrose i thank you so much for your kind reply

i will watch the video