Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rapid clicking (not a fan) and 3 led flashes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 am4444

am4444

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:13 AM

Hello.

I recently powered down my computer(after several eternities of not doing so) and tried to turn it on I only to find my keyboard is unresponsive (I assume the mouse is as well) in addition the SATA port 0, the SSD, returns junk as the name (U FF AUlrUu tFf'f...etc)

When I turn it on:

1.several rapid clicks on the boot screen, but once it got to bios, no more clicks (I can confirm it is not a part hitting a fan)

2.all of the LEDs on the keyboard are off save for the Numlock key and won't respond

3. The SSD returns a junk name

I tested all the ram sticks one by one, and they all hailed similar results. Except when I ran it with no ram, then there was no clicling. Just the regular two short beeps

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 am4444

am4444
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:15 AM

One last detail forgot! While it is booting the LEDs do three short flashes.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:32 AM

Unplug and replug all your cables & connections. Reseat your video card (if you have one) and any internet card (if you have one).

Connect your mouse and keyboard to another computer to test that they are operating correctly.

Reset the CMOS back to factory default.

Try to boot into Safe Mode, and if you can, will the computer run normally for a few minutes?

Do you have a hard disk connected in addition to your SSD?

Edited by ranchhand_, 22 March 2017 - 11:04 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:44 AM

After extended "off" periods, some machines get get stupid and won't boot properly.  The CMOS battery that keeps the BIOS settings can grow weak or die and this will scramble things.  Loads of faults, seemingly unrelated and intermittent booting are all symptoms.

#5 am4444

am4444
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:39 PM

I have no hard drive connected. I can confirm the fast clicks are not mechanical as they only appear when there's ram inside.

I'll try to hunt down the CMOS battery and get this thing reset.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:22 PM

Is it possible the clicking noise is coming from your system speaker(s)?

What happened when you tried booting into safe mode?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users