Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A few questions regarding malware programs

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 razz3333

razz3333

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:46 PM

Hi all, nice to have joined this forum.

I have the latest paid version of Kaspersky Total Security and I also have the latest free version of WinPatrol.  I've had Kaspersky installed for just over one year and during that time periodically ran on demand scans with Malwarebytes free.  I've never had a malware problem, thank goodness.

Currently I am running 3 malware programs in order to test them (basically see what I think of them).  All three are free versions that are still in the trial period.  After the trial period I do not plan on upgrading to the paid versions.  All 5 programs co-exist very well with no problems.  

The 3 malware programs I am running are: Malwarebytes, Reason Core Security and MalwareFox.

I have 4 questions::

(1) In your opinion, which is the best and the worst of these three?

(2) Considering I have Kaspersky Total Security, would it be of any benefit to upgrade to the paid version of one or more of them?

(3) Is SpyBot Search and Destroy still an active company and if so, is it worth considering?

(4) Are there any other malware programs that you would recommend?

Thank you in advance for your time and effort, it will be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:21 PM

1) Although I never used MalwareFox, I would still say Malwarebytes because it has a proven track record.
2) An Anti-virus is not enough for comprehensive protection. You also need an anti-malware solution which works in real-time...meaning a paid for version.
3) mvps.org and many security experts are no longer recommending Spybot S&D (or Ad-Aware) due to poor testing results and ineffectiveness against current malware threats.
4) See Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 razz3333

razz3333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:39 PM

2) An Anti-virus is not enough for comprehensive protection. You also need an anti-malware solution which works in real-time...meaning a paid for version.

4) See Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools.

2) So I assume you use Malwarebytes Premium for your real time anti-malware?

4) I am checking the info you provided in your link now.  :-)

Thank you very much Bleepin' Janitor for your advice, I greatly appreciate it.  

Edited by razz3333, 23 March 2017 - 06:40 PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,388 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:45 PM

Yes I have Malwarebytes Premium and you're welcome.

#5 razz3333

razz3333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:02 PM

Yes I have Malwarebytes Premium

Good to know.  I had not planned on running real time anti-malware protection - i.e. Malwarebytes Premium - because I was hoping Kaspersky Total Secuirty was enough real time protection along with regular on-demand scanning with Malwarebytes Free.  But now, because of your advice, I will strongly consider it.

By the way, I also use MVPS Host file and uBlock Origin in my Chrome browser.

One more question: because I use MVPS Host file, is it worth also using SpywareBlaster?

Edited by razz3333, 23 March 2017 - 07:04 PM.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:58 PM

For me, I found SpywareBlaster just fine for controlling the host file -- I no longer do the mvps host download & install.  The only difference between the pay-for and the free is that the pay-for, if set to do so, will do automatic updates without further input from you.

Edited by RolandJS, 23 March 2017 - 08:00 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,388 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:05 PM

For me, I found SpywareBlaster just fine for controlling the host file -- I no longer do the mvps host download & install...

Same here.

#8 razz3333

razz3333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:29 PM

For me, I found SpywareBlaster just fine for controlling the host file -- I no longer do the mvps host download & install.  The only difference between the pay-for and the free is that the pay-for, if set to do so, will do automatic updates without further input from you.

Excuse my ignorance: from what I understand, I must choose between running either SpywareBlaster or MVPS - i.e. updating MVPS and then running SpywareBlaster just won't be beneficial - is that correct?

#9 razz3333

razz3333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:40 PM

quietman7, regarding the article "How to detect vulnerable and out-dated programs using Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI)"

as found within the link you gave me in (4) earlier, I noticed the article was published in 2010.  Is Secunia PSI still the best software updater?

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,388 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:49 PM

A HOSTS file will prevent your browser from visiting (connecting to) the sites included in the HOSTS file and by extension block ads, banners, third-party Cookies and browser hijackers.

SpywareBlaster restricts the actions of potentially dangerous sites by adding a list of sites and domains associated with known spyware, advertisers and marketers to the browser's "Restricted Sites Zone". It prevents the installation of ActiveX-based malware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted software and blocks tracking cookies. SpywareBlaster allows you to create a System Snapshot...an image of various system settings. This feature can be used to restore important browser and system settings to their previous state if your computer is ever infected with spyware or altered by unwanted programs. Under the Tools section Hosts Safe allows you to store encrypted backup copies of the HOSTS file which can be used to restore (roll-back to a previous state) if the HOSTS file becomes corrupted or altered by malware infection...see Javacoolsoftware Support: What is a Hosts file? Other settings allow you to disable and block Flash in Internet Explorer, add Custom Blocking and more.

How does SpywareBlaster actually work? It adds sites to the restricted zones by adding the domain as a subkey under the registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains. A dword is then added to that domain named * and given a hex value of 4 to specify that it is part of the Restricted Sites Zone. More specifically, Spywareblaster sets the "killbit" on the CLSID (Class ID) of known spyware. Every program has a CLSID that is unique to the type of program. Once Spywareblaster enables (writes) those killbits they are "locked in" and any identified spyware cannot be opened. Spywareblaster writes these killbits in and then stays off until you need to re-write them again with an update. Why is all this important? Some types of malware are known to alter Trusted Zones, Ranges and ProtocolDefaults set for a browser.

SpywareBlaster is not intrusive since the program does not run in the background and provide real-time protection like other security tools. Instead it focuses on prevention and passive protection without utilizing unnecessary running processes or consuming system (CPU, memory) resources. The program only requires installation and then enabling of all protection. After that you only have to check periodically for database updates using the built-in "Check for Updates" feature and then enable all protection again. Since SpywareBlaster does not use a real-time protection module, it supplements your existing security software without causing any conflicts. SpywareBlaster can be used with Internet Explorer and many other popular browsers such as Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Netscape, Seamonkey, Flock...see here.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,388 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:51 PM

quietman7, regarding the article "How to detect vulnerable and out-dated programs using Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI)"
as found within the link you gave me in (4) earlier, I noticed the article was published in 2010.  Is Secunia PSI still the best software updater?

There are other similar programs but PSI is still one of the best and often recommended here at BC.

#12 razz3333

razz3333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:02 PM

quietman7, thanks a million for all your effort and time in helping me understand all this anti-malware stuff.  I still have miles to go but learning a bit every day.  :-)

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,388 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:04 PM

You're welcome.

#14 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:21 AM

There are other similar programs but PSI is still one of the best and often recommended here at BC.

Just for info...PSI Version 2  becomes 'End of Life' on March 31

Some users are not happy about this.

https://secuniaresearch.flexerasoftware.com/community/forum/thread/show/15843/psi_2_0_is_end_of_life_upgrade_to_the_latest_version

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,388 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 04:51 AM

More about that in this discussion topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users