Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

An Error Occurred

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 bob007

bob007

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:11 PM

Hi guys,

I'm running Mint 18 and have for several months without any problems till yesterday.

Updates were available so I installed them and I got...your system is up to date.  I then clicked Refresh and I got...An error occurred and this message...

W: http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/op/stable/debian/dists/lsb3.2/Release.gpg: Signature by key E5220FB7014D0FBDA50DFC2BE5E86C008AA65D56 uses weak digest algorithm (SHA1)

Is it something I should worry about...can it be fixed or do I ignore it ?  OS is running fine as far as I can tell...any help would be much appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:49 PM

I would post this problem at the Linux Mint Forums as perhaps someone may already have had the same error and may have a solution.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#3 bob007

bob007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:34 PM

Thanks Toolman...a great idea.   :thumbup2:

#4 bob007

bob007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:43 PM

So after all this time still only one reply...I know I'm not the only new member to be ignored when asking for help as some don't get even one reply which is shameful to say the least.  The whole purpose of joining is to learn about Linux and get help when needed but it seems to me if the problem is too hard just ignore it.

Out of all the members on this forum only one (Thanks Toolman) replied...what does it say for the rest.  Why is Linux not as popular as it should be...one of the clues might well be on this forum.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,394 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:12 PM

Out of all the members on this forum only one (Thanks Toolman) replied...what does it say for the rest.

It says they do not know what the error means or how to fix it and as such there is no use replying with off topic stuff.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,040 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:28 PM

It might also say there is general discontent within the ranks, and the 'usual' people to answer have either been banned, frowned upon, or have lost interest ....

Best of luck, Bob. Looks like the linux mint forums may be your best shot.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:05 AM

Hi, Bob.

So after all this time still only one reply...I know I'm not the only new member to be ignored when asking for help as some don't get even one reply which is shameful to say the least.  The whole purpose of joining is to learn about Linux and get help when needed but it seems to me if the problem is too hard just ignore it.

Out of all the members on this forum only one (Thanks Toolman) replied...what does it say for the rest.  Why is Linux not as popular as it should be...one of the clues might well be on this forum.

I think Nick's probably right in this instance. Personally, I haven't used any of the 'buntu-based distros for getting on for 3 years.....so any advice I might tender would be hopelessly out-of-date (and my 'tenure' with Mint was very brief, anyway). Puppy is totally unique in so many respects.

Plus, much of the 'buntus terminal stuff I never really got my head round, anyway.....and since Pup's Package Manager doesn't work even remotely along the same lines as Synaptic, etc., there honestly wouldn't be much point my trying to give advice. 

And I don't like to 'waffle' for the sake of it.....

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 08 April 2017 - 11:02 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#8 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:41 AM

... and get help when needed...

Unfortunately you are going to continue to be disappointed, if this is what you expect on internet forums where everyone that offers advice does so voluntarily. As Nick said, occasions do arise when nobody who might be prepared to help, has any idea what the problem might be. We do actually fare reasonably well here in this respect however. Take for example the Newbie Questions section on the Linux Mint forums, as they have already been mentioned. At this moment in time, it has 4 unanswered topics on the first page, and another 4 on the second page. Compare that to our much smaller, quieter, Linux forum here. That's not to say a word against Linux Mint forums, where I am also a member; it just goes to show that topics going unanswered on internet forums where everyone who gives advice is a volunteer, is not unusual.

Supposing someone other than you had made your complaint here. Would you feel any responsibility towards them? Perhaps you would think that you should have made more effort to respond to their posts? If not, then please don't expect anyone here to feel responsible for your topic only receiving one response, either. We volunteers here do our best, but "real" life always comes first. I don't imagine you are any different in this respect.

Regarding your problem; issues with updates are often distro specific. As nobody had responded to your topic after a couple of days, I thought The-Toolman's response was perfectly adequate. Directing you to where you are likely to find the greatest number of Linux Mint users was good advice, in my opinion. I can't imagine what more you expect from volunteers who don't know the answer to your question.

#9 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 08 April 2017 - 09:36 AM

Hey bob007,

Here is a link to the error which appears to be related to yours that I found. 

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=224904

Hopefully this will help to explain what might be happening.

The Toolman

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#10 bob007

bob007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:28 AM

To the two members who sent me a PM...thank you and I agree with you both 100%.

I am at a loss to understand the attitude of Moderators and some members on this Forum...who like to belittle or ignore new members for their own amusement as I have found.

Moderators are very quick to issue warnings on this so called fun Forum again as I have found...now I hear the Wizard From OZ has been banned.  I found the Wizard to be the most helpful and friendly and his knowledge of Linux far beyond most on this Forum...yet he's now banned...what did he do ?  kill someone!!!    

Hey Wizard don't worry mate...I wont be coming back on this Forum till you're reinstated and others should do the same.  :thumbup2:

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,040 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 03:37 AM

Many members have expressed similar sentiments privately to me, Bob

This forum is not the same without Wiz's quick wit.......and his missing input leaves the place lacking. Wiz was certainly one of our more knowledgeable volunteers.

I would dearly have liked to see his input to the question you asked.......at the very least the answer would have been entertaining.....and most likely full of fact and the usual precision that Wiz is renowned for.

It is also equally possible that he may have 'digressed' a tad...but no more so than has already occurred since your initial post.

This forum is a poorer place for his absence.

The 'shine' we had appears to have dissipated somewhat.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#12 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:35 AM

I am at a loss to understand the attitude of Moderators and some members on this Forum...who like to belittle or ignore new members for their own amusement as I have found.

It's unfortunate if you feel "belittled" by my answer to your complaint about the lack of responses to your topic, but the reason for my response was quite simply that you complained. Dealing with complaints certainly does not amuse me.

If all I did here was deal with people who complain, I probably wouldn't bother. The main reason for my participation here has always been to help others, and I would think the same can be said for most other members who post here on a regular basis. I do not take into account how long a member has been a member for when answering questions, and can't think why anyone else would either. I've certainly never noticed anyone ignoring new members on the basis that they are new members, and am not sure how you could know the reason that a new member is being ignored, if it does happen. So once again, your complaints appear to be unfounded.

what did he do ?

We don't disclose details of private discussions in public.

Because you have taken this topic off-topic, it is now closed.

If you have any more complaints in the future about the forum and/or its members, please use the BleepingComputer Announcements, Comments, & Suggestions forum to make them in.

Edited by Al1000, 27 April 2017 - 06:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users