Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NETIO.sys BSOD

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Zurrieq

Zurrieq

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:25 PM

Hi

Can someone kindly tell me what is causing the latest BSOD netio.sys. Never had one like it. And this is my first actual BSOD while running windows 10

My system specs

OS: Windows 10 Home x64 (upgraded from a fresh installation Windows 7 Home in October)
CPU Core 2 quad 9550

RAM 8GB Corsair Dominator (4x2GB sticks)
Video Card GTX1060 (got it as a present in october (just before installing windows 10) and am planning to change mobo in the summer but could not keep this vga in the box xP)
MotherBoard Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

EVGA 850w PSU

Case HAF 922

Did have a few reboots in the beginning which I solved by disabling fast boot. Do have the occassional nvidia driver stopped responding error but touch wood it has been a while since I had it.

One thing which I think might have triggered it (this is the first time I got the BSOD - yesterday). AVG updated itself to version 2017 and maybe it is now clashing with Adguard? Been running Adguard with AVG (2016) on both windows 7 and windows 10 without any problems before this and I thought that might be it since it is the only change I made to the system apart from data cleaning and backups in the weekend.

Also updated my current system temps and voltages (nothing is overclocked)

Thanks

Zurrieq

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,028 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:49 PM

Hi, Zurrieq,

You are right — I believe that Adguard and AVG are conflicting with each other. From the surface, the debugger immediately blames an AVG driver:

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for avgStm.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for avgStm.sys

However, if we dump the raw stack:

3: kd> dps ffff9b8137d88000 ffff9b8137d8e000
…
ffff9b81`37d8c138  fffff806`0efbb280Unable to load image adgnetworkwfpdrv.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for adgnetworkwfpdrv.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for adgnetworkwfpdrv.sys
 adgnetworkwfpdrv+0xb280
…

we see an Adguard driver. Uninstall Adguard and see whether if the system stabilizes.

Regards,

bwv848

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 Zurrieq

Zurrieq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:05 AM

Hi 

bwv848

Thanks for your reply.

From what you showed me it could be the WFP driver that seems to be the issue? I have done a google search and this issue seems to be all over the place with previous versions of adguard. Obviously updating from 2016 to 2017 seems to have broken something again which adguard need to address....

Before I completely uninstall (since this has been my first BSOD) I have disabled the adguard WFP driver to see if actually does anything. Do you agree?

The issue is I do not know how I can repeat the conditions that caused the BSOD since I was simply browsing and watching youtube at the time....

Thanks

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:14 AM

Hi, Zurrieq,

How did you disable the driver through Adguard's settings? :)

Regards,

bwv848

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 Zurrieq

Zurrieq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:52 PM

Hi

These are the settings I did....

Disabled the WFP driver in adguard(cause apparently when enabled it uses a more recent version that is not as stable as the older one, when disabled it uses the classic more stable version of the driver)

Added an exception in avg under software analyser.

Hopefully that does the trick :)

Thanks

Attached Files

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:55 PM

Sounds like a plan, Zurrieq! Please keep me posted! :thumbup2:

Regards,

bwv848

#7 Zurrieq

Zurrieq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:00 PM

Yes will do!

As I said first BSOD ever on windows 10.... don't know how to repeat it so I don't know what is going to happen.... Not like when I used to have a vga issue on my older PC which I could trigger when using a particular game. Now it simply happened when browsing and youtubing.... 

Since this seems to be network related (could be an issue caused when both programs were scanning my network traffic, any ideas of a software that can stress my network connections and see if it goes again?

Surely I will keep you posted if something happens fingers crossed that nothing does though xP

Thanks

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:09 PM

I think the best network stress is to stream a live YouTube video, and see how it behaves. :) BTW, if you miss having BSODs you simulate one using Mark Russinovich's BlueScreen Screen Saver. :P

Regards,
bwv848

#9 Zurrieq

Zurrieq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:56 PM

I did stream some stuff for about 2 hours and everything was stable (streamed in the background) while I was doing some work on the pc. From what I noticed though the speed used was barely 1-3Mbps during the stream.

Do you think maybe leaving a 4k videos for 1 hour would be good enough? As seen in the screen a 4k video can use about 54Mbps at a given time and usually averages at around 30Mbps. Also how long would you suggest that I leave it on?

I hate leaving my pc on unattended as at the moment there is some maintenance on the electricity grid going on and do not want to risk a power cut while my pc is on so to speak and so am not leaving my PC overnight or while I am at work.

Thanks

Attached Files

Edited by Zurrieq, 22 March 2017 - 04:59 PM.

#10 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:00 PM

Honestly, I would just continue to use the computer normally for two weeks. That includes streaming videos, browsing the web — anything you do on a daily basis. If you experience no BSODs after two weeks, then we can say the problem is solved. :)

Regards,

bwv848

#11 Zurrieq

Zurrieq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:03 PM

What I also noticed is that according to process explorer, adguard is using more cpu time than a 4k video LOL. And as seen both AVG and Adguard are working during the video playback

Attached Files

#12 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:10 PM

Weird... I'm not sure what exactly is going on. Curiously, does Adguard block ads only in your browser? :)

Regards,

bwv848

#13 Zurrieq

Zurrieq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:21 PM

Well what I noticed is that Adguard filters all network traffic just like AVG would do. Streaming a movie on another program that is not a browser (eg Kodi) still results in Adguard and AVG filtering network traffic.

Will do some testing tomorrow and see what happens and will keep you posted.

I don't have programs that have ads inbuilt so I cannot see if adguard blocks them also but it does check all network traffic even that is not coming from a browser.

Thanks

Edited by Zurrieq, 22 March 2017 - 05:21 PM.

#14 Zurrieq

Zurrieq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:37 PM

3hours of Kodi streaming + 2 live streams on youtube + 1 4k (3hr video) done!

No issues yet....

I think it is just a one off leaving it abit more to see.

Attached Files

#15 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:45 PM

Glad to hear!

-bwv848

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users