Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files copied to usb drive subsequently vanish!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Number_6

Number_6

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:13 PM

In Windows 10, I have a bizarre problem copying folders to a 128 GB USB drive that's listed as having an exFAT file system.

I've tried copying folders from my hard disk and from a 32 gb USB drive that shows up as FAT32.

Some folders show the right files in them; but several *appear* to copy correctly, showing good listings of files, but when I subsequently "eject" the 132 GB drive, and then plug it in again, the files are not there.

I've tried copying whole folders, and individual files, and the result is always the same:  initi8ally they show up, but subsequently they are missing.

One clue:  when I do a COPY from either my hdd or the USB drive, the following message shows up:  "Compressed Folder.  Please insert the last disk of the multi-volume set and click OK to complete."

The same thing happens when I create a new folder on the 128 GB drive and copy individual files to it--they are gone when I EJECT and subsequently re-insert the thumb drive.

So, 2 obvious questions:  what's going on here, and how do I copy files to this drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:16 PM

Who is the manufacturer of the USB drive and did you purchase from a reputable seller?  There's a chance that the drives may be labeled as 128GB, but actually be much smaller.

#3 Number_6

Number_6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:26 PM

I am unable to determine the mfr, but it does appear to be a 128 gb drive; I bought another 128 gb drive at the same time, it looks identical from the outside and they both show ~50 gb on them.  I do notsuspect that they are labelled improperly.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:47 PM

Is the 128GB flash drive used between a Mac and a PC? If not I would consider backing up the data on it and formatting the drive as NTFS. See if the files disappear using NTFS on the 128GB drive.

#5 Number_6

Number_6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2018 - 10:29 AM

Here is an update to this problem, for anyone interested:

The problem lies somewhere in Windows 10.

To determine this, I copied some of the "problematic" files to an 8 gb PNY thumb drive.  I then plugged both the 8 GB drive and the (unbranded) 128 GB drive into an XP machine, and copied the files from the 8 GB drive to the 128 GB drive without a problem.

This suggests that the problem lies somewhere in Windows 10 and not with the drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users