Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pop ups and other glitchy behavior

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 enfant terrible

enfant terrible

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:55 PM

I am experiencing pop ups. I also have glitchy behavior in gmail; often when I click on something there it does not respond and I have to reload the page to get anywhere. Malwarebytes shows nothing wrong, and I've tried to run Avast, but it won't run--I just get a message that says "running your full virus scan now" but it's stuck at 1% and the little circle thingie just keeps going around and around. I suspect I'm infected with some sort of malware that has disabled it. TIA for any help anyone can give. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 enfant terrible

enfant terrible
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:47 PM

I just got avast to work and did a full scan. Nothing revealed there, either. 

#3 Avast_Team

Avast_Team

Authorized Avast Rep

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:30 PM

Hm, are these popups coming from the browser? Or on your desktop?

If you've installed Avast Free (or a paid version) I'd recommend making certain that Web Shield is turned on, and also check for malicious/fishy browser extensions. Make sure that the "Avast self-defense module" is enabled so programs can't disable it without warning.

I'd also run a cleanup tool -- we have Avast Cleanup and there are also other tools available, your choice! Any of them will scan for "junk" that might be making the situation worse, e.g. tracking cookies and such.

Finally, I'd also recommend disconnecting the computer from the Internet and running a boot time scan. It's possible whatever adware is there is re-populating itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users