Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Works A Few Hours Then "Err-Timed-Out".. Only A Restart Fixes It

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Gorguruga

Gorguruga

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:45 AM

It's all in the title really.. The internet works fine as soon as I startup but after about 1 to 2 hours I get the message "Err-Timed-Out" on every page I visit.. except, worth noting maybe, if I'm watching a YouTube video it'll still play and load up but trying to visit other sites I get the error. Anyway, after I restart the pc, the internet works fine again... for another 1 or 2 hours. 

I tried a number of fixes after searching online..

* editing host file to delete any sites.

* doing the ipconfig /flushdns /renew (etc..) through the command prompt.

* disabling Anti-Virus 

* disabling AdBlock (on chrome)

* running Spybot 

* cleaning registry using CCleaner. 

Pretty certain it's not a router/network issue because my tablet still connects to the internet fine. 

Any help would be really appreciated, it's been happening everyday for weeks now so I'm almost getting used to having to restart every hour or 2 but another concern is if the problem could get worse and the internet might stop altogether?

Attached File  err-timed-out.jpg   48.03KB   0 downloads

Edited by hamluis, 26 March 2017 - 01:20 PM.
Moved from Win 8 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorguruga

Gorguruga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:43 AM

Update: I still have the problem. The only other thing I tried yesterday was to run Malwarebytes and it found 32 infections. Removing those didn't fix the problem unfortunately. 

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:27 PM

Spybot S&D at one time was a respected program but they have on kept up with the times.  If you want to run an antispyware I would suggest SuperAntiSpyware.

As for registry cleaners,

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. Some of these programs even incorporate optimization and registry cleaning features alongside anti-malware capabilities. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are borderline scams intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product.

Credit for this goes to Quietman7, one of our Global Moderators.

Please post the Malwarebytes log.  To find your Malwarebytes log,download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop.

To open the log double click on mbam-check.exe on your desktop.  Copy and paste the entire log in your topic.

Malwarebytes is very good for what it is intended to do, but it will not find and clean other types of infections.  If anything other than PUPs were found by Malwarebytes I will post post instruction for other tools which should be run.  These tools can not be run in the Windows forums for security reasons, for this reason before I post these instructions I will request that this topic be moved to the Am I Infected forum.

This may not resolve the original complaint, but if there are infections they need to be addressed first.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Gorguruga

Gorguruga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:43 AM

dc3.. thanks very much for the reply and info. 

unfortunately when I click the link to download the program it says page not found. 

I didn't know that about registry issues and in fact, after cleaning, I then experienced a problem which prevented me from logging into my Admin profile. After entering password, it said "preparing windows" and then logged me into a "temp profile" asking me to try the other one later. This happened all day yesterday, but when trying to login to normal profile today, I can log in ok and the problem seems to be gone (for how long I'm not sure). 

But my internet issue is still happening.. every 1 or 2 hours it just stops working. Although YouTube seems to work ok sometimes, but every other site gives me "err_timed_out". 

Edited by Gorguruga, 24 March 2017 - 10:44 AM.

#5 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 25 March 2017 - 02:46 AM

Have you tried Troubleshooting in Control Panal ?

See picture--

screenshot_385.jpg

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,763 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:21 AM

Edit:  Apparently the powers that be removed that command.  That's too bad, it made for a simple means of accessing the log.

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the E key`to open Explorer.

Click/tap on My Computer, then double click/tap on C: Drive.  (If the drive with the operating system isn't C: you will need to use its assigned letter.)

Click/rap on Windows, then Logs, then CBS.  If you have more than one CBS choose the one with the date you ran the last Malwarebytes scan and click/tap on it.

Copy and paste the log in your topic.

Edited by dc3, 25 March 2017 - 10:23 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Gorguruga

Gorguruga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 03:17 PM

See picture--

screenshot_385.jpg

Thanks for the info.. I tried it just now but I think it's the same thing as when I right click the network connection in the system tray and "troubleshoot problems" which I've tried before. It says the "Diagnostic Policy Service was stopped" (like it has said before) but it doesn't fix the problem.

What I find particularly odd is that YouTube seems to work when all the other sites get the Err_timed_out.. So the internet is still working but just for YouTube. Not sure if that's some sort of clue to what the issue might be? I mean I can still play YouTube videos, and visit my subscriptions, the homepage etc... But every site doesn't work. 

#8 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:19 PM

See picture--

screenshot_385.jpg

Thanks for the info.. I tried it just now but I think it's the same thing as when I right click the network connection in the system tray and "troubleshoot problems" which I've tried before. It says the "Diagnostic Policy Service was stopped" (like it has said before) but it doesn't fix the problem.

What I find particularly odd is that YouTube seems to work when all the other sites get the Err_timed_out.. So the internet is still working but just for YouTube. Not sure if that's some sort of clue to what the issue might be? I mean I can still play YouTube videos, and visit my subscriptions, the homepage etc... But every site doesn't work. 

Have you tried starting the service ?

How to find Services---

screenshot_389.jpg

With Classic Shell menu---

screenshot_389.jpg

screenshot_389.jpg

screenshot_389.jpg

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,763 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:17 AM

I will reiterate... if malwarebytes found 32 items it is a indication that this computer is infected.  A infection should always be addressed first,  for example... what happens if you have a backdoor Trojan?  Backdoor Trojans are so dangerous because they have the potential to allow remote administration of your system. As if a hacker were sitting at your keyboard, only worse. There’s almost no limit to what they can do. Some common uses:

Use your system and Internet connection to send spam (yes, the majority of spam is now generated by infected systems).

Steal your online and offline passwords, credit card numbers, address, phone number, and other information stored on your computer that could be used for identity theft, or other financial fraud.

Log your activity, read email, view and download contents of documents, pictures, videos and other private data.

Use your computer and Internet connection, in conjunction with others to launch Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks.

Modify system files, disable antivirus, delete files, change system settings, to cover tracks, or just to wreak havoc.

We need to see the Malwarebytes log which I posted instructions to access the log.

#10 Gorguruga

Gorguruga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:46 AM

Edit:  Apparently the powers that be removed that command.  That's too bad, it made for a simple means of accessing the log.

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the E key`to open Explorer.

Click/tap on My Computer, then double click/tap on C: Drive.  (If the drive with the operating system isn't C: you will need to use its assigned letter.)

Click/rap on Windows, then Logs, then CBS.  If you have more than one CBS choose the one with the date you ran the last Malwarebytes scan and click/tap on it.

Copy and paste the log in your topic.

Thanks for the instructions. I just checked CBS.log in notepad and it's pages and pages long. I think it would take up way too much space and be too lengthy to read here. Here's a very tiny portion.. Is this the right thing? Maybe I should attach a copy of it instead? 

2017-03-20 04:03:22, Info                  CBS    TI: Last boot time: 2017-03-20 04:00:39.491
2017-03-20 04:03:22, Info                  CBS    Starting TrustedInstaller initialization.
2017-03-20 04:03:22, Info                  CBS    Ending TrustedInstaller initialization.
2017-03-20 04:03:22, Info                  CBS    Starting the TrustedInstaller main loop.
2017-03-20 04:03:22, Info                  CBS    TrustedInstaller service starts successfully.
2017-03-20 04:03:22, Info                  CBS    No startup processing required, TrustedInstaller service was not set as autostart
2017-03-20 04:03:22, Info                  CBS    Startup processing thread terminated normally
2017-03-20 04:03:26, Info                  CBS    Starting TiWorker initialization.
2017-03-20 04:03:26, Info                  CBS    Ending TiWorker initialization.
2017-03-20 04:03:26, Info                  CBS    Starting the TiWorker main loop.
2017-03-20 04:03:26, Info                  CBS    TiWorker starts successfully.
2017-03-20 04:03:26, Info                  CBS    Universal Time is: 2017-03-20 04:03:26.792
2017-03-20 04:03:26, Info                  CBS    Loaded Servicing Stack v6.3.9600.17477 with Core: C:\WINDOWS\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-servicingstack_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17477_none_fa2b7d3b9b36c7b4\cbscore.dll
2017-03-20 04:03:26, Info                  CSI    00000001@2017/3/20:04:03:26.792 WcpInitialize (wcp.dll version 0.0.0.6) called (stack @0x7ffcf72c7f59 @0x7ffcf7604a14 @0x7ffcf760424b @0x7ff728ead69a @0x7ff728eadf4f @0x7ffd0e992225)

#11 Gorguruga

Gorguruga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:21 AM

See picture--

screenshot_385.jpg

Have you tried starting the service ?

How to find Services---

screenshot_389.jpg

With Classic Shell menu---

screenshot_389.jpg

screenshot_389.jpg

screenshot_389.jpg

Thanks for the instructions. I tried starting the Diagnostics Policy Service but the net still doesn't work. After I restarted the service though, I did the troubleshooting again and it said no issues were found but I still got the err_timed_out problem. When I tried the next time the problem happened, it said "you can connect to some sites" but it didn't let me connect to any. Other than Youtube. All the others still give the err_timed_out msg. 

#12 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 854 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:50 PM

It has been suggested already that you should check for infections.

Click the "More Reply Options" button to see the option to attach files.

If the CBS file is too big you can zip it & attach it.

A good anti-virus with real time protection is good to have.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,763 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:58 PM

It has been suggested already that you should check for infections.

Click the "More Reply Options" button to see the option to attach files.

If the CBS file is too big you can zip it & attach it.

A good anti-virus with real time protection is good to have.

A good active antivirus is imperative if you are going to get online at all.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,763 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:05 PM

@ Gorguruga

Please do the following.  Post the logs in your topic, do not wrap the logs in code or quote.  Run the scans in the order they are requested and post the logs in the same order.

Please download and run RKill

RKill is an easy to use tool that kills known processes and removes Windows Registry entries that stop a user from using their normal security applications.  RKill will not remove any of the processes it stops, you will need to run security scans to remove any malware found.  These settings will remain until the computer is rebooted, for this reason you must run your security applications before the computer is rebooted.  

Please download RKill and install it.

When RKill is run it will display a console screen similar to the one below:

RKill_zps2e34d4b8.png

When RKill has finished running a log will be displayed showing all of the processes that were terminated by RKill.

AttentionAt this time you need to run your security applications listed below.

While RKill is running you may see a message from the malware stating that the program could not be run because it is a virus or is infected.  This is the malware trying to protect itself.  Two methods that you can try to get past this and allow RKill to run are:

1)  Rename Rkill so that it has a .com extension.

2)  Download a version that is already renamed as files that are commonly white-listed by malware. The main Rkill download page contains individual links to renamed versions.  

After the application has run successfully and you have run the requested scans you should reboot the computer to restore the processes and Windows Registry entries.

Please run Malwarebytes AntiMalware

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.2.

1)  Double-click on mbam-setup.exe, then click on Run to install the application, follow the prompts through the installation.

2)  Malwarebytes will automatically open.  You will see an image like the one below, click on Update Now.  

mbam1_zps98e7fba9.png

3)  Click on Settings, you will see a image like the one below.

malware%20settings_zpsixkea5sd.png

When Settings opens click on Detection and Protection, then under Non-Malware Protection, click on the down arrow for PUP (Potentially Unwanted Programs) detections and select Treat detections as malware.  Under Detection Options place a check in the box for Scan for rootkits

4)  Click on Scan (next to Settings), then click on Scan Now.  The scan will automatically run now.

5)  When the scan is complete the results will be displayed.  Click on Delete All.

malwarenew_zps34b58fdc.png

6)  Please post the Malwarebytes log.

To find your Malwarebytes log,download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop.

To open the log double click on mbam-check.exe on your desktop.  Copy and paste the entire log in your topic.

Please run AdwCleaner

Please download AdwCleaner and install it.

When AdwCleaner opens you will see an image like the one below.

adwcleaner11_zps48314883.png

Click on Scan to start the scan.

Once the search is complete a list of the pending items will be displayed.  If you see any which you do not want removed, remove the check mark next to it.

If there are no malicious programs are found you will receive the following message.

adwcleaner%20111_zpsiduqrrrp.png  

Click on Clean to remove the selected items.  If you have any questions about any items in the list please copy and paste the list in your topic so we can review it.  

You will receive a message telling you that all programs will be closed so that the infections can be removed.  Click on OK.  The computer will be restarted to complete the cleaning process.

When the cleaning process is complete a log of what was removed will be presented.  Please copy and the paste this log in your topic.

Please run the ESET OnlineScan

This scan takes quite a long time to run, so be prepared to allow this to run
till it is completed.

***Please note. If you run this scan using Internet Explorer you won't need
to download the Eset Smartinstaller.***

ESET Online Scanner

• Click here to download the installer for ESET Online Scanner and save it to your Desktop.
  • Disable all your antivirus and antimalware software - see how to do that
    here
  • Right click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • Place a checkmark in YES, I accept the Terms of Use, then click Start. Wait for ESET Online Scanner to load its components.
  • Select Enable detection of potentially unwanted applications.
  • Click Advanced Settings, then place a checkmark in the following:
    • Remove found threats
    • Scan archives
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • Click Start to begin scanning.
  • ESET Online Scanner will start downloading signatures and scan. Please be patient, as this scan can take quite some time.
  • When the scan is done, click List threats ([color=redonly available if ESET Online Scanner found something
  • ).
  • Click Export, then save the file to your desktop.
  • Click Back, then Finish to exit ESET Online Scanner.

Edited by dc3, 26 March 2017 - 01:06 PM.

#15 Gorguruga

Gorguruga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:35 AM

Scans all competed. The ESET one took 8 hours, unfortunately it didn't save the log to desktop as it was done on the temp profile so when I restarted the log wasn't saved on my admin profile. It removed 47 infections and deleted them all!

Malwarebytes found no infections. 

ADWCleaner.. I ran that initially on the temp profile and it found 8 infections. When I restarted the computer, I was able to login to the Admin profile and I ran that scan again.. It found another 6 infections. Here are both logs:

# AdwCleaner v6.044 - Logfile created 27/03/2017 at 08:31:56

# Updated on 28/02/2017 by Malwarebytes
# Database : 2017-03-27.1 [Server]
# Operating System : Windows 8.1  (X64)
# Username : Administrator - SB
# Running from : C:\Users\TEMP.SB\Downloads\AdwCleaner.exe
# Mode: Clean

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Folders ] *****

[-] Folder deleted: C:\ProgramData\apn
[#] Folder deleted on reboot: C:\ProgramData\Application Data\apn
[-] Folder deleted: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\freemake shared

***** [ Files ] *****

***** [ DLL ] *****

***** [ WMI ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Scheduled Tasks ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

[-] Key deleted: HKU\S-1-5-21-2503398493-2949867394-1983721975-1001-{637FE20B-9A5B-4F51-B1BE-D10045625B40}-03272017075640852\Software\Conduit
[-] Key deleted: HKU\S-1-5-21-2503398493-2949867394-1983721975-1001-{637FE20B-9A5B-4F51-B1BE-D10045625B40}-03272017075640852\Software\Headlight
[-] Key deleted: HKU\S-1-5-21-2503398493-2949867394-1983721975-500.bak-{637FE20B-9A5B-4F51-B1BE-D10045625B40}-03272017075641868\Software\Headlight
[-] Key deleted: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Headlight
[-] Key deleted: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\zap

***** [ Web browsers ] *****

:: "Tracing" keys deleted
:: Winsock settings cleared

C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C0].txt - [1483 Bytes] - [27/03/2017 08:31:56]
C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [1758 Bytes] - [27/03/2017 08:26:49]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C0].txt - [1629 Bytes] ##########

# AdwCleaner v6.044 - Logfile created 27/03/2017 at 08:51:15
# Updated on 28/02/2017 by Malwarebytes
# Database : 2017-03-27.1 [Local]
# Operating System : Windows 8.1  (X64)
# Username : Administrator - SB
# Running from : C:\Users\Administrator\Downloads\AdwCleaner.exe
# Mode: Clean

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Folders ] *****

***** [ Files ] *****

[-] File deleted: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Storage

\hxxp_st.chatango.com_0.localstorage
[-] File deleted: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Storage

\hxxps_static.cmptch.com_0.localstorage
[#] File deleted: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Storage

\hxxp_st.chatango.com_0.localstorage

***** [ DLL ] *****

***** [ WMI ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Scheduled Tasks ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

[-] Key deleted: HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\ChromeHTML

***** [ Web browsers ] *****

[-] Firefox preferences cleaned: "browser.search.defaultenginename" -  "Search Provided by Yahoo"
[-] Firefox preferences cleaned: "browser.search.selectedEngine" -  "Search Provided by Yahoo"
[-] [C:\Users\ELS\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web data] [Search Provider] Deleted: uk.ask.com
[-] [C:\Users\ELS\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web data] [Search Provider] Deleted: acoustica-

mixcraft.en.softonic.com
[-] [C:\Users\Gorguruga\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web data] [Search Provider] Deleted: uk.ask.com

:: "Tracing" keys deleted
:: Winsock settings cleared

C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C0].txt - [1708 Bytes] - [27/03/2017 08:31:56]
C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C2].txt - [1856 Bytes] - [27/03/2017 08:51:15]
C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [1758 Bytes] - [27/03/2017 08:26:49]
C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S1].txt - [2274 Bytes] - [27/03/2017 08:50:10]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C2].txt - [2075 Bytes] 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users