Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Apple iMac A1311 White Screen

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:06 AM

Hello. My friend just gave me her broken Apple iMac A1311. She said that if I fix it, I can keep it. I googled the issues with white screen. I hooked the mac to TV, and got the same symptoms. So it is not a monitor. When I got to Mac Utilities, I did check hard drives, and there were no errors. I also erased the hard drive, through disk utility, after restore from time machine didn't find any restore points. So was trying to reinstall OS. I entered my Apple ID and password, and then when prompted, Apple id, password and code following password, which was supplied on my iPad for security purposes. I still got "Wrong username/password" message. So I have the following questions please:

1.) Does my friend needs to enter her apple ID informaiton to reinstall the OS?

2.) Does the supplied code, which usually comes as 1 2 3  4 5 6 format, needs any blank spaces (I know less likely, but still wanted to ask)?  

3.) I don't care about contents of the hard drive. I just want new OS that works, and I want to attach my apple ID. How to I factory restore?

4.) The white screen is not really white, but has this zebra like characteristics, one horizontal line is light greenm another is beige, and so it repeats 10 times. Is this normal in recovery mode? 

I am a PC person, so for me it's all new. Please help. 

Thank you.

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V LX; Processor: Intel i5 2500k; RAM 24GB: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800); CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800); Video Card: MSI AMD Radeon RX 470 Gaming X 4G GDDR5; Power Supply: OCZ ZS Series 650W 80PLUS Bronze High Performance Power Supply; Multi-card reader: Nippon Labs Delux 3.5" Internal All In One Card Reader/Writer with USB2.0 & eSATA Ports Model ICR-BB. Optical 1: LG GH22NS90; Optical 2:  ASUS BW-12B1ST; Fans: 3x80mm, CPU Cooling: XIGMATEK LOKI SD963. So there are total of 6 fans.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:40 PM

Hello. My friend just gave me her broken Apple iMac A1311. She said that if I fix it, I can keep it. I googled the issues with white screen. I hooked the mac to TV, and got the same symptoms. So it is not a monitor. When I got to Mac Utilities, I did check hard drives, and there were no errors. I also erased the hard drive, through disk utility, after restore from time machine didn't find any restore points. So was trying to reinstall OS. I entered my Apple ID and password, and then when prompted, Apple id, password and code following password, which was supplied on my iPad for security purposes. I still got "Wrong username/password" message. So I have the following questions please:

The issue is likely tied to an upgraded Mac OS version that was "bought" (whether for actual money or for free) from the Mac App Store. Apple in its infinite wisdom now tying Mac OS upgrades "bought" through the App Store to an Apple ID...even if that upgrade was free. As a result, if that iMac was upgraded from the Mac OS that it was originally shipped with, I believe that upgrade OS is then tied to the Apple ID that "bought" the upgrade. So, to get around that, you will either need to reinstall the OS that it originally shipped with (which might get complicated...see below) or have your friend enter in her Apple ID information for you (not ideal).

1.) Does my friend needs to enter her apple ID informaiton to reinstall the OS?

It depends...see above.

If you are willing to go back to the Mac OS that was originally installed on the iMac, then you don't need her to enter her Apple ID information. To do this, it will depend on which specific iMac model you have. Unfortunately, Apple A1311 "model number" is not specific enough...there are several models that "model number" applies to. You will have one of two ways to do this: 1) Use Internet Recovery; or 2) Use the recovery media (either optical disc or USB flash drive) that shipped with the iMac originally.

The problem is that around the time of these various models, Apple transitioned from shipping Mac with recovery media (on optical discs or USB flash drives) to using an Internet Recovery models. As a result, it is possible that this particular iMac might have to use one or the other and I cannot tell which it will be.

If Internet Recovery is available, you will be able to press the Option-Command-R buttons upon booting up the iMac and it will boot to Internet Recovery mode. From there, you should be able to install Lion (aka Mac OS 10.7.x) by way of an Internet connection. No Apple ID should be required.

If Internet Recovery is not available (i.e. Option-Command-R does not work), then you will have to ask your friend if she still have the original recovery media that shipped with the iMac. If she does, then you will likely be able to reinstall either Snow Leopard (aka 10.6.x) or Lion (aka 10.7.x)...which ever the iMac shipped with.

From either option, then you should be able to "buy" (for free) Sierra (aka 10.12.x...which is the current Mac OS version) from the Mac App Store using your Apple ID.

Or you could ask you friend to enter her Apple ID information to reinstall whatever version she currently has on it, but it will still be "tied" to her Apple ID.

2.) Does the supplied code, which usually comes as 1 2 3  4 5 6 format, needs any blank spaces (I know less likely, but still wanted to ask)?

What code? You did not mention any code in the main paragraph. Best I can guess without further information is a 2 factor code if your friend has 2 factor authentication turned on for her Apple ID. 

3.) I don't care about contents of the hard drive. I just want new OS that works, and I want to attach my apple ID. How to I factory restore?

See above.

4.) The white screen is not really white, but has this zebra like characteristics, one horizontal line is light greenm another is beige, and so it repeats 10 times. Is this normal in recovery mode?

No, it is not normal. Recovery mode should get you a "normal" screen just as if you boot regularly...just you are booting to recovery options.

It kind of sounds like it might be a hardware issue, to be honest...likely with the graphics card/system.

#3 bigdog1100

bigdog1100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:15 AM

Hi. So, my friend gave me her Apple ID. When I enter credentials, I get the, "This item is temporary unavailable" pop up message, instead of previously incorrect Apple ID / Password message.  

So I guess I need to get a USB option going. How do I do it from my PC (Not the mac book I am trying to recover)?

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V LX; Processor: Intel i5 2500k; RAM 24GB: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800); CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800); Video Card: MSI AMD Radeon RX 470 Gaming X 4G GDDR5; Power Supply: OCZ ZS Series 650W 80PLUS Bronze High Performance Power Supply; Multi-card reader: Nippon Labs Delux 3.5" Internal All In One Card Reader/Writer with USB2.0 & eSATA Ports Model ICR-BB. Optical 1: LG GH22NS90; Optical 2:  ASUS BW-12B1ST; Fans: 3x80mm, CPU Cooling: XIGMATEK LOKI SD963. So there are total of 6 fans.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:57 PM

There is no way that I am aware of to download an installer/updater directly from Apple on a Windows (or Linux) PC. To my knowledge, you need a Mac running the App Store to be able to download an installer/updater that you can then use to create a bootable USB or optical disc installer.

There might be a third party site, but at a minimum it would likely be operating in violation of Apple's ELUA but could be an out right illegal site with questionable versions of the Mac OS on it.

Have you tried it again? It could have been that there was just a issue with the Apple servers the last time.

#5 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' 68000

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,154 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:29 AM

If your iMac is capable of running Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.x) you can buy a Snow Leopard install DVD from Apple's website or eBay. To check the compatibility with 10.6, enter the serial number on Apple's website here : https://checkcoverage.apple.com.  Then check EveryMac.com with your model number to find  what the starting OS was. If your mac supports 10.6, erase the hard drive using Mac OS X Utilities on the iMac. Insert the install dvd you got from Apple or eBay, shut down the computer, then hold down the Option key and turn on the computer. Select Mac OS X Install DVD and follow the installer. I did that on a MacBook 2009 White and it works fine. I also had that Internet Recovery problem with "This item is temporarily unavailable." I don't know what is causing the Temporarily Unavailable problem. I think it has to do with the older Mac OS's not being on the App Store anymore, but I'm not sure.

If you get the disc on ebay, make sure it is not gray with white text. It should have a picture of a snow leopard on the front. 

Regards, iMacg3

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:03 PM

If you get the disc on ebay, make sure it is not gray with white text. It should have a picture of a snow leopard on the front.

This part is very true. The gray discs that you will find on Ebay are restore discs and they are very model specific. In other words, if you get a gray disc that does not match your model of Mac, it will NOT work.

The disc with a "colorful" label (i.e. a picture of a Snow Leopard in the case of Snow Leopard, aka 10.6, discs) are the retail version of the Mac OS installer. It will work with any Mac that can run that particular version of the Mac OS.

Edited by smax013, 30 March 2017 - 11:05 PM.

#7 bigdog1100

bigdog1100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:58 AM

Does it matter how many times the disk was used? Most of the things being sold are used DVDs. 

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:56 PM

Does it matter how many times the disk was used? Most of the things being sold are used DVDs.

Not really...other than normal potential issues with something like a scratched/worn optical disc. Snow Leopard (aka 10.6) is NOT linked to an AppleID, so as long as you get a retail disc (see previous post), you should have no problem installing Snow Leopard (assuming that your iMac can indeed run Snow Leopard [see below] and that there is no some other hardware issue with the iMac that would prevent the installation of the OS).

I will mention again that the model number A1311 is not specific enough to know which specific iMac model you have. There are are technically 9 different models of iMac that "model number" applies to when you account for different release times (Late 2009, Mid 2010, Mid 2011, and Late 2011) and available processors (ranging from Core 2 Duos in the Late 2009 models to a Core i3 in the Late 2011 model). Some of those models cannot run any version of 10.6 (i.e. the one Late 2011 model shipped with 10.7.2, which means that is the oldest version of the OS it can run). Others can only run certain versions of 10.6 (i.e. the Mid 2011 models shipped with 10.6.6 and the Mid 2010 models shipped with 10.6.3 and the Late 2009 models shipped with 10.6.1). Since a Mac can only run the version of the Mac OS that it shipped with or newer (up to the point that Apple stops supporting that Mac for new OS versions), it is entirely possible that a retail disc of 10.6 might not work with any iMac model with a model designation of A1311 if the version of 10.6 on that disc is actually 10.6.0 (I have to admit that I have never tried that). If so, then a retail disc of 10.6 might not help. And if so, then you are either back to trying to find some way to get a newer OS version on a USB or optical disc...or trying to find a restore disc for that EXACT model of iMac that you have (this would require first determining what specific iMac model you actually have and then hoping that you can find an eBay listing for a restore disc for that EXACT model).

If you want to find out what specific iMac model you have, you will need to get the serial number off the iMac and look it up. For an iMac, the serial number should be located either on the bottom of the iMac case itself or bottom of the "foot" according to this page (the description is not very precise):

http://www.everymac.com/mac-identification/where-to-find-apple-serial-numbers-for-identification.html

Scroll down until you see a list of Mac types...the first part of the page is about how to find the serial number assuming the Mac boots. This page does provide some clarification that it is seems to be on the underside of base/foot:

https://www.maketecheasier.com/find-mac-serial-number/

If you find the serial number, you can enter it at the following page to find out the specific model information:

https://checkcoverage.apple.com

While the page is meant to check how much warranty and support coverage you have left, it will also tell you the specific model. Specifically, you will want whether it is Late 2009, Mid 2010, Mid 2011, or Late 2011. That will then tell us which Mac OS version it shipped with and potentially allow you to look for a restore disc for that model (only the "release" time frame matters...a disc for a Mid 2011 21.5" iMac model will work for any 2011 21.5" iMac model even if different processors).

#9 bigdog1100

bigdog1100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:42 PM

Hi. I bought DVD. Brand new in shrink wrap, with all the manuals and 2 apple stickers. I erased the original partition with journaling. Then I installed the contents of DVD, as in selected the wholse DVD as source. When I rebooted, AND when I tried to load from DVD itself, I get the apple logo, and that's all. I don't even get any prompts. Also, to note, the working partition now has the same name as DVD. I feel like I missed a step, but I am ready to call apple support. Any thoughts?

#10 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:02 PM

How to Perform a Clean Install of Snow Leopard OS X 10.6

#11 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' 68000

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,154 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:06 PM

Did you let the computer load when it reached the apple logo?

Try holding down the "option" key on startup and select the working partition to boot off of.

When I reinstalled 10.6 on my MacBook, I erased the hard drive and renamed it, then hit "install" and let it sit. It rebooted and then sat on the apple logo for a while and then showed me the Setup Wizard. Did you follow a similar sequence?

Edited by iMacg3, 06 April 2017 - 02:10 PM.

Regards, iMacg3

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users