Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

macbook pro waking in night, but sys log empty in console

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BustedFlush

BustedFlush

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:54 AM

As title suggest. 

MBP has been waking in night a few times recently. I looked for wake reason in console and there is ZERO showing in the sys log. I could always look in there before, even a day or so ago, when i checked last, so this is a recent change.

Why and how would this occur? I am concerned this may be a hacker covering there tracks. Is this conceivable?

Sorry i am not very good with computers, any help on this would be really appreciated, as it's making me very anxious. 

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:44 PM

As title suggest. 

MBP has been waking in night a few times recently. I looked for wake reason in console and there is ZERO showing in the sys log. I could always look in there before, even a day or so ago, when i checked last, so this is a recent change.

Why and how would this occur? I am concerned this may be a hacker covering there tracks. Is this conceivable?

Sorry i am not very good with computers, any help on this would be really appreciated, as it's making me very anxious. 

Thanks

If you go to the Energy Saver settings under System Prefs, is the "Wake for network access" checked?

If so, then the OS is "set" to wake is something on your network tries to connect to your Mac. So, it could be some device on your network is sending out some traffic that is waking the Mac.

The easy thing to do would be to uncheck that option and see if anything changes. If it does, then there is something on your network causing it to wake. If nothing changes, then it is something on the Mac itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users