Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop black screen with white arrow cannot get into anything.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:28 AM

Hi,

My desktop has decided to do it's own thing,

When I turn it on ok but then it goes into somewhere else and ask if I want Safe Mode click yes. 

then it runs through program files, it will then just stop with a black screen white arrow,

I can't do anything except move mouse,  to shut down I .turn off at the wall.

regards

Ed

Eddee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:05 AM

I would try doing a Startup Repair.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-perform-a-startup-repair-in-windows-7-2626170

Louis

#3 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:49 PM

Hi hamluis,

Thanks for getting back to me, unfortunately I don't have a Win 7 disk and cannot fine my repair disk.

Eddee

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:32 AM

Win 7 Startup Repair, dc3 - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/532949/logonuiexe-bad-image-error/?p=3357978

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 March 2017 - 08:37 AM.

#5 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:14 AM

I have not had any luck with the repair, I found my Win 7. and also burnt System repair disk,

System repair found nothing,        but then the screen would go black and nothing will work inc.the mouse,  but the computer I can hear running.

Once the black screen is up there is nothing I can do.

Eddee

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:17 AM

Is this an OEM (HP, Dell, etc.) system or self-built?

I would detach all drives...boot...see if there are signs of normal life without a boot drive.

Then I would attach the boot drive to another system and run a hard drive diagnostic on it.  If a Seagate drive, use the Seagate diagnostic tool.  If Western Digital, use the WD tool.  If Hitachi, use the Seagate tool.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 March 2017 - 07:18 AM.

#7 ed-e-dee

ed-e-dee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:08 PM

Sorry it took me so long getting back to you.  

I finished up taking the computer to a Tech. and let them work it out, 

I could not work out the problem.  I don't have the knowledge to affect a repair or follow the diagnostic.

Thank you for your time and help.

Ed

Eddee

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:34 AM

Thank you for the courteous feedback.

Happy computing :).

Louis

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,585 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:24 PM

Just curious, how did the tech resolve this issue?

I hope they didn't just reinstall the operating system without saving your personal files to removable media.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 Erro11

Erro11

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:13 AM

When booting my HP dv7 with windows 7, I would see the windows logo for a while and then a black screen with a mouse cursor and the curser could be moved with the mouse. Control-Alt-Del and the windows key would not work. Safe Mode did not help. My last backup image was four months old (too old) and I made a salvage backup of the entire drive using a DOS boot CD to an external USB hard drive via the copy utility set to ignore errors and use no buffer. I purchased “EasyRE for Windows 7” and it did not fix the problem. I purchased SpinRite 6.0 but it was not compatible with my SATA controller and hard drive size combination resulting in a “Division Overflow Error” regardless of being booted on freeDOS or MSDOS 7.1. I then tried a program on a previously downloaded and burned “Hiren’s Boot CD 15.2” called “Drevitalize 1.2 Free” and let it run for two days until it finished; it found and repaired 8 consecutive bad sectors. I exited Drevitalize, rebooted and windows ran!!! Interestingly, upon that first run an HP Laptop Support Application (update?) and an Adobe Flash Player 25 NPAPI version 25.0.0.148 update completed installing. Some minor desktop settings were changed but all my usual application shortcuts were on the desktop and everyone that I ran seemed to work normally.

Next time I will backup, use Drevitalize and reboot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users