Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opened Win 10 today: no icons, access settings, calendar with clock, etc

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 redroset

redroset

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:42 PM

I downloaded Win10 when free. Minimal use of old XP Gateway laptop: news, some email composing, some shopping, card game. Really not much use.

Turned on today and all was different: most of icons gone in task bar (at bottom), window icon and circle (Cortana) there open only with right click to not usual list, settings opens to blank window. Nothing is as it was when turned off night before.

I don't know enough to know what to do. Have looked at reloading Win10 but says all files would be erased. I'm willing to try anything but don't know where to start.

Hope someone can give me suggestions.

Thanks, Linda

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 759 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:05 AM

Have you tried a 'Restart' (not shutdown)

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:58 AM

If you open the Start Menu can you see Settings?

If you can you could do a Reset which has the option to keep your files, but it will uninstall any third party program and updates.  If you can access the Settings let me know and I will post instructions for doing the Reset.

What is the make and model of this computer?

If this computer originally had XP installed on it the computer may not be compatible with Windows 10.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users