Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What are your thoughts about this gaming build? Need some help.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Punkrulz

Punkrulz

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:34 PM

Hey guys,

This was the build someone had pieced together for me, however I made a few tweaks. What do you think? Questions at bottom.

Motherboard: MSI Z270-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($114.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($149.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($102.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1552.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-20 15:55 EDT-0400

My questions:

1) What are your thoughts about choosing the i5-7600k over the i7-7700k?
2) For a 1080 video card, is this a sufficient one? There are so many different models by each brand that I'm not sure what to get.
3) What should I get as a HSF?
4) Any thoughts about this SATA drive (as it's available on newegg), or should I get a different one?
5) If the HSF comes with thermal paste, should I use that or should I keep the arctic silver in my cart?
6) Will the PSU definitely handle everything I have in this computer?

Right now I'm looking at that processor as it's good for gaming. There are still too many unanswered questions regarding Ryzen, although I'm not biting the bullet yet on either decision. It seems like the 7700k may be too much processor, but if you're pointing in that direction by all means please let me know!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 1,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:04 AM

1. Ryzen 5 1600X (launch April 11) cost bit less than 7600K and is much faster. Against 7700K it's bit slower but overall much better choice.

2. Why 1080? AMD Vega will cause 1080 prices lower so I suggest getting mid end card in the meantime. And you are planning to use what monitor? If FullHD, then 1080 is overkill anyway.

3. Depends on CPU, as stated above, it would be very bad choice not to wait for Ryzen 5 1600X.

4. HDD is OK but that SSD is not. You are wasting fast M.2 connector on slow SATA drive. So get SATA SSD instead or grab PCI Express NVME M.2 drive.

5. Probably not.

6. Even 550W version is more than enough.

As always, I recommend Windows 10 Retail instead OEM version. That should be https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wskwrH/microsoft-os-kw900016

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,860 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:37 AM

I agree with what Drillingmachine has said.

The Ryzen is a known quantity and a very good value, you may want to wait until the Ryzen 5 to get a clearer picture as to what that that CPU can do before buying.

The GTX 1080 is likely overkill unless you have a high-end 4k or 120hz monitor.  That said, turning on all the eye candy in some games, even at 1080p, will sometimes need more than just a mid-level card.  I'm thinking of upgrading monitors and I doubt my GTX 980 will handle 4k at many game's ultra settings.

With Windows 10, you may want the professional edition as you have a few more options than a standard home edition, such as the ability to defer updates longer.

3939.png

#4 Punkrulz

Punkrulz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:01 AM

Sorry I had forgotten to include this information.

My current display is the Dell 27" GSync display running 2560x1440p @ 144hz. That's why I want to run at that resolution, as well as stick with nVidia products to keep the usefulness of the GSync!

Drilling, I don't know much about the M2 architecture. Why is that a bad drive, and why would the PCIX NVME M.2 drive be better suited for that?

I'm still in the big debate of Ryzen, and that's why I went and made this build so far... especially if I wind upgrading to the 7700k (due to more threads than the 7600k). The intel is proven right now, Ryzen hasn't been for games, and while that very well could potentially change with patching I don't know how long that will be. Just my thoughts, not trying to start any arguments lol.

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 1,726 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:35 AM

Drilling, I don't know much about the M2 architecture. Why is that a bad drive, and why would the PCIX NVME M.2 drive be better suited for that?

I'm still in the big debate of Ryzen, and that's why I went and made this build so far... especially if I wind upgrading to the 7700k (due to more threads than the 7600k). The intel is proven right now, Ryzen hasn't been for games, and while that very well could potentially change with patching I don't know how long that will be. Just my thoughts, not trying to start any arguments lol.

Basically M.2 allows either PCI Express 3.0 x4 (4 GB/s max) or SATA 6Gb/s (0.6 GB/s max). SATA 6GB/s also allows (0.6 GB/s max). So basically if you want M.2 drive for desktop, go with PCI Express 3.0 x4 part. Otherwise you "waste" (only available?) M.2 slot for SATA drive while you could use one of many SATA connectors on motherboard.

In other words: that Crucial is meant for either very small PC's or laptops, not desktops.

While Ryzen might be around 10% slower than 7700K on current games, Ryzen will be much faster if you have any background tasks running, that includes streaming. Also Ryzen has much better build quality, less bottlenecks on motherboards and is much cheaper (talking about Ryzen 5 1600X here). Also there is no valid upgrade path from either 7600K or 7700K. So with that platform you're stuck with 4 cores, not long lasting platform. Next generation Ryzen should fit on AM4 socket. I think you didn't mean upgrade from 7600K to 7700K as that makes no sense. If you want 7700K, buy it right away.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 21 March 2017 - 09:36 AM.

#6 techghost

techghost

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:14 AM

Dream build man. Sorry, not so techy, but couldn't resist commenting.

#7 Punkrulz

Punkrulz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:02 PM

Drilling, do you mean something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-512GB-Express-Solid-state/dp/B0179DQM34

I'm trying to do some research. How does this work? Do these cards connect to a PCIX riser, or does this go into the m.2 slot and instead of using SATA it automatically uses the Gen3 x4 connection?

#8 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:45 PM

I'm trying to do some research. How does this work? Do these cards connect to a PCIX riser, or does this go into the m.2 slot and instead of using SATA it automatically uses the Gen3 x4 connection?

Thast is the one?

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 1,726 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:47 PM

More something like this https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-OCZ-RD400-Solid-RVD400-M22280-256G/dp/B01G3HLP0C/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1490125536&sr=1-1

That goes to M.2 slot and uses PCI Express x4 (or whatever PCI Express M.2 slot supports) automatically

Edited by Drillingmachine, 21 March 2017 - 02:47 PM.

#10 Punkrulz

Punkrulz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:52 PM

More something like this https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-OCZ-RD400-Solid-RVD400-M22280-256G/dp/B01G3HLP0C/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1490125536&sr=1-1

That goes to M.2 slot and uses PCI Express x4 (or whatever PCI Express M.2 slot supports) automatically

Thanks Drilling! Do you know what the difference is between the one you linked and the one I linked? The one I linked looks like it supports the same stuff, all be it maybe a slower read/write. Just curious so I can learn something. :)

#11 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 1,726 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:09 AM

One you linked barely beats SATA drives. OCZ RD400 is much faster than SATA drives. So basically difference is speed.

#12 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:35 PM

Lots of gaming titles beginning to fare significantly better on 7700K vs. 7600K; results to be much more related to the 8 vs. 4 threads  than the boost in CPU clock speed...

It's not a fun $100 boost in price to absorb, but, sometimes the price jumps are warranted. (One could always absorb it be delaying an SSD or M.2 drive to later, as these devices, although awesome for boot/load times, do nothing for contributing to higher framarates once a level is loaded and being played. (Certainly if on a moderate gaming budget, I'd rather have a GTX1080 and a spinning 1 TB drive than a GTX1060 and a 512 GB Samsung 960 Pro...; prioritization has a large impact when gaming on a budget, where GPU is about 75% importance, cpu 20%, but, this can shift pretty drastically weighted even more heavily in favor of GPU at higher resolutions, especially 4k.)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users