Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"No drives were found" but computer boots fine

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Naming Is Hard

Naming Is Hard

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:03 PM

So I have a weird issue. Im trying to reinstall windows 7 just to wipe the drive but the when i got to reinstall Windows 7 i get the "No drives were found" error, i know the HDD works because the computer boots just fine. 

The computer works fine in every other way. Any suggestions? Ive never come across this issue ever before without the HDD being the problem.

Acer AM3450.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:23 PM

Is this a Windows 7 install DVD? It's possible the disk does not have the latest SATA/AHCI drivers for your chipset on the motherboard. I am not sure this will work but download the SATA/AHCI driver here. Unzip the file and depending on if your OS is 32bit or 64bit take the files from the x64 or x86 folder in the zip file and place the three files in the root of a USB flash drive. When you get to the screen that shows no drives found click on the load drivers button. 

Is there any additional error besides "no drivers were found"? Was the error shown in the below image or when you first booted the install disk? 

E7Z99.png

#3 Naming Is Hard

Naming Is Hard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:35 PM

Yeah the error shows up when i get to that screen, not when i first boot up the install media.

It is not a DVD but a USB. a USB I've used for dozens of computers in the past. I will try the drivers and get back to you, thanks for the reply!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,843 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:58 PM

Another thing I forgot to mention but I doubt it concerns your install. If the computer is a UEFI computer and not legacy BIOS then Windows 7 32bit would not be able to be installed as GPT is required on a UEFI computer unless legacy boot is enabled. 64bit can only boot from a GPT disk, not 32bit.

#5 Naming Is Hard

Naming Is Hard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:47 PM

The drivers did the trick, thanks!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,843 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:22 PM

Your Welcome, glad they worked for you and thanks for the update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users