Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

possible to copy registry keys and/or files instead of migrating entire drive?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PhauxFenix

PhauxFenix

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:33 PM

I realize that this is probably not a question that this forum are able to answer, but I'll ask anyways. I just replaced my internal hdd as it had the dreaded hdd "whisper", and before I replaced it, I was using a western digital my passport ultra 2tb, with the auto unlock feature enabled. (It is password protected.) So now that I have my laptop working again, I can't remember my password (I set it up over a year ago), and I was wondering if there were certain registry key(s) or files somewhere on the old hdd that stores the password so that I can migrate it to my new hdd?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 17,370 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:58 PM

From the specs of the drive:

Optional 256-bit AES hardware encryption

If you forgot your password and this password encrypted the drive then there is nothing that can retrieve the data.

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/598724-forgot-password-to-wd-my-passport-drive

One person mentioned cloning the drive to another drive. I am assuming this is if you password protected the drive but did not encrypt it.

#3 PhauxFenix

PhauxFenix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:27 PM

From the specs of the drive:

Optional 256-bit AES hardware encryption

If you forgot your password and this password encrypted the drive then there is nothing that can retrieve the data.

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/598724-forgot-password-to-wd-my-passport-drive

One person mentioned cloning the drive to another drive. I am assuming this is if you password protected the drive but did not encrypt it.

Pardon my ignorance on this matter, but what is the difference between password protecting the drive and encrypting it? I thought that when a drive was password protected, it was encrypted?
Also, if it helps, I have attached a screenshot of the utility that the drive uses for password protection.

Attached File  WDPSPRTUTIL.jpg   68.19KB   0 downloads

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 17,370 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:40 PM

I just pointed out what one person said on that thread. I would think the same thing. If you password protected the drive then it would be automatically encrypted. I am not familiar with this particular drive and if there is an option to password protect the drive without encrypting it.  You may find something in the manual. If it is possible to password protect the drive without encrypting it then cloning the drive may work but I have a feeling your drive is encrypted. 

Edit: I just looked at the manual and I believe once locked it is encrypted so you are out of luck if you forgot your password.

https://www.wdc.com/content/dam/wdc/website/downloadable_assets/eng/user_manual/4779-705124.pdf

See page 21

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 March 2017 - 05:44 PM.

#5 PhauxFenix

PhauxFenix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:52 PM

I just pointed out what one person said on that thread. I would think the same thing. If you password protected the drive then it would be automatically encrypted. I am not familiar with this particular drive and if there is an option to password protect the drive without encrypting it.  You may find something in the manual. If it is possible to password protect the drive without encrypting it then cloning the drive may work but I have a feeling your drive is encrypted. 

I do to, as both windows disk manager and aomei partition assistant both show the entire drive as unallocated space. I did notice though when I opened the plastic housing on the drive that there is what looks like either a set of pins for some kind of jumper settings or a different connecter. I have attached a picture below depicting what I have described.

Attached File  3728-4b.jpg   86.54KB   1 downloads

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 17,370 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:04 PM

See my edited post. The manual says you are out of luck if you forgot the password so I doubt the pins you show would overide it. I think those pins are for diagnostic purposes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/3is1pg/wd_external_hdd_12_pin_mystery/

#7 PhauxFenix

PhauxFenix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:12 PM

Thank you very much for all of your help. I guess my best bet is to try to remember the password.

If anyone has any ideas, please feel free to post them.

Thank you all again,

PhauxFenix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users