Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware program says I have hidden Rootkit

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pwilson47

pwilson47

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:32 PM

I ran this program it's saying I have a hidden rootkit with a Process ID of 984. I really have no idea what to do next. However I have ran Windows Defender and I have run Malwaremalbytes (latest versions) and nothing. Please advise.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:05 PM

What program did you use?

Not all rootkits/hidden components detected by anti-rootkit (ARK) scanners and security tools are malicious. Most ARK tools check for rookit-like behavior which is not always indicative of a malware infection. It is normal for a Firewall, anti-virus and anti-malware software, CD Emulators, virtual machines, sandboxes and Host based Intrusion Prevention Systems (HIPS) to exhibit rootkit-like behavior or hook into the OS kernal/SSDT (System Service Descriptor Table) in order to protect your system. SSDT is a table that stores addresses of functions that are used by Windows. Whenever a function is called, Windows looks in this table to find the address for it. Both Legitimate programs and rootkits can hook into and alter this table.

Hooking is one of the techniques used by a rootkit to alter the normal execution path of the operating system. Rootkit hooks are basically installed modules which intercept the principal system services that all programs and the OS rely on. By using a hook, a rootkit can alter the information that the original OS function would have returned. There are many tables in an OS that can be hooked by a rootkit and those hooks are undetectable unless you know exactly what you're looking for.

API Kernel hooks are not always bad since some system monitoring software and security tools use them as well. If no hooks are active on a system it means that all system services are handled by ntoskrnl.exe which is a base component of Windows operating systems and the process used in the boot-up cycle of a computer. Most of the time, IRP hooks are made by legit drivers to filter IRPs. Security products with ARK scanners do not differentiate between what is good and what is bad...they only report what is found. Therefore, even on a clean system some hidden essential components may be detected when performing a scan to check for the presence of rootkits. As such, you should not be immediately alarmed if you see any hidden entries created by legitimate programs after performing a scan.

CD Emulators (Daemon Tools, Alchohol 120%, Astroburn, AnyDVD, etc) in particular use rootkit-like techniques techniques to hide from other applications and can interfere with investigative or security tools. This interference can produce misleading or inaccurate scan results, false detection of legitimate files, cause unexpected crashes, BSODs, and general dross. This 'dross' often makes it hard to differentiate between genuine malicious rootkits and the legitimate drivers used by CD Emulators.

In most cases further investigation is required after the initial ARK scan by someone trained in rootkit detection or with advanced knowledge of the operating system. Report logs need to be analyzed and detected components identified in order to determined if they are benign, system critical or malevolent before attempted removal. Using an ARK or security scanner without knowing how to tell the difference between legitimate and malicious entries can be dangerous if a critical component is incorrectly removed.

Usually when a computer is infected with malware there most likely will be obvious indications (signs of infection and malware symptoms) that something is wrong.

I am a firm believer that if you're unsure how to use a particular security tool or interpret any logs it generates, then you probably should not be using it. Some security tools are intended for advanced users, those who are knowledgeable of the Windows registry or to be used under the guidance of an expert who can interpret the log results and investigate it for malicious entries before taking any removal action. Incorrectly removing legitimate entries could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users