Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install M.2 Nvme ssd via m.2 to sata adapter.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Flooder

Flooder

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:23 PM

Motherboard: MSI B75MA-P45 (a 1155 socket board)

cpu: I5- 2300 

ram: 8gb ddr4 1.6ghz, downclocked to 1.3mhz, cause of limitiations of MB.

Gpu: 750 ti

Hi, i have bought m.2 to sata 3 adapter from internet. 

And i also want to buy a fast ssd , and i came across SAMSUNG 960 evo. But that ssd, has a m.2 connector thats why i bought adapter. I know that even if i use that adapter i wont be able to enjoy 960 evos full speed, but what i want to know is if the pc can boot from 960 evo. :D because i heard from other sites that some motherboards dont support some ssds

Thanks in advance.

TLDR:  MSI B75MA-P45 support 960 evo via sata adapter?

Edited by Flooder, 20 March 2017 - 02:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,481 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:16 PM

Your motherboard does not have M.2 connector so I see no sense buying (more expensive) M.2 drive instead SATA. So buy SATA SSD instead.

Using M.2 drive on that motherboard is simply waste of money.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:21 PM

It is my understanding that the answer is no. I'll admit to not fully having my head around the technicalities behind the latest drive technologies yet (there's some enjoyable reading to look forward to  :lmao:  ) but I am quite sure NVMe drives booting an old system are a definite no. This is because BIOS support is needed, and it won't be present.

The Samsung 960 is an NVMe drive.  NVMe is designed to work over the PCI Express bus rather than SATA (this is why it is so much faster, giving maximum performance on an x4 PCI-E 3.0 interface).  I have found no reference anywhere to it supporting a legacy SATA interface.  Therefore I have my doubts that it will work at all in the way you propose.  It would likely work in a PCIe to M.2. adapter, but booting directly from it will not work in your system.  There are of course SATA based M.2. drives.  Typically these are priced at similar levels to 2.5" SATA drives, and to my knowledge offer no performance advantage over plugging a 2.5" drive into a SATA port.

EDIT - Just looked up a SATA to M.2. adaptor and it was listed with the following statement: "Please note that it supports SATA-based B Key SSD only. It does NOT support PCI-E based B key & any M key SSD"

Edited by jonuk76, 20 March 2017 - 04:30 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 Flooder

Flooder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:27 PM

Thanks for your great answers jonuk76 and Drillingmachine. 

Then i will go for sata ssd, i think it will be 850 evo,:D

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,481 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:05 AM

850 Evo is TLC and I always recommend MLC over TLC. Also Samsung's TLC drives have proven quite unreliable ones on past years (840 and 840 Evo).

#6 Flooder

Flooder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:34 PM

Drillingmachine. Thanks for reply, but i checked some MLC ssds, and its true that they have high TBW, bu they 4k read are so slow and if i want to get mlc ssd as fast as 850 evo (4k) then i need to pay ca. 20% in my country.

But i found a good ssd i think, 850 pro 250gb, it has very good 4k read/write, 

#7 Flooder

Flooder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:38 PM

i found another one, Kingstone hyperx Savage, 

850 pro is a bit faster and cost around 10-15% more, hmm, now i dont know which to choose

but found out that 850 was 3d mlc and hyperx was only standard mlc

but 850 pro has only 150 TBW and kingston has 306 TBW, more than twice the longevity

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,481 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:23 AM

950 Pro has good speeds but it's laso very expensive, IMO not worth it. Where you need 4K read speeds?

Also remember that 850 Evo uses SLC cache that makes it much faster on light loads but when cache fills, writing to TLC is much slower. So almost every 850 Evo benchmark result is based on small SLC cache speed.

HyperX Savage is not very fast. Normal MLC is more reliable than 3D MLC as normal MLC has been around much longer (840 and 840 Evo's used experimental TLC and we know what happened). 850 Pro's very low TBW ratings indicate that even Samsung is not trusting their own drive.

If you want really fast SSD, you basically need new motherboard. In the meantime HyperX Savage or any MLC SATA SSD should be enough.

#9 Flooder

Flooder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:53 AM

"Where you need 4K read speeds?".

I watched some Linus videos from youtube, and he said that 4k read/write is important in everyday usage, but seq. read/write is more important if you are dealing with transfering videos.

so i thought maybe it is better to choose ssds that have high IOPS.. 

Thanks for reply, Then i wil go for hyperx savage for now , 

#10 Flooder

Flooder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:29 AM

It seems like m.2 ssds have almost similar price and much more performance, as you said, do i think its better to buy a m.2 ssd, so im gonna wait til ryzen 5 cpus are available and going to buy 1600x or 1700/x, but its mostly going to be 1600x, after can i buy a motherboard for that cpu and a fast m.2 ssd, i think it will be better that way

#11 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,481 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:40 AM

Agreed. Wait for Ryzen 5 and then check what SSD's are available.

Personally I also buy Ryzen but as current ultra fast NVME SSD's have heating issues, I buy first "fast" M.2 SSD and ultra fast M.2 later.

#12 Flooder

Flooder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:45 AM

Yea, sounds great. i think i will also do that , Thanks for the tips:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users