Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

For Your Reading Enjoyment!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:30 AM

https://www.reddit.com/r/talesfromtechsupport/comments/607rru/forgot_my_password_please_help/

:smash:  :hysterical:

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 298 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:05 PM

Yep, good old support stories.  Seen some good 'uns myself.

Try this one: User lubed PC with butter, because pressing a button didn't work

Or this: Word Percect helpline <<== My all-time favourite, but debunked as untrue by Snopes unsurprisingly

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#3 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,380 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:54 PM

I could see that last one happening though, even if it was debunked. I can't believe someone buttered their computer! ... well actually I can believe it. LOL

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Defenestraphobic

• 9,142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:31 PM

TECH: "Tell them you're too stupid to own a computer."

I love that.

$student U know that it's a window 7 thinkpad right

:hysterical:

#5 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:16 PM

Yep, good old support stories.  Seen some good 'uns myself.

Try this one: User lubed PC with butter, because pressing a button didn't work

Or this: Word Percect helpline <<== My all-time favourite, but debunked as untrue by Snopes unsurprisingly

Friend Angoid, should I tell you that it is an "f" in Word Perfect? :hysterical: :hysterical:

Cheers all

:wizardball: Wiz

Nice one, DC :thumbup2:

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 18,985 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:36 PM

Here are some doozies going back to the 90s.

https://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/misc/TechSupport.html

This one is kind of funny.

I was on the phone with a lady who was having problems installing some
software. It was straight forward enough but she sounded extreemly
frustrated. She kept saying that she couldn't get past installing disk
2. I said insert the first disk and type install. She complied and
said it worked ok. I said insert the second disk and hit any key. She
complied but said it makes "funny sounds" and nothing happens. I asked
her to take that disk out and put disk one back in. "Oh you mean I am
supposed to take OUT the first disk before I put in the second!!" was
her astonished reply.

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 March 2017 - 05:36 PM.

#7 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:21 PM

I love that one about the floppy being 'pinned' to the document holder with a sodding great magnet, of all things..!

What did that other tech say about 'telling them you're too stupid to own a computer'? (*snort*) Hah!   :smash:  :hysterical:

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 20 March 2017 - 07:22 PM.

You can only be certain of three things in this life; Birth...Death......and TAXES!!!

If the information given has helped you, please remember to say 'Thanks!'

Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB external USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), PCI-e USB 3.0 adapter card, and external powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub (they ALL get used!)

Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 128GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

8YdCAzr.gif

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,488 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:11 AM

Glad it's not the 90's anymore, though every now & then, will order a low cost accessory for a PC that may or may not have a floppy, and the drivers are only on that, no other media. :thumbdown:

Anyway, it's probably for the best, as I'll find a newer driver online (in .exe format) & all goes well. However, Linux distros normally doesn't need any of this, most all devices will be identified during install, as long as the user chooses the option to be connected to Internet at that time. :)

Only with very, very old computers, especially notebooks with certain wireless cards, which used to be identified & installed, sometimes issues will arise (example, Broadcom wireless cards). 

That was quite funny how the lady didn't realize that the first floppy must be removed before the second is inserted, a wonder she didn't damage the drive and/or media. :lol:

Cat

ASUS Z97-PRO Gamer PC. EVGA GTX 1070 FTW + ACX 3.0 8GB GDDR5 GPU! 4K!  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/WKsjd6AqbjssYbyAAjrQiPc  (Updated 06/01/2017)

ASRock Z97 Extreme6, EVGA GTX 1060 FTW + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/tbdS4YKHBvWROeKETAMBRKk  (Updated 04/12/2017))                                                                       

Dell XPS 8700, Revived from the Dead, EVGA GTX 1060 SSC + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/KrNXc5IZ6HmJvrrLVSZbGzi  (Updated 05/17/2017)

ASUS 970 PRO Gaming AURA, with a cool running FX-8350 CPU!  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/GUHywCAGd5NEjBvRp8KWMoW (Updated 05/30/2017)

Dell Dimension 2400 Rebuild, Done the Right Way!  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/HeJBUMjlYTvLlUNejO0shlr (Updated 06/25/2017)    

#9 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:25 AM

Talking of floppies and the nineties (or even the eighties), there is always the story of the customer who was asked to copy their system floppy disks and send them in.

Which the customer did.  Literally.

The next day, we received a photocopy of their system disks in the post.

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#10 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:51 AM

Now THAT'S FUNNY :thumbup2:

Linux

... and I like John's ... gives a new meaning to double-sided disks.

Linux

Reminds me of one I read where the Company CEO, working back late after staff had left, sent a document to print and nothing happened.

He called the company (outsourced) that held the printer contract and complained.

They went through a diagnostic process until the Help Desk fellow asked if the printer was switched on at the wall. It wasn't.

The CEO, livid by this stage, accused the printer people of having remotely "pulled the plug" because his staff knew to leave that printer on for the boss.

Linux

Just mentioning Linux to keep this Topic here.

When I get time, I will search for some Linux rippers.

Cheers all

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,488 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:36 AM

Talking of floppies and the nineties (or even the eighties), there is always the story of the customer who was asked to copy their system floppy disks and send them in.

Which the customer did.  Literally.

The next day, we received a photocopy of their system disks in the post.

Well, the customer service team can't say that she didn't follow instructions as given. :lol:

While I'm a novice with floppies, it would seem that to actually copy these, would be to have an extra floppy drive & whatever number of blank, writeable floppies on hand to perform the task. I've cleaned up many a computer for distribution to the needy, and never once did I see dual floppy drives in place, though oddly, did see both CD RW & CD ROM's on some computers, one would think that the non-RW model would be a DVD ROM, rather than CD, which when available in the spare components on hand, I'd install a spare DVD ROM & pull the extra CD one. :)

I simply didn't 'get' the idea of having both, although maybe the intention was to prevent excessive wear on the RW one for when truly needed. 

Cat

ASUS Z97-PRO Gamer PC. EVGA GTX 1070 FTW + ACX 3.0 8GB GDDR5 GPU! 4K!  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/WKsjd6AqbjssYbyAAjrQiPc  (Updated 06/01/2017)

ASRock Z97 Extreme6, EVGA GTX 1060 FTW + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/tbdS4YKHBvWROeKETAMBRKk  (Updated 04/12/2017))                                                                       

Dell XPS 8700, Revived from the Dead, EVGA GTX 1060 SSC + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/KrNXc5IZ6HmJvrrLVSZbGzi  (Updated 05/17/2017)

ASUS 970 PRO Gaming AURA, with a cool running FX-8350 CPU!  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/GUHywCAGd5NEjBvRp8KWMoW (Updated 05/30/2017)

Dell Dimension 2400 Rebuild, Done the Right Way!  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/HeJBUMjlYTvLlUNejO0shlr (Updated 06/25/2017)    

#12 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 298 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:29 AM

Or maybe the RW one had been retrofitted, and the old ROM one not removed.  But it is an unusual set-up.

Good one with the remote plug-pulling.

Linux <= Taking a leaf out of Wiz's book :)

#13 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:44 AM

Hey you pair ... Cat & Angoid

Start up a Topic in the appropriate area on unusual hardware configs from the old days, so as to not stray from the OP's subject matter.

I'll be right there, to tell you some of the unusual configs I have worked with, right back to when there were no hard drives, only two floppy drives, lol.

Cheers

@Angoid - don't take too many leaves out of my book or the spine will fall apart ... and what's a Wizard without his book of spells? Lol

#14 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 554 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:35 AM

These are the kind of people we have to deal with in the malware dept .....   .... :whistle:

#15 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:39 PM

Gary, that would get my vote hands down in a "Best Ads of the Year" award show.

You don't have to be a sysadmin or Malware Response staffer to deal with this, I get it all the time from friends and relatives, and just about every single one of those responses I have seen or heard, lol.

Nice find :thumbsup:

:wizardball: Wizard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users