Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop screen issues (HP G60)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 blitzjg

blitzjg

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:40 AM

Hi guys,

I wasn't sure if this would fall under Internal Hardware but I didn't see anything regarding laptops.  I've posted about my older laptop before regarding other issues, I ended up factory resetting it and have since upgraded fresh to Windows 10.  It's been great so far.  Prior to reformatting though I had an issue that just happened again.

I normally close my laptop when I am not using it, putting it to sleep/hibernation.  Several times I will open it up and the screen will not display anything.  The first few times this happened i thought maybe the computer had froze, because it sounded like the processors were working and then got quiet.  If I closed or powered off the computer it would not fix the issue.  What did fix the issue was removing the battery and putting it back in, then on restart the screen worked like normal.

Today it happened for the first time since reformatting, and I am at work so I decided to plug in an external monitor just to verify something was happening with the computer, but to my surprise the display was on the external monitor.  After checking display settings the laptop screen is not detected, so something else must be going on.

I did a brief google search for similar issues and found a fix regarding the power options and turning off sleep/hibernate functions as well as one that suggested the connector between the screen and motherboard might be loose/disconnected.  I tried the first but not the second so far, since that is a little more invasive and was hoping to get your opinions.

Please and thanks for your time and assistance!

-J

Edit: After posting this I restarted my computer like normal and the screen booted up fine, will keep you informed.

Edited by blitzjg, 20 March 2017 - 11:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blitzjg

blitzjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:56 PM

Update:

Just got home from work and upon opening the laptop up the screen is not working again.  Managed to use another screen to restart it, and the laptop screen works on restart, very bizarre, any help here would be hawt.

Edited by blitzjg, 20 March 2017 - 06:12 PM.

#3 blitzjg

blitzjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:01 PM

Can i bump this? Its a really frustrating problem to have on a laptop

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,850 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:36 PM

Things like this are hard to diagnose. Did you also disable fast startup in Windows 10? After disabling fast startup do a full shutdown by opening a command prompt and typing:

shutdown -s

Reboot and see if the problem comes back. If it does then I would say there is a hardware problem but what is it would be hard to track down. It could be the screen or the motherboard itself.

Edit: Added link 

https://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/

Edit: In a dark rook with the computer booted up can you make out a background when you shine a flashlight on the screen? If that is the case the backlight has failed.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 March 2017 - 12:58 PM.

#5 blitzjg

blitzjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:14 PM

Things like this are hard to diagnose. Did you also disable fast startup in Windows 10? After disabling fast startup do a full shutdown by opening a command prompt and typing:

shutdown -s

Reboot and see if the problem comes back. If it does then I would say there is a hardware problem but what is it would be hard to track down. It could be the screen or the motherboard itself.

Edit: Added link 

https://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/

Edit: In a dark rook with the computer booted up can you make out a background when you shine a flashlight on the screen? If that is the case the backlight has failed.

Thank you for your post John,  I really appreciate your time.

I hadn't heard of Fast Startup until your post.  It was on, so I did as you said.  Then I attempted to close the lid.  Same issue.  I looked again at the power options since I had last messed with it.  I originally had thought Hibernation was the problem so I had switched Lid/power button settings all to Sleep.

I switched them from sleep to hibernation to test out whether that had any effect.  Then after closing the lid, waiting for the computer to enter Hibernation mode, and re-opening the lid, An HP logo appeared as if it were waking up.  Then the screen flashed between black and backlight twice and then stayed blank.  Very bizarre, I don't understand why it would recognize the screen and suddenly fail to recognize it while the laptop is in a stationary position.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,850 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:28 PM

I'm not sure what it could be. I had a similar issue but with a desktop. It would enter sleep but never came out when pressing a key. It turned out to be the PSU.

There may be some settings in your BIOS regarding sleep state but I have my doubts changing anything would help. I have a CQ60 laptop which I believe is the compaq version of the G60. I will take a look at my BIOS settings.

This could also be a Windows 10 issue. This laptop is quite old, correct? It's possible the hardware cannot support Windows 10. Did the computer come out of sleep using Windows 10 before this problem occurred?

#7 blitzjg

blitzjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:32 PM

This problem started occurring prior to me reformatting and installing Win10.

I just confirmed that I can successfully initiate sleep and hibernation from the Windows menu and resume the laptop fine while the lid is open, so this is a phenomenon exclusive to closing the lid for some reason.

Does that narrow down the possibilities?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,850 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:50 PM

It may. Some laptops have a magnetic switch and sensor to tell the lid is closed but I am not sure this would be the problem. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users