Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cheez

cheez

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:40 AM

I took the free upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7 last year and recently I have been having some serious problems. 

Currently I am at the BSOD section of this forum, however the person helping me is so busy he has been unable to get back to me for a few days and I didn't want to bother him with another problem.

My system restore will not work.  Every time I try it, it fails with the same error code, 0x80070091.

Online I typed the error code into search and several web sites suggest downloading a repair utility to fix it.
I am reluctant to try this before asking someone here for advice.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:54 AM

You should wait for the reply of the person who is helping you with BSOD error.

Restoring your system to date when there was no BSOD error does not grantee resolving BSOD error but without trying we wont know if issue resolves.

Can you give us the link to utility you want to use to repair System Restore tool error.

Have you tried system restoring your computer from Safe Mode or from Windows 10 Setup DVD?

Uninstall third party antivirus program to see issue resolves.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#3 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:55 AM

When and how many times You have made clean Windows 10 installation after it was upgraded? Never or very long ago?
If so then the first what You MUST to do is new absolutely clean Windows 10 current version installation. 
(NB! Even after upgrade  from version 1511 to 1607 was necessary clean install.)
In other ways Windows will not begin never work correctly.

Edited by zainmax, 20 March 2017 - 07:57 AM.

#4 cheez

cheez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:15 AM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you Free Booter for your reply

I have informed him of my failed attempts with system restore even in safe mode. I have turned off my Kaspersky anti virus which still didn't help.

I was trying to be helpful by running some tests such as, "sfc /SCANNOW", "chkdsk" and ect.  I was going to run "driver verifier" but it is suggested to create a restore point first, which is senseless if it doesn't work.

The upgrade to windows 10 was a download, I do not have a setup DVD.

Here is the link to Wiki-Errors  http://www.wiki-errors.com/wiki/0x80070091.php   the repair utility is from "TechUtilities_setup_1.9.exe"

Thank you Zainmax

I don't have any way to reinstall windows.  As a novice I don't understand what you mean by a clean installation.

Microsoft has a latest version update of windows 10, , https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10  but I did not want to try it untill I ask the person helping me in BSOD, unless it is recommended here, which might fix my problems.

Edited by cheez, 20 March 2017 - 09:21 AM.

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:36 AM

It's hard to repair System Restore tool errors i would not suggest using any utility that is not from Microsoft and for that error message only.

You can create a Windows 10 Setup Media using Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:51 AM

It may give a clue to your helper in the BSOD forum if the Volume Shadow Service is corrupted by typing the following in an elevated command prompt. Press the Windows key + X > cmd as admin.

There should be a list of writers with no errors

vssadmin list writers

Attached Files

#7 cheez

cheez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:52 AM

Thank you again

Microsoft also offers a "Repair Upgrade" using a windows 10 ISO file, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-perform-a-repair-upgrade-using-the-windows/35160fbe-9352-4e70-9887-f40096ec3085

#8 cheez

cheez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:54 AM

Thank you JohnC 21

I will check that right now and let you know

Edit: I checked and there are no errors

Edited by cheez, 20 March 2017 - 10:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users