Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Randomsware prevention

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 newage

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:06 AM

This post is more of a how-to prevent randomsware post.

Our business network uses all Windows 10 computers. However, our sales force has very limited knowledge of how computers work and will tend to install software without thinking about it. They do have access to some folders on our server to store manufacturing prints, etc. In the past we tried to combat viruses with anti-virus software and offsite file backup services. I am the IT person at this company, and to be honest I am somewhat amateur with business networks, but I try.

One day a salesman called me in to ask about files not being able to open and of course one of these ransom notes. I barely read the note and didn't bother with completing it as I knew what had to be done.

I wiped the entire server and restored the backup to a prior date. Then I went to all the Windows computers and locked them down from installing any software by revoking the users privileges and creating a new standard user group on the domain. Since then I have had a few employees ask if they could install some BS software, and I would just let them know that they don't need to be doing things like that on our company computers.

I'm pretty sure we are now 90% protected from ransomware. The only possibility would be if I somehow would get it in the future, but we can always do a system restore thanks to our offsite file backup service.

The only way you could be a victim of ransomware is if you don't have an offsite file backup system. So please, do some research and purchase one. You will be thankful in the future should such a thing happen to you or your company.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:03 AM

The only way you could be a victim of ransomware is if you don't have an offsite file backup system.

Not necessarily offsite, but rather offline.  That is, only ever connected for the purposes of making a backup or restoring from one.  Offsite backups will protect against things such as fire and burglary though.

Remember that ransomware will try to sneak in by the backdoor using exploits, etc. and although it can be installed alongside some "BS software" it is more likely to be installed as a result of following a link in a junk email.  You need to also train your users to not respond to just any and every email they receive as that could be the attack vector.

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#3 quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,719 posts
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:21 PM

We have had two recent discussions about this subject...to protect yourself from malware and ransomware (crypto malware) infections, see these topics...
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users