Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mail keeps deleting gmail from inbox

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Artbuc

Artbuc

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:01 AM

I am transitioning from Verizon to gmail and also from Win Live Mail to Win 10 Mail. Have everything set-up with pop and gmail imap is disabled. Everything is working great (except no printing as discussed in a different thread). However, Win Mail keeps deleting gmail emails from inbox. Does not do that to Verizon emails. I do not think this is a gmail issue because gmail is not getting deleted from my ipad inbox. Can anyone help? Thanks.

I should add that gmail emails get deleted when gmail imap is enabled or disabled.

Edited by Artbuc, 20 March 2017 - 04:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:22 AM

Solved. Mail does not work right with gmail POP, only on IMAP.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,005 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:28 AM

Actually what you're seeing (or were seeing) is entirely normal behavior with POP access.

Many e-mail clients using POP are set up to delete messages from the server the moment they are downloaded, though some are set to do so after some specific period of time.  If you have an e-mail client or clients using POP configured to delete upon download you will only ever get those messages on whichever client happens to grab them from the server first.  When the other goes to do its next download they're already gone.

This is one of the very reasons the IMAP protocol came into existence.   After it became obvious that access to e-mail from multiple devices was going to have to be the norm the client side model of POP was immediately obsolete.  You needed the mail to be processed and stored on the server side and all access on your various clients downloading what are essentially copies of the messages.  Things only get deleted from the server once you intentionally do so under IMAP, not as a side effect of downloading messages such as happens under POP.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:39 PM

Actually what you're seeing (or were seeing) is entirely normal behavior with POP access.

Many e-mail clients using POP are set up to delete messages from the server the moment they are downloaded, though some are set to do so after some specific period of time.  If you have an e-mail client or clients using POP configured to delete upon download you will only ever get those messages on whichever client happens to grab them from the server first.  When the other goes to do its next download they're already gone.

This is one of the very reasons the IMAP protocol came into existence.   After it became obvious that access to e-mail from multiple devices was going to have to be the norm the client side model of POP was immediately obsolete.  You needed the mail to be processed and stored on the server side and all access on your various clients downloading what are essentially copies of the messages.  Things only get deleted from the server once you intentionally do so under IMAP, not as a side effect of downloading messages such as happens under POP.

Just the other way around. Emails stayed on gmail account as that is the way I configured it. Emails were disappearing from my desktop in the Mail app. Did not happen on WLM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users