Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3/15 KB4013418 windows update is messing up my comp, bill gates wtf

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ItsHighNoon

ItsHighNoon

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:28 PM

After a recent update i have been having audio and fps stuttering while playing youtube, games, etc.
I have tried many solutions and mainstream PC tools. except for system restore because i do not have a valid restore point before the update.

how do i get rid of windows update KB4013418? it wont let me uninstall and i read online i can seriously mess up my comp if i want to attempt. apparently only "elite" users can fix this kind of stuff.

within 3 days it has progressed from audio stuttering to no audio at all just now, when i check device manager it has the speaker icon with the volume bar bumping the sound as if it was playing while the youtube vid runs but no sound is playing through my headphones. At first i thought it was my hard drive.

this is very invasive and unamerican.
you just auto update and mess up my computer like this. when i dont want AUTO ANYTHING no pop ups no tracking or locating, window defender or cortana...hogging up all my cpu and memory...on a i7 4790s.... i go in regedit and tskschd.msc and turn off all this crap and my computer STILL gets whacked.
microsoft is too invasive and gives an illusion of control and choice. and messing up computers at the same time.
only in the USA can the elite get away with this kind of stuff.
meanwhile in south korea, the president is getting impeached.

can anyone at all please help me? im at my wits end here.

this is my original thread when i thought it was about the hard drive. with more detail on my methods of diagnosing this astronomical inconvenience.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/642362/audio-fps-stutter-unable-to-click-icons-or-anything-on-screen-randomly/

Edited by ItsHighNoon, 19 March 2017 - 10:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ItsHighNoon

ItsHighNoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:53 AM

help

#3 Steven_M

Steven_M

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:21 AM

Have you ran sfc /scannow in command prompt?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,489 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:55 AM

To follow on to Steven_M's post with a bit more detail:

--------------------------------------

Fixing “Weird Issues” under Windows 8 or Windows 10 Using the System File Checker (SFC) and Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management (DISM)

If you are having "weird problems" with any Windows system, the first thing you should do is to run the System File Checker (SFC).  Open a Command Prompt window using the "Run as Administrator" option.  The easiest way to do this is to hit the Windows Key, immediately enter the text “Command Prompt” and getting the Command Prompt desktop app returned as the first item.  Gain focus on it and bring up the context menu either via right click or hitting the menu/applications key [if your machine has one] or Shift+F10 if it does not then selecting “Run as administrator” from the context menu that appears.  Once that elevated command prompt window is opened, enter:

SFC /scannow

When it's finished look at its output to see if it found any corrupt files and whether it was able to fix them.

If SFC reports that it was unable to fix something, on Windows 8 and Windows 10 systems it's also worth running the following command, also in a Command Prompt window that's been opened with "Run as Adminstrator":

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

DISM should be able to fix errors that SFC may not be able to fix.  If you wish to be really thorough, after running DISM, and presuming it reports that all has been fixed, shutdown and restart your machine and run SFC one final time.  The SFC result should be clean.

--------------------------------------

If that doesn't fix the issue I would then, in order, try the following (and this presumes you have a backup of your data files and any installation media necessary to put programs back on your computer that didn't come with it "out of the box"):

1.  Perform a Reset using the "Keep My Files" option.

2.  Perform a Reset that wipes the machine.

3.  Go to the Windows 10 Download page and try the "Update Now" button.

4.  Go to the Windows 10 Download page and use the Media Creation Tool to create bootable media and reinstall Windows 10 from scratch.

Some of these options will require you to then retrieve your data from your backup.  You can use File History or any backup software of your choosing to snag a copy of your user data files before you begin.

Edited by britechguy, 20 March 2017 - 10:56 AM.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#5 ItsHighNoon

ItsHighNoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:46 AM

thank you steven and brian i am going to try these solutions. i have ran a SFC but not the DISM. 

just for the record, when i uninstall  my realtek audio device from device manager and canceled every time it tried to auto install my FPS and audio in games and youtube went back to normal. but my ping spiked and stayed around 3000-4000, youtube videos barely loaded as well. so i couldnt even use my internet.
so i re-install the realtek audio device and my internet is normal but my audio + fps is messing up again.

i feel like if resort to completely uninstalling everything and reinstalling the OS or re-download microsoft software that my computer according to microsoft needs, more problems will come like being stuck in the windows update load screen which has happened to me before...but not like i have a choice right?

found this article for those with my problem as well.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/march-14-updates-breaking-down-windows-10-kb4013418-possibly-to-blame-513982.shtml

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/5zlk1z/march_14th_updates_screwed_my_computer/

Edited by ItsHighNoon, 20 March 2017 - 11:56 AM.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,489 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:15 PM

Not that I don't feel your pain, because I do, but what's happened to you (and the others in the articles you cite) can occur for a multitude of reasons that have nothing to do, at least not directly, with the content of a Microsoft update.  That's not saying it isn't a result of that, either, but at least when it is the current use of system health telemetry allows Microsoft to know, and very promptly, that there is some characteristic pattern of malfunction that may not have been seen during their testing.   Given the untold millions of computers that are running Windows 10, many of which were never officially certified to do so by their own manufacturers, it is absolutely impossible for Microsoft, or any third party software maker, to test every possible hardware configuration along with installed software configurations that will be encountered "in the wild."

I've been doing technical support for a long time now, and the number of messes I've had to clean up that I felt were clearly the direct result of someone blocking updates because they heard/read somewhere that these cause problems far outnumber the issues I've had to fix that were secondary to an update.  Even in those cases where a fix, usually a roll back to a previous restore point, was necessary the update ended up being patched after the problem was identified by enough people calling Microsoft technical support that it could be recognized that a failure pattern was occurring.   It took a lot longer in those days to collect enough incidents and with enough specificity to determine that there was a bug or bugs in updates.   Now most of that is done via system health telemetry and several different updates, including the major ones, have occasionally had their roll-outs stopped so that an unexpected issue could be fixed before the roll-out continued.

There is no perfect system for doing updates, but letting end users decide, most of whom have absolutely no idea what they're deciding about, has already been proven a recipe for disaster.  When you add to that the fact that any software maker, including Apple among others, will ask as the first question when you call support, "Is the system up to date and all updates applied?," the automatic update scheme for Windows Home users in particular makes abundant sense.  I've known people who were infuriated when support will not work with them on a problem when they answer, "No," and it ends up taking forever to apply a backlog of updates that never should have been blocked in the first place.  You need to have confidence that what you're working with "out there" is as close to what you have to work with in your office when doing support as possible.

It is not accurate to characterize the new update scheme as having to do with "what Microsoft needs."   Any, and I do mean any, OS maker expects that you will have the most up to date version of a currently supported operating system installed and most are set up to apply updates, at least what Microsoft used to class as either critical or important updates, automatically as well.

Were I in your shoes I would follow the progression I've given you until you have reached a stable state on your system.  That advice is, of course, predicated on the presumption that your hardware is certified for Windows 10 in the first place.  If it isn't that is a whole different can of worms.  You may need to reinstall some specific device drivers if you have "odd pieces" of hardware as part of your computer.  On my laptop, for instance, there is an AMD utility that monitors the device drivers for the AMD components and updates them as necessary.  It will override what Windows might choose if, by chance, the database Microsoft is using has not yet been updated and an older driver ends up being installed by Windows update.

Edited by britechguy, 20 March 2017 - 12:17 PM.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:25 PM

Did you try a new profile as explained in the Softpedia link. Have you tried a clean boot and see if you still get lag?

https://www.winhelp.us/clean-boot-windows.html

Here are some additional links on KB4013418

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/kb4013418-brick-my-computer/67ed2056-ac98-4875-8f50-719bb260cf69

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/problems-since-installing-kb4013418/7df9e397-a1cd-452e-affd-380156d66e2a

http://windowsreport.com/fix-windows-10-kb4013418-bugs/

Also problems with KB4013429

http://windowsreport.com/windows-10-kb4013429-bugs/

It seems Windows 7 has had no problems. 

#8 ItsHighNoon

ItsHighNoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:02 AM

thank you brian for opening my eyes a bit to the other side of things. i appreciate you taking the time out break it down for me. ill keep that in regard when ranting about computer stuff i dont know much about. i should just go with the flow instead of resisting change. especially when resources are limited. computers are quite fascinating but complicated isnt even the word.

john thank you for those topics and taking the time out to help me. i actually havent found 1 of them. i did create a new admin profile but i did not delete the first but im past that point john...im done.... for the past 6 hours i have been trying to reset my computer.

funny thing is while i was downloading the windows media tool to the USB, my audio and fps issue seemed fixed. after it was done downloading it went back to having issues. 

so this is my new problem i use the windows media creation tool. get the 4 gigs of the set up on my USB, plug the usb in. go through settings, account and recovery, and i start the process. i click on dvd, cd, usb system reset option. i get to a point where it asks hard drive or UEFI efi mode. i click on that UEFI mode because the hard drive isnt USB. puts me in shell command so i exit.

I have a custom built pc. i7 4790s and a 960.never made a backup. no system restore check point. never had anti virus or anything like that, defender is also on block. all raw dog. i dont like to be slowed down by dead weight and i dont normally make mistakes. but i understand that mistakes can still happen that arent your fault and thats a mistake in itself. this has been quite the journey. 

if i need to do a full system reset....
which drivers do i need to download to this USB so i will be okay setting up my computer again? i have the 4gigs on windows 10 setup on it.
do i have to go into EFI shell command and erase stuff and re setup windows and my drivers through that shell command screen?! i am extremely confused.
do i need to convert files in the USB to so they are ready for my computer to use in it raw form? or can i just drag and drop after i download it? compress them?
does my USB have to be made by a certain date to be compatible?
do i need my windows key or can i just skip or press next when prompted?

Edited by ItsHighNoon, 21 March 2017 - 09:03 AM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:21 AM

By 960 do you mean a Samsung NVMe?  If you do not need any data on the drive and you created the USB flash drive using the Media Creation Tool I would do the following. 

What is the model of the MB? Boot your USB flash drive.  If you do not get an install screen showing your partitions I would advise using the Media Creation tool to download an iso file and then use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. When running Rufus select GPT partition scheme if the motherboard is UEFI.

See this guide for doing a clean install. This is for Windows 8 but the steps are the same for 10. You can skip the key as your Windows 10 has already been activated on Microsoft servers.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-8-or-8-1-2626254

If you still have problems with the steps it may be necessary to use the diskpart command to clean the disk before doing a clean install. 

Edit: Open a command prompt and type

diskpart

list disk

Is there an asterisk under the GPT column for the disk that boots Windows?

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 March 2017 - 09:36 AM.

#10 ItsHighNoon

ItsHighNoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:57 AM

By 960 do you mean a Samsung NVMe?  If you do not need any data on the drive and you created the USB flash drive using the Media Creation Tool I would do the following. 

What is the model of the MB? Boot your USB flash drive.  If you do not get an install screen showing your partitions I would advise using the Media Creation tool to download an iso file and then use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. When running Rufus select GPT partition scheme if the motherboard is UEFI.

See this guide for doing a clean install. This is for Windows 8 but the steps are the same for 10. You can skip the key as your Windows 10 has already been activated on Microsoft servers.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-clean-install-windows-8-or-8-1-2626254

If you still have problems with the steps it may be necessary to use the diskpart command to clean the disk before doing a clean install. 

Edit: Open a command prompt and type

diskpart

list disk

Is there an asterisk under the GPT column for the disk that boots Windows?

sorry i should have told you. an nvidia evga 960. MSI H81M-33 (MS-7817) is the mobo.
i am going to follow the instructions in that guide and downloda the rufus app. thanks again.

anything i should watch out for when doing my first custom clean install?

Edited by ItsHighNoon, 21 March 2017 - 10:09 AM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:05 AM

The MB is UEFI so you are dealing with a GPT disk. The only thing to watch out for and I doubt it will be an issue is the screen that shows your disk partitions. If the Windows 10 install USB does not detect your disk partitions then you will need to add the drivers to a USB flash drive in order to let Windows detect your hard drive.

It may be a good idea to download your MB drivers to a USB ahead of time. Your LAN, Intel Management, and Chipset drivers but Windows 10 is pretty good at picking up the latest drivers.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,489 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:17 AM

Far be it from me to argue with John_C21, and his advice is good, but I never do a clean installation of Windows 10 without having done a Reset (whether with keep my files or wipe) first, since it's absolutely the easiest way to get a fresh installation of Windows 10 without having to deal with external media, at least when it works, and I haven't had the "wipe" Reset fail but once.

Windows 10 has made it easier than it ever was to get a fresh installation of the OS without the muss and fuss historically necessary to do one.

Also, Windows 10 has made leaps and bounds in terms of getting updated drivers for a wide array of hardware in its libraries since the early days of Windows 10.  I'm finding fewer and fewer instances where I need to do anything as far as downloading drivers from a specific hardware manufacturer's website except if something has gotten inexplicably screwed up that had been humming along just fine.  I won't say I never need to do that, but it's just not as frequent as it was in the past.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:24 AM

I agree with britechguy. If you can do a reset from within Windows that would be the best way to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users