Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to set up personal server. Help Needed.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ravenbar

Ravenbar

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:24 PM

First, a bit on the network layout. Fiber optic comed into the house and is fed into a wireless router(I don't have control of this router). I pull my connections through a wireless bridge(Netgear wireless extender set up as a bridge.) My personal systems are hard wired to the Netgear. When I set up the wireless bridge, I thought it would result in me having my own metwork with internet being fed from the house router. Instead, wireless bridge is invisable from a network topography standpoint and my systems are treated as part of the house network.

I'm set up an Avahi server on a Fedora base. I'm having trouble using the server as all but basic management requires Iurn off DHCP at the router and instead let the server handle it. As the DHCP is currently being handled by a router outside of my control, I'm not sure how to proceed.

I suspect if I set up a router between the Netgear Bridge and my systems, that may solve the issue. No need to access the server from outside my personal systems. I'm just trying to get a virtualization host going so I can test Linux distros and also use as a backup/media server. Server is an old HP SFF desktop with an i7-3770 and 16Gb or ram so I suspect the fasted machine I've currently got around(haven't benchmarked it to check.)

Desktops: "John2" Custom, Gigabyte F2A88Xm-D3H, AMD 6A-5400K Trinity 3.6Ghz Dual-Core APU, 16Gb DDR3  HyperX Fury 1866Mhz RAM, 120Gb Crucial Force LS SSD OS) Linux Mint 17.3, 320Gb Raid1 array consisting of (1) Seagate ST320LT020-9YG14 & (1) Fujitsu MZH2320B

Francisco: HP pavilion p7-1080t upgraded with 16Gb ram. Windows 7. Used only for Gaming

Server.GaltsGulch: HP Elite 8300 Small Form Factor, i7-3770, 16Gb ram, Kingston SSDNow 120Gb SSD, 3Tb storage HDD, Fedora Linux/Avahi, Headless

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,800 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:35 PM

I don't have any experience with Avahi, and don't know why it needs to run DHCP.  You might be able to set it to use DHCP addresses not handled by the router.  If the router hands out 192.168.1.1 addresses set up the Avahi to use 192.168.1.100 or 192.168.1.200 on up.  While not ideal, should work for you.  The odds of the house router handing out 100 IP addresses should be pretty slim, so you shouldn't run into duplicate IP issues.

However, if Avahi needs to handle DHCP as part of something else it won't know about machines that get their IP address from the house router.  Additionally any other devices in the house could be assigned an IP address by Avahi.  I don't know if this is an issue for you or not.

#3 Ravenbar

Ravenbar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:24 PM

I don't have any experience with Avahi, and don't know why it needs to run DHCP.  You might be able to set it to use DHCP addresses not handled by the router.  If the router hands out 192.168.1.1 addresses set up the Avahi to use 192.168.1.100 or 192.168.1.200 on up.  While not ideal, should work for you.  The odds of the house router handing out 100 IP addresses should be pretty slim, so you shouldn't run into duplicate IP issues.

However, if Avahi needs to handle DHCP as part of something else it won't know about machines that get their IP address from the house router.  Additionally any other devices in the house could be assigned an IP address by Avahi.  I don't know if this is an issue for you or not.

Basically, Avahi is using DHCP to link internal URLs to its network applications. I.E. accessing the clearbudget app is done via the http://budget.server.galtsgulch/ URL.

I'm not sure how but when I clicked on the internal server webmanager link to clearbudget, it appears to be working now. Not sure how.

Desktops: "John2" Custom, Gigabyte F2A88Xm-D3H, AMD 6A-5400K Trinity 3.6Ghz Dual-Core APU, 16Gb DDR3  HyperX Fury 1866Mhz RAM, 120Gb Crucial Force LS SSD OS) Linux Mint 17.3, 320Gb Raid1 array consisting of (1) Seagate ST320LT020-9YG14 & (1) Fujitsu MZH2320B

Francisco: HP pavilion p7-1080t upgraded with 16Gb ram. Windows 7. Used only for Gaming

Server.GaltsGulch: HP Elite 8300 Small Form Factor, i7-3770, 16Gb ram, Kingston SSDNow 120Gb SSD, 3Tb storage HDD, Fedora Linux/Avahi, Headless

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,800 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:56 PM

Name resolution is DNS (Domain Name Servers) not DHCP.  You might be able to manually add the Avahi server as an additional DNS server in each machine's IP configuration.  I'm starting to think that any solution is not going to be ideal.

#5 Ravenbar

Ravenbar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:53 PM

New plan of attack. Going to to start from scratch on this.

New Thread here: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/642865/want-to-set-up-virtual-machine-server-need-you-ideas/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users