Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to find compatible PSU?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sleimann

sleimann

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:21 PM

So decided to upgrade my PC for the first time, not knowing id be way over my head. So i get a new GPU have the correct PSU but i get it anyways and find out the hard way i don't have enough. My PSU is only rated at 180w and from what ive read id need at least 500+. So i go back and bring the oldPSu to make sure i get something compatible. He tells me the other ones are not gonna fit and are not gonna work with my pc and i should go to lenovo.com and buy one there that is meant as an upgrade. Im not sure what to do nor do  i know what will work. the PSU i have now is about  6in.x4in.x4in, length wise i have a lot more room but idk about the rest but i feel like it can be a bit bigger. There's 1-14pin connector and another 6 pin connector they both go into motherboard. I haven't found anything about that as well in terms of PSU compatibility. Now to answer my question is there a specific PSU i should look into or like the best buy guy said do i not have many options and have to find something LeNovo specific? He said my best bet is just build my own pc from scratch and ill have more freedom on what to do but im not sure i wanna shed out all the money. Im sorry im really a noob and know i probably have no clue what im talking about but any info would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:33 PM

You will first need to find out if your case will even accept a standard dimension ATX size power supply, as it would be a shame to order one, and find out it won't fit, and, that you also now need a new case as well... (If you do need a new midtower case, Corsair makes a nice 100R for $49 that I am quite happy with)

Many manufacturers use proprietary cases, and some use uniquely bizarre PSU with custom connectors designed for their case/maiinboard, and, some of the lower quality 'desktop' rigs even use external laptop PSUs, with the computer essentially being a laptop mainboard/cpu stuffed into a smallish HP case...

(Edit- you sure of the pin count on the large connector to the mainboard? Most modern PSUs have a 24 pin standard connector)

Edited by MDD1963, 19 March 2017 - 05:37 PM.

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,005 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:34 PM

It would really help to have the actual details about all the components you're talking about, particularly model numbers for the computer and GPU, and the like.  It sounds like you've got a 20-pin ATX connection to your motherboard.

I've definitely installed power supplies in tower cases that were larger, both physically and in wattage, than the original equipment has been.  You've got to have enough wattage to handle the maximum demand from all your component parts operating at their peak demand with perhaps a tiny bit of additional "breathing room."  If the PSU can fit inside the case, most have multiple points where the screws can be inserted to match various cases.

You can source myriad PSUs to fit your machine.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 sleimann

sleimann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:48 PM

When i hooked up the GPU and turned PC on it has LED lights that are really bright and they light up. But when i connect HDMI to it i get a black screen, I did notice a little red light on the GPU which i found out to be it doesnt have enough power to run it. I believe this is the pc model i have http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-desktop-amd-a10-series-12gb-memory-2tb-hard-drive-black/4362103.p?skuId=4362103 .  Lenovo - Desktop AMD A10-Series - 12GB Memory - 2TB Hard Drive - Black. The GPU is a radeon rx 480 4gb. I couldnt find anything about my connectors. Again only 2 connectors, a 14 pin and a 6 pin.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,005 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:04 PM

It sounds like Lenovo did use an unusual power supply for these units but it also appears that "where there's a will, there's a way" if one has enough patience and not enough money (and I've been there).

Have a look at:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2532461/tr2-power-supply-installed-lenovo-h50-90b70017us-turning.html  (which makes things look somewhat bleak)

and http://www.adventuresindiy.com/computer/lenovo-h530s-how-to-upgrade-your-power-supply (which gives hope)

even though neither deals with your specific model, but it looks like they're "kissin' cousins" and the principles would apply.  You could, of course, check with Lenovo as well just to see what options, if any, they recommend.

I wasn't expecting a non-standard for a tower power supply arrangement.  This does place more constraints than would be typical on your options.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 sleimann

sleimann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:16 PM

Wow thats really helpful I appreciate that man. But then also what do you think about size??? I couldnt find much on PSUs about the same size as mine or not much bigger??? On another note, If i get the new case and decide to get a new motherboard and run some upgrades, do you think i can reuse most of the hardware from old pc??? I have a AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7 processor which id like to upgrade but have no clue to what, 12 GB of ram which i think should be enough, the radeon rx480 gpu, and a 2 TB hard drive which is more than enough. I wouldnt mind buying a case and new power supply if i could reuse the rest of my stuff. Again im a complete noob and have little knowledge on this

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,005 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:20 PM

Much as I wish I could answer your questions about "reduce, reuse, recycle" as far as taking a stock computer and essentially making a new "build it yourself" machine, I can't.

I tend to buy off-the-shelf configurations because there are just so many options that meet my needs.  I don't do "high powered" computing that involves realtime 3D rendering or the like.

I'm as much of a newbie as you are in terms of what you propose to do.  I hope that others will chime in, including those who might say, "You'd have to be insane to try this - it would be cheaper to have a new machine built."   There are times, and this could be one of them, but might not, where even if something can be done that doesn't mean it makes sense to do it.

Edited by britechguy, 19 March 2017 - 06:20 PM.

#8 sleimann

sleimann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:35 PM

Yeah I understand. Something got into me that said hey lets get a new graphics card and my dumbass thought i would be like open up the pc, put it in, and call it a day. But hey its all been a learning experience..  I appreciate the help 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users