Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Has anyone tried XP inside Robolinuux ?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Rayoptics

Rayoptics

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:16 PM

Does everything windows still work ? I was thinking of partitioning a drive for 3 different operating systems, (linux) LXLE , possibly Windows 7 and XP cloned from my old machine and running inside Robolinux.

What good or bad experiences can you share (in simple terms) to the not so saavy - that's me. Thanks

:crazy: Going crazy

Edited by Rayoptics, 19 March 2017 - 05:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:42 AM

Rayoptics, while I've never ran Robolinux, from what I'm reading, does look to be promising. :)

http://www.worldstart.com/robolinux-revealed-the-linux-a-windows-user-can-love/

My only issue, is the donations asked for, is this mandatory (like to get upscale editions of Zorin OS), or voluntary, where one can try the software & then make a donation. That's the only issue that concerns me, would be great for it to be voluntary & allow the user to make a donation that suits their budget & if worth the cost or not.

For some reason or the other, keep getting stuck with download, the developer wants $9.95 (for the Linux Mint version of Robolinux), although states that support is included. 

https://robolinux.org/lm/downloads/

Good Luck! :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 JohnAdam20

JohnAdam20

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:37 AM

I used to use Linux OS but since most some of the windows OS apps were incompatible with Linux OS, i had to use a virtual machine. I have used windows OS inside Linux by utilizing Virtual box software.

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:11 AM

I used to use Linux OS but since most some of the windows OS apps were incompatible with Linux OS, i had to use a virtual machine. I have used windows OS inside Linux by utilizing Virtual box software.

Which distro?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:51 PM

First I'd like to thank cat1092 for the comments and that I agree with the donation bit. Next Rocky Bennet said: "I have used windows OS inside Linux by utilizing Virtual box software."

Isn't Robolinux supposed to create a virtual machine ? Confused. I have a disk I bought from OSdisc which is Robolinux 32bit Gnome 7.8.3. I want to run all my XP stuff in it. What happens if there is something old you want to download ? Maybe a music or graphics app from the site Old Apps. Will it work ? .... Thanks

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,682 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:58 PM

Maybe a music or graphics app from the site Old Apps. Will it work ? .

You want to download and run stuff on XP in VM? Thats not a problem, just download and install it like you would if XP was running on a physical machine.

#7 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:14 PM

Forgot to ask how you safely remove Robolinux that has XP inside (If you don't like Robo). In other words you have some important stuff in XP want to save it and move up to 7 or something.

:crazy:

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,682 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:32 PM

Forgot to ask how you safely remove Robolinux that has XP inside (If you don't like Robo).

Do you mean uninstall Linux while keeping the XP machine in tact so it can be used on another distro?

How to export and import VirtualBox VM images?

#9 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:21 PM

Maybe a music or graphics app from the site Old Apps. Will it work ? .

You want to download and run stuff on XP in VM? Thats not a problem, just download and install it like you would if XP was running on a physical machine.

Okay - That's cool. Thanks

#10 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:34 PM

Forgot to ask how you safely remove Robolinux that has XP inside (If you don't like Robo).

Do you mean uninstall Linux while keeping the XP machine in tact so it can be used on another distro?

How to export and import VirtualBox VM images?

No more Linux distros. I've tried quite a number of different ones and find them too hard to work with. I think linux needs more work. Guess I'd say it works if you really understand it. I meant uninstall it leaving only XP. Put what I want on a flash drive and replace it with Windows XP with 7.  I might not have to do it exactly like that but you get the idea.

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,682 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:41 PM

I meant uninstall it leaving only XP.

You cant. You would have to format the hard drive and reinstall XP on the physical machine.

#12 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:50 PM

You get right to the point. I like that. Thanks Aussie  :)

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,682 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:07 PM

You are welcome.

Indeed I do go straight to the point, You asked a question and I gave you a simple answer I find its easier this way especially for people who are new to Linux, Its less confusing and I have found most people dont care for long explanations.

Why did you go with Robo Linux?

No more Linux distros. I've tried quite a number of different ones and find them too hard to work with.

What do you find hard to work with? maybe we can help.

#14 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:21 PM

Well Nick, I'm a senior who had heart surgery some months back. I didn't want to spend my last years learning new operating systems. I just thought Robolinux might be friendlier / more familiar. :blink: or not

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,682 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:13 PM

Fair enough, What distros have you tried? Something like Zorin might be better

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users