Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommend some motherboards (please)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rayoptics

Rayoptics

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:01 PM

I haven't been well lately so I apologize if this is sort of a duplicate post. I have a nice desktop case that has an older MSI board that will NOT take any more than 2 gigabytes of ram if this wasn't so I would use the board.. The 2x2 gb arrangement didn't exist when the MSI was made so I'm looking for another board. I don't want any proprietary boards. No Dells, HPs not even an Intel, I can't afford new stuff so I'd like 2 or 3 sata sockets and YES, 3 IDE sockets. Dual core is fine. You're opinion counts.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:27 PM

Most motherboards that use IDE ports are from 2005/2006 or earlier, and, many chipsets from that era would only accept DIMMS of a certain size, and, even a new MB from that era could easily have the same limitations. (It would be helpful if you mentioned a socket required/desired, as there are many options) Naturally, some smaller mainboards might have only had 2 memory slots, and, this situation still exists today with smaller Micro ITX boards, and, stripped down basic consumer boards for even the most modern cpus.

It's eventually time to let go of old hardware, and, in my opinion, it is a waste of money replacing a mainboard to accomodate a, what, an old socket 423 Pentium IV, Socket 939  Athlon, etc., that will still be slow even if functioning, and, undoubtedly on nothing more modern than WIndows XP anyway....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,618 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:29 PM

The big question is what are you using this new build for? If you are just general usage, maybe play a Youtube video occasionally, surfing the web in general, etc. or are you in to heavy gaming (it doesn't sound like it, but I need to know).

If you want to use your existing CPU on a new board you will run into compatibility problems. If so, please list your current components.

I will tell you now that finding three IDE sockets is going to be difficult or impossible. The only boards I have used have a max of one IDE socket.

Edited by ranchhand_, 19 March 2017 - 05:30 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 Rayoptics

Rayoptics
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:51 PM

I'm a senior that was doing GWBASIC when I was 38 (late 1980s). I don't do any gaming. I could be wrong, but I think all the online gaming is overtaxing the internet. I do a lot of medical research on line and a lot of it ends up as text files (copy/paste) since they're tiny. I've made a folder called healthcare since I had heart surgery last fall and there are some other health things going on. What I use to write these posts with is a very old socket A (AMD thorughbred). One memory socket is broken so I only have 1 gig of memory. The local NAPA manager had it in the back of the store and he just gave it to me. OMG 17 years on this computer.

You can see how important it is to get something newer and get my files moved over to it. Just like me, it won't last forever.

Someone asked about what kind of socket I was looking for : I'd have to say 775 might be adequate because I'm using a dish in a rural area. It's only gives me .5 to 1.5 mbps which is awful. Very hard to watch a you tube.  :(

Edited by Rayoptics, 19 March 2017 - 06:53 PM.

#5 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:51 AM

you could probably find someone's trade-in system (that they are now completely replacing) for as little as $100 that will be 4 times faster than your current rig...

My recommendation would be an i5-6400/6500 with at least 4GB of RAM, and preferably 8....

(I'd abandon the idea of finding an IDE PATA/66/100/133 compatible mainboard, and just accept the fact you will need an adapter/temp docking station that functions w/ ATA drives to transfer your data)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:19 AM

I haven't been well lately so I apologize if this is sort of a duplicate post. I have a nice desktop case that has an older MSI board that will NOT take any more than 2 gigabytes of ram if this wasn't so I would use the board.. The 2x2 gb arrangement didn't exist when the MSI was made so I'm looking for another board. I don't want any proprietary boards. No Dells, HPs not even an Intel, I can't afford new stuff so I'd like 2 or 3 sata sockets and YES, 3 IDE sockets. Dual core is fine. You're opinion counts.
Thanks

For that reason MSI couldn't promise 4GB RAM support. Usually there is no hard limit for total memory so I expect your board will support 2*2GB memory.

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,618 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:21 AM

Here is a board that I use for replacements when an old computer comes in with a blown motherboard. Unfortunately, as I mentioned in my earlier post, it only has one IDE port. And I am afraid that none of your old components will work so you are in to building a new computer, unfortunately. In addition, you will need to purchase an operating system, I suggest Windows 7 home edition. You can still find Windows XP, possibly for free, and if you use a good antivirus with a goo firewall you should be pretty secure, since you only go to certain web sites that are trustworthy. There are some pretty low-cost desktops out there, but, again unfortunately, they come with Windows 10 pre-installed. Since much of Windows 10 depends on internet conntection as far as updates are concerned, with the slow connection you have, it will be very annoyingly slow. So I guess you will decide between searching Ebay for old parts or moving up to a new unit.

Motherboard:  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157581

Desktop:   https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883221325&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&ignorebbr=1&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users