Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Won't boot Systems + Fans power on Black screen/No signal

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Steffan87

Steffan87

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:50 PM

Hey guys, I think this is my first time posting here. 

I built my own rig about 2 years ago (Specs listed at the end). I have since replaced my PSU once because of a power outage 7 months ago. 

The other night I was playing the Witcher 3: Wild Hunt as I have many times before. Later in the night I stretched out my legs while sitting in the chair and accidentally hit the HDMI cord mediocre with my toe causing the picture to go black and the GPU to be un-seated inside the case but systems were still running (could still hear the game and control my character through hearing it). I then did a hard shutdown of my computer and re-seated the GPU this has happened before without booting problems*. I tried starting the computer but the power wouldn't catch til after about 30 seconds, the computer fans and systems seemed to power up after that but my monitor has no signal. I also noticed that since the hard shutdown my Cougar PC case does not light up when the power is turned on which it was doing before the toe incident leading to believe its PSU or MOBO

Things I have tried:
Remove CMOS battery for 1 minute replace and try (no boot)
Reset CMOS and tried another 3v lithium battery (no boot)
I removed my 2 16GB RAM sticks and tried one at a time also cleaning the seating areas of dust (no boot) 
I removed my CPU and cleaned the heat sink (made positive CPU power cord was plugged in along with CPU fan, no boot) 
I unplugged my power cord and held the power button for 1 minute multiple times (no boot) 
I disconnected my unnecessary components, disc drives etc (no boot) 
I completely took everything EXCEPT for the motherboard out of the case and re-seated it (no boot)
I have been using it with no problem until i hit the cord with my foot I have also tried new power cords and HDMI cords (No boot) 

I turn the computer on, fans come on sounds like its going good but no boot and no case lights

Specs:
-PSU Corsair CX750M bought from bestbuy 7 months ago
-GPU MSI R9 Gaming 3g
-MOBO GIGABYTE GA 970a-DS3P
-HD WD 1TB
-RAM 2x Ballistix 16gb 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24 1.5V
-AMD FX CPU

Any help would be appreciated I have a feeling I need to replace the PSU or MoBo but I do not have a mobo beeper. 

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Steffan87

Steffan87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:04 PM

bump

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 52,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:21 PM

Try a different PSU. Alternately, try that PSU in a different system.

Louis

#4 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:39 PM

Do you have another HDMI cable to try? Does the GPU have a DVI connection you can test to a known good monitor?

------

Power everything off, remove power cord.

Reseat GPU, remove all drive SATA/power connections to assorted drives, drop to one mem stick in required slot..

Try again. (shifting a GPU in it's PCI-e slot while it's drawing up to 75 watts of power could be bad for a GPU, or mainboard, or PSU...or all 3.

You can try a known good PSU first, or, test your (now unknown/potentially suspect) GPU in a known good mainboard. If those items test good, the remaining options are not....good! (mainboard)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#5 Steffan87

Steffan87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:46 PM

Thanks for the replies guys! I just went to Bestbuy and bought another CX750M  ( The exact same PSU I had before). It does not work any different. I push the power button and the same thing happens, Fans and systems turn on. NO signal on the monitor and No boot. I did connect my keyboard to the USB and it does light up and work but after 2 minutes I tried to put caps lock on and nothing happens leading me to believe there is NO BOOT. I am going to return the new PSU tomorrow and try getting a new RAM stick to see if I can get a boot. Could it possibly be my Hard Drive?. I am trying to troubleshoot each item.

-New PSU did nothing
-Next is new RAM stick
-After that I will buy a new Mobo 
-God Forbid I need a new GPU, but wouldnt the computer at least boot? the fans on the GPU spins and it seems to be in working order. 

And help would be so helpful!

My Rig was always disconnected when re-seating a piece of hardware. 

#6 Steffan87

Steffan87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:21 PM

Hey guys, 

So I returned the new PSU and I was going to order a Motherboard Speaker so I can pin point what the problem is. Does anyone have any thoughts?

#7 Steffan87

Steffan87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:32 PM

Hey guys, I have been trying to troubleshoot why my computer turns on but will not boot. I replaced the PSU but nothing seemed to be any different so I returned the PSU 

I am trying to get a compatible motherboard speaker/beeper for a GIGABYTE GA 970a-DS3P motherboard a lot of them are 4 pin but I dont see a spot on my motherboard that would fit. Can someone tell me which motherboard beeper I should order for my GIGABYTE GA 970a-DS3P?

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:44 AM

At this point, don't worry about the system beeper, you need to get the unit to boot first.

When you power-up, do you get the POST screen or not?  If you do not, reset the CMOS back to factory default and try again.

[EDIT]:   I just noticed that you have already posted yesterday about this same problem; please do not double-post, responders waste time researching your problem and posting suggestions when it was already covered on your previous post.

Mod Edit:  Merged topics - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 23 March 2017 - 10:18 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me but no guarantee I will respond.

#9 Steffan87

Steffan87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:52 PM

Damn, Just got the beeper in the mail. No it does not post my fans literally turn on but NOTHING happens with boot. I even made sure to plug in my keyboard and try caps lock after a while to see if it is actually booting but the caps lock light does not turn on and off but the keyboard is lit up. Any help would be appreciated I don't understand why this suddenly happened, I just need to figure out which component I need to replace. I've tried a New PSU, same thing happens. If it was the hard drive the PC would post and tell me no disks available I would imagine. I did however notice one of the small gold plates on my GPU is missing a small piece. I think it is my MOBO but I'd hate to spend the money and have it be the GPU or CPU.

​Thank you!

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 52,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:23 PM

Well...I don't know much but I would automatically rule out the CPU as a candidate.  In my 20 years of playing with my systems...the only times I had problems due to CPUs were situation where I created the problem by bending CPU pins (unintentionally).

In a perfect world...someone would make an intelligent assessment without hands-on and that would be that..  In a perfect world, you would have components that you could switch out and determine the cause of the problem.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users