Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C drive keeps filling up

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 halfdeaded

halfdeaded

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:24 AM

HP Envy 20-d034 Touchsmart All-In-One desktop PC, 500GB HDD.

Started getting pop-ups about low disk space. Did disk clean up, unchecked indexing, checked compress disk, defragged, deleted unnecessary files, moved other files to external drive. Ended up with around 45% free space.

Next day got more pop-ups about low disk space. Tried to run Webroot, found it wasn't running due to not renewing Geek Squad service contract. Tried to uninstall & install AVG Free. AVG wouldn't run due to other antivirus running.

After many attempts to uninstall Webroot from their sites suggestions, finally removed it from computer, I hope.

Tried to run AVG again & got pop-up about AVG not able to scan due to low disk space.

After running WinDirStat, it reported that over 357GB of space was being used by unknown programs/files etc..

Every time something on C gets deleted, most of its freed up space ends up in this unknown category.

Any suggestions/ideas? Should I treat this as a virus/malware?

Thank You in advance for taking time to look into this... ed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:38 AM

First of all, you should not run or even have two antivirus programs installed.  Choose one of these and uninstall the other.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable. Why? The primary concern with doing so is due to Windows resource management and significant conflicts that can arise especially when they are running in real-time protection mode simultaneously. Even if one of them is disabled for use as a stand-alone on demand scanner, it can affect the other and cause conflicts. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up regardless of whether real-time protection is enabled or not. Thus, using multiple anti-virus solutions can result in kernel mode conflicts causing system instability, catastrophic crashes, slow performance and waste vital system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, each anti-virus may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

If you are having trouble uninstalling Webroot open the Search box, copy and paste the command below, then press Enter.

"C:\Program Files\Webroot\WRSA.exe" –uninstall

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Credit for this information goes to quietman7.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 halfdeaded

halfdeaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:56 AM

"After many attempts to uninstall Webroot from their sites suggestions, finally removed it from computer, I hope."

I used Revo Uninstaller & it seemed to work

I was not trying to run 2  antivirus programs at the same time. I didn't realize that Webroot was so hard to get rid of. I had already done the uninstall command from their site suggestions before I tried to run AVG again. It was after that I installed WinDirStat & found the unknown drive space.

Thank you for the quick reply.

Had to go help friends..

Here is the information you asked for :

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VeKsmMbvSMZmgRCOvLobjD2

PSU info : HP

Model# TPC-CA52

Also, you wrote :

If you are having trouble uninstalling Webroot open the Search box, copy and paste the command below, then press Enter.

"C:\Program Files\Webroot\WRSA.exe" –uninstall

That opened Bing search on Chrome...

Then I opened Command Prompt  and put it there & got "Windows could not find that file path"

After that I searched the computer for WRSA.exe. Nothing found.

Checking the Speccy log, I found that Webroot is still there.

Let me know what your ideas are on this mess.

Thank You for your patience... ed

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:13 AM

The command isn't intended to be used as a command in the Command Prompt. But there is another way to do this.  Go to this website and download the Webroot removal tool and run it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 halfdeaded

halfdeaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:21 AM

Still didn't get rid of Webroot.

Started to try it in safe mode like the author suggested, but started getting pop-ups from Microsoft Windows that the drive is beginning to fail & to back up my files and to contact the manufacturer before the drive fails.

I was just told from a roommate that this could be a virus. Have you heard anything about this?

If not, then the problem could be the drive itself & I'll be buying a new one in the morning, making this a semi-resolved topic.

In that case, Thank You for taking the time & knowledge helping me with this problem...ed

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:51 AM

Please download and run SeaTools for Windows

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installatioSeatTools for Windows begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

#7 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 25 March 2017 - 03:08 AM

An idea.

Check your Pending Renames folder---

screenshot_386.jpg

#8 Claire22

Claire22

• Banned Spammer
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:24 AM

If your drive is full then you can use the following tips to increase your disk space:

1. You can reduce the amount of space that is used for system restore
  2. You can also download some of the software in other drives
  3. Run disk clean up to clean temporary files.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:20 AM

If your drive is full then you can use the following tips to increase your disk space:

• You can reduce the amount of space that is used for system restore
  • You can also download some of the software in other drives
  • Run disk clean up to clean temporary files.

These may free up some ssd/hdd space, but it will not resolve the issue.  This type of problem is often the result of a buggy application which can be narrowed down by running a application like TreeSize Portable.  This will show which what is eating up the space.  You can further narrow it down by doing a Clean Boot.

#10 halfdeaded

halfdeaded
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 03:02 AM

dc3

Everything kept showing up "unknown".

So I took your final advice and did a clean boot.

Now time for updating from 8 to 8.1, getting all of the other updates & making sure not to get the Windows 10 update that was installed before, even though it was declined. Reinstalling all of the drivers & programs, etc... etc..

Thank you for taking the time and energy to get me through this mess.

medab1 & Claire22

Thanks for chiming in with your suggestions.

#11 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 11 April 2017 - 04:09 AM

I suggested checking PendingRenames because that folder will just get bigger as time goes by.

Mine was over 17 GBs when I first checked on it.

I had to take complete control to be able to delete the contents.

Now I added it as a special folder to clean to CCleaner.

It stays empty.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:45 AM

@halfdeaded

I did not suggest doing a Clean Boot, if I had I would have provided step by step instructions for this procedure.  When you run a Clean Boot this disables all of the Services and hides all of the Microsoft Services.  Once this is done you restart the computer, if the problem does not return the culprit is going to be one of the third party Services.  You can determine which service is causing this through a process of elimination.  You would checks to half of the services boxes and restart the computer.  If the problem returns you will know that the problematic service is in that half of the third party services.  You can continue this process of elimination to find the specific service causing your problem.  BUT!... That is not warranted in this case.

In order to be able to assist you, you will need to do what is requested.  Otherwise we are wasting our time.

My last request was to run the SeaTools for Windows scan to determine the health of you hdd/ssd.  If you received the message that the drive is beginning to fail you need to run this scan to determine if this in fact what is happening.  If this is what is happening anything else is now superfluous.  If the drive is failing you need to stop using it for anything other than backing up your important data to removable media so that if or when the drive fails you will have the data stored outside of the computer where you can use it to restore this data in a new drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users