Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System running slow, boot hangs at welcome screen even w/ safe mode

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 seankobuk

seankobuk

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:04 PM

This is a custom built laptop by ADK

OEM Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Intel i7 4700MQ

NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 765M

It was built in OCT 2013

Battery died about a year ago and was replaced but otherwise all hardware is original

The laptop starting running very slow a few days ago and then on reboot it hung at welcome screen. I turned on verbose messages on boot and it hangs at Please wait for the User Profile Service for at least 10 minutes before fully booting up. Safe Mode runs slow but usable. Normal mode is unusable. Haven't been able to successfully use System Restore or Acronis to load images. If I can't get things working as is I'd like to at least restore an Acronis image that has most programs installed etc. so I don't have to start from scratch. Thanks!

Sysnative zip attached Perfmon wasn't able to run successfully (error text below). 

An error occurred while attempting to generate the report.

The system cannot find the path specified.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:30 AM

There's a lot of Live Kernel Events and BSOD's listed in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report

Most often these are symptomatic of hardware issues (can also be compatibility and low-level drivers, but I'm not going to address that quite yet)

The memory dumps that you've uploaded all refer to the NTFS file system on your hard drive.

As you're unable to restore the Acronis image, all of these symptoms suggest a problem with your hard drive.

Please run these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Start with the Hard Drive diagnostics

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 seankobuk

seankobuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:56 PM

Thx for replying.

I didn't have any blank cd's on hand and I had to travel today so I won't get a chance to do the bootable drive tests until tomorrow sometime. In the meantime I'll try to run the WD test that runs in windows. 

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:19 AM

The Western Digital Data Lifeguard (or the Seagate Seatools) tool that works in Windows will be good enough for now.

I'd run both, just to be sure.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 seankobuk

seankobuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:38 AM

The WD dlgdiag test failed

with Test error code: 08 - too many bad sectors detected

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:23 AM

Backup your stuff immediately. It's most likely that the HDD is dying. You may also want to capture your W7 product key if the sticker isn't readable.

Then run Seatools to double check. Most likely you'll need a new hard drive and recovery media

Good Luck!!!

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:23 AM

Duplicate post - slow network connection on my phone
:0(

Edited by usasma, 21 March 2017 - 09:25 AM.

#8 seankobuk

seankobuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:41 AM

Yeah I already backed everything up before I tried to restore to an earlier image. Bummer.

Thx for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users