Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Upgrade question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Yetikiller

Yetikiller

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:31 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 i5555-2866SLV and would like to know if I can upgrade the gpu to a gtx960?
I am upgrading it for light gaming reasons(MMO) so I also would like to know if I should upgrade the cpu while I am at it, or will it not really make that much of a difference?

Link to Laptop model:
https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/productID.333089200

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:14 PM

Laptops, unlike most desktops, are very limited when it comes to upgrading. About the only upgrades that can usually be done are CD/DVD drives, hard drives & RAM. The gpu is not a removable/replaceable component. It's possible to upgrade the CPU on some laptops, but you'll need to hunt down a specific mobile processor for it. See the following:

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/laptop-upgrade-checker

Google "Upgrading Laptops" for numerous other articles.

Edited by saw101, 19 March 2017 - 05:09 PM.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:26 AM

Note that in some rare instances, notebook GPU's can be upgraded, I've personally seen the removal & install of upgraded NVIDIA models on YouTube (below is one example). :)

https://youtu.be/ghe4tFuC7jE

Of course, one must have the right type of notebook for this, as there are only certain upgrade paths. Some may also need an upgraded PSU to handle the load, although these aren't hard to find, simply look for one of the same series that also offers an AIO type PC. I've successfully upgraded three notebooks with these, the key being first, that the input type is the same, the second is voltage, which also must remain the same. Watts & amps can be much higher, as the notebook will only draw what's needed, not a constant flow. 

Still, unfortunately the majority of notebook GPU's cannot be upgraded. In such a case, then one can look at what's available in the power settings (best option) and/or any overclocking software (last resort). :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users