I've come here in the past for some great advice for a system build, so I'm back to doing it again! I'm looking to build a gaming computer capable of high-ultra settings for 2560x1440p resolution. I will be running games off of my Dell 27" S2716DG display.
My current system:
- CPU - Intel i5-2500k (stock speed)
- Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155
- Case - Corsair Carbide 500R
- Memory - 16gb
- PSU - Corsair TX650
- Video - MSI GeForce GTX 970
I'm looking for a decent build that could last me at least another 5 years, somewhere between the budget of $1200-$1500 (I'm open to a little wiggle room). Here are the following questions I'm asking while I research parts (and part listings are appreciated!)
- What is the current benchmark gaming CPU? I know this is where most of my money is going to sadly. Is it the Intel i7-7700k? Or another? Should I wait for the Ryzen 5 to come out?
- If shopping for the 7700k, I keep seeing that the Z270 motherboards are the ones to get. Any recommendation on motherboard?
- I am pretty sure I want to go the modular PSU route this time. Any recommendations there? Best brands?
- So i'm thinking that if I build this machine, I may get the GPU last. I know the 1080's just came out, but with my 970 I might be able to swing by on that for a little bit until the prices of the new cards drop. I'm leaning towards nVidia, especially because I'm running a Dell 27" GSync display.
- I also want to upgrade my SSD. 128gb isn't cutting it anymore, and I at least want to double that if not more.
Any thoughts, questions, or suggestions are appreciated!!!