Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer removal problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:11 PM

I have an HP Deskjet D2360 on Windows 10.

I found out today that when it prints color, it prints a color than indicated (ex: pink instead of blue, purple instead of green). (The problem is not the ink cartridge; it has plenty of ink)

So what I've done is removed the driver that was supposed to be for Windows 10 and tried different drivers, like HP's universal driver and the Vista driver (which I know does not have the color problem).

I'm pretty sure that it is not all removed. I looked at instructions on the Internet that said to uninstall via Programs & Features, then remove printer via Hardware & Sound. I should not be able to print from this printer if drivers are supposedly gone, but I can. Could someone give me directions to remove all of it?

Also, I can't find the Vista driver on here to remove and the universal driver is still on here, which I can't figure out how to remove.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RenoGeek

RenoGeek

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:17 AM

Hello from what you describe I don't think a driver would make the color change.

Sounds like a dirty print head to me. (not low ink)

I would suggest you re-install the correct drivers and then use the HP printer utility to clean the print heads (you may have to do the print head cleaning a few times).

Got to the HP Driver page for this printer...

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Deskjet-D2300-Printer-series/1841737/model/1101015

and install the full package.... Not the big orange download button but the file on the lower left in the "details" section.

File name:SF_CDA_NonNet_Full... (151.5 MB)

Edited by RenoGeek, 22 March 2017 - 11:18 AM.

I am not anti-social, I'm just not user friendly. 

Have you backed up today? Did you backup your backup?

Virus Removal Guides

Computer Technician Checklist

Microsoft Safety & Security Center

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:45 AM

If you need to remove all aspects of the printer driver use the Uninstall Programs feature then open Devices and Printers. Click on any printer. I am not sure if Windows 10 has a Windows XPS printer. I click on this in Windows 7. In the menu bar select Print Server Properties. Under the Drivers tab click on any HP Deskjet printer driver and select Remove. Even after a printer uninstall some driver files are still left behind.

Edit: If you have no printers you can click on then open a command prompt and type

printui /s /t2

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 March 2017 - 11:53 AM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,621 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:51 AM

One also cannot discount the possibility that this printer is just dying.  The HP Deskjet D2360 appears to have been discontinued quite a while back.  Just the mention of drivers for Vista by the original poster gives a good idea that this is a very old piece of equipment.

I would certainly try it out on another machine to see how it behaves there before presuming it's the computer, drivers, etc.  These things do have a finite service life.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:02 PM

Thank you all for responding.

Here's how I know that it's the driver and nothing else - the oldest OS that this printer can be installed on is Windows 98. The color works fine on Windows 98. When I had it on Vista, the color was fine but after I updated it the first time, that's when the colors were wrong (just like it is on Windows 10). So on Vista, I had to uninstall it and reinstall it. If you leave the driver as is when first installed and never do updates, the color is fine.

I also have this topic going on at HP's forum (due to its urgency) if you're interested in looking: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Software-and-Drivers/Remove-all-HP-printer-drivers-and-everything-associated-with/m-p/6035643

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:07 PM

If you get the printer to print colors correctly then I would advise you disable Windows 10 auto driver update.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,621 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:13 PM

I say the following not to be snarky, but out of pure realism.  Having checked, the last OS that HP certified this printer for was Windows Vista.  I can assure you that no matter how urgent you feel this issue is HP does not.   Both Windows Vista and devices last manufacturer certified with Windows Vista as the most recent OS will not be getting any attention from the OEM.

This is the first time I've seen anything I would consider misleading on HP's support pages with regard to software or drivers.  The latest "Full-Featured Driver & Software Package" that pulls up on my machine for Win10 64-bit shows a release date of August 27, 2014.  There is absolutely no way that a package released nearly one year prior to the initial public release of Windows 10 itself was tested and certified for Windows 10.

You would be far better served by considering getting a new printer.  There are many available in the $30 range that have better technical specs than the D2360 has and you'd have the opportunity to take ink cartridge (or tank type) and expense into account.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#8 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:39 AM

So the problem is still being worked on. I feel that the people at HP don't know what they're doing. I know that there are files and registry keys that get left behind when any program is uninstalled. It would be a lot easier if HP came up with a real removal tool that wiped out files.

What do you all think? https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Software-and-Drivers/Remove-all-HP-printer-drivers-and-everything-associated-with/m-p/6035643

#9 RenoGeek

RenoGeek

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 11:21 AM

as britechguy suggested...

This was a vista printer. assuming that it should work forever (win 7, 8, 8.1, 10, 10 anniversary edition) is pushing the limits of the original drivers. Not to mention that your still running on a 32 bit platform (maybe).

For all the hours your putting into getting something this old to work you could have paid for the new printer.

Just my 2 cents.

BUT to verify that it really is not the printer hardware (print-head as I suggested before) Have you tried setting this up with a different computer?   

Virus Removal Guides

#10 a.h.h.10

a.h.h.10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 12:47 PM

as britechguy suggested...

This was a vista printer. assuming that it should work forever (win 7, 8, 8.1, 10, 10 anniversary edition) is pushing the limits of the original drivers. Not to mention that your still running on a 32 bit platform (maybe).

For all the hours your putting into getting something this old to work you could have paid for the new printer.

Just my 2 cents.

BUT to verify that it really is not the printer hardware (print-head as I suggested before) Have you tried setting this up with a different computer?   

I recently reinstalled it on a Windows 98 computer to print off documents. The color is fine. I have it installed on a laptop that has Vista on it. The color works fine. Both of the drivers came from the disc that came with the printer. The driver on 10 is from the website, which has the color problem.

Since on Vista, if you update the driver and the color problem exists afterwards, it is HP's fault. I've never attempted update it on 98.

I reinstalled the universal driver from HP's site. It still has the color problem.

I just use my devices until they can't go on anymore. I still have a full tank of ink for this printer. I don't like to waste.

A printer driver shouldn't be difficult but HP is making it difficult.

#11 RenoGeek

RenoGeek

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:11 PM

Ok. All good. But I have noticed that most companies are not supporting legacy O/S drivers for Windows 10.

They have a number of reasons...

1. They make more money if you just buy a new printer.

2. It cost money to have a programmer write a new driver.

3. They become libel if they release a driver that harms your system.

4. Microsoft has changed a lot of the Windows core programming which means the can't "fix" a driver but have to write one from scratch.

5. Vista was released in Nov 2006. So the late iron age in computer years :) and expecting 11+ years of support from an industry that lives on 18 month cycles is not realistic.

But it seems you do like to tinker so here is a suggestion since it seems you have older computers to spare.

Put the printer back on one of the older computers you say it still works on. And either share it on your network (making sure on Windows 10 to find the setting (not to render on client computer).

Or email your print jobs to yourself and print them off the older system.

Good luck. 

Edited by RenoGeek, 25 March 2017 - 01:12 PM.

Virus Removal Guides

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,621 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:14 PM

a.h.h.10 wrote, in part:  "I just use my devices until they can't go on anymore. I still have a full tank of ink for this printer. I don't like to waste.

A printer driver shouldn't be difficult but HP is making it difficult."

I am very much like you with regard to your first assertions.

You are, however, completely incorrect that "HP is making it difficult."   You are trying to use a piece of equipment that was retired from production and active support long, long ago.  When that occurs, that is the official cessation of responsibility for ongoing support for a piece of equipment, particularly in new operating system environments.

It is entirely up to you if you want to keep spinning your wheels about this, but you are very unlikely to get the outcome you seek.  I've been around this particular block myself more times than once.  I am not being snarky or rude when I tell you that you are throwing good effort after bad.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users