Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flickering horizontal lines on monitor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GakHG

GakHG

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:25 PM

Hi,

Very strange problem, see pictures on imgur: http://imgur.com/a/PRMJ1

I tried disabling either Intel HD Graphics or Nvidia card -- same result, so it seems to be a monitor problem, not a graphics card problem.

Help very appreciated.

On Dell Inspiron 7737 laptop, mid 2014, windows 8.1.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:55 PM

I downloaded your image and ran it in Paint and it displays perfectly on my monitor with razor sharp edges to the coloured rectangles and no blurring on the vertical red lines.

so it seems to be a monitor problem

Have you tried connecting this to a different monitor or even a TV set since you have HDMI out ? If you do this it would tend to confirm if it is your screen or a driver problem. In any case I would go to the Dell site and download the latest drivers for Win 8.1 for your laptop.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 GakHG

GakHG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:38 PM

Hi, thanks. Already downloaded all new drivers, for Intel HD graphics and the Nvidia card, no change.

The problem does NOT happen on an external monitor connected to HDMI, so it really seems to be the monitor.

It is kind of predicable -- when the mouse's cursor's shape spills on the left edge of the screen, these flickering horizontal lines follow the height of the cursor, like this: https://imgur.com/a/5bDTP

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,226 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:15 PM

You say that this is a laptop but you are using a mouse. Have you tried a different mouse ?  And do you get the same problem using the trackpad ?  And, finally, do these lines in your last picture return to normal when you move the cursor back towards the centre of the screen ?

Usually laptop screen problems are not as subtle as this and, given that replacement screen are (1) expensive and (2) not that easy to install, I would try almost anything to avoid changing a screen. In fact a faulty screen really does bring up the repair or replace question.

Trying a different mouse is a lot easier than changing the screen and, if the picture returns to normal when you move the cursor away from the edge, I would be inclined to live with the distortion.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 GakHG

GakHG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:31 PM

Hi -- thanks.

When I remove the mouse and use the trackpad the problem persists. A crosshair mouse cursor on the left edge of the screen does cause some lines (and yes, these particular lines disappear when I move the cursor away from the left edge of the screen), but these lines appear in many other different pixel configurations independently of the mouse, as the image here shows: http://imgur.com/a/PRMJ1   Overall it's not related to the mouse.

I vaguely hope that some monitor firmware update might solve the problem (some faulty visual algorithms processing certain pixel configurations might screw up the vertical sync, which could cause the flickering lines), but I am not sure if these firmware updates even exist.

Short of that, it appears my only hope is a faulty or improperly plugged internal DVI/HDMI cable, which I could conceivably change or plug in more firmly (opening up the laptop is complicated but feasible): if the screen hardware itself is kaputt, then yes -- trying to change it might not be worth it.

Edited by GakHG, 19 March 2017 - 07:33 PM.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,226 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:56 PM

Before you get all drastic and start tearing your laptop to pieces, have you had a look over the Dell forums to see if anybody else has had this sort of problem ?  See -

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/

As you say, it doesn't happen on an external monitor which does point the finger at the laptop screen. If you cannot find any specific help on the Dell forums it might be worth checking on how well the screen cable is connected to the mobo and even cleaning the connection. but, as you say, this would involve doing a tear down on your laptop. See if they have anything to say on the Dell forums.

the only other thing I can think of at the moment is to go into Device manager and uninstall the drivers for your mouse and trackpad then re-boot. It might be simpler to do these separately. The drivers that you delete will be replaced when you re-boot.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users