Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Temporary profile, slow boot

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Cawickeng

Cawickeng

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:15 PM

Hi guys,

I own a MSI laptop with Windows 10.

Over the past few days  when I logged into my user account, Windows 10 has instead logged me into a temporary profile.  I have had to restart to access my actual user account.  Can anyone tell me why this is happening?  I always use CCleaner to clean the registries (especially recently) yet this is the first time this has happened and it is worrying me. I do not have any viruses nor malware (scan regularly).

Using autoruns, I notice that a few entries are ‘missing’: wfpcapture, wow64.dll, wow64win.dll, wow64cpu.dll.

This leads me to the second part of my question (related).  The laptop has an SSD and I use it to boot Windows.  With an SSD, I'd expect boot times of around 20s total (bios and user account combined).  I take 60 seconds sometimes to load my user account...

I just timed it after a restart:

BIOS- 20 seconds

User account – 8 seconds

However, starting up from shut down (on a new day I guess) takes much longer for the user account, up to 40+ seconds. I have attached a screenshot of my startup programs to demonstrate that I run the bare minimum required.

Time after start up (on new day)

BIOS- 23 seconds

User account – 28 seconds

With the recent temporary profile problem, it takes even longer. 

Maybe I can disable GUI boot?

Specs:

CPU: I7 6700HQ

Video card: GT960M

RAM: 16 GB

SSD: 128 GB

Can anyone help me with the problems?  It is very frustrating to have a slow bootup even with the SSD.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:10 PM

With the logging into a temp profile problem do you have MalwareBytes 3.0x installed? This is a known issue with that software as I had the same problem, I changed/turned on the setting 'delay protection at startup' to 60 seconds within MBAM & not had the problem since.

#3 Cawickeng

Cawickeng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:13 PM

With the logging into a temp profile problem do you have MalwareBytes 3.0x installed? This is a known issue with that software as I had the same problem, I changed/turned on the setting 'delay protection at startup' to 60 seconds within MBAM & not had the problem since.

I only have the free version installed which does not include that function (I disabled the real-time protection as you can see in the screenshot).  

#4 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:36 PM

Quite possible that it still is the culprit, MBAM devs don't seem to know what's causing it judging by their replies on their forum.
To test to see if it is causing your problem, uninstall it using their official removal tool & install the previous 2.0 version, if no further temp profile error then it is the new MBAM.

#5 Cawickeng

Cawickeng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:59 PM

Quite possible that it still is the culprit, MBAM devs don't seem to know what's causing it judging by their replies on their forum.
To test to see if it is causing your problem, uninstall it using their official removal tool & install the previous 2.0 version, if no further temp profile error then it is the new MBAM.

Well I installed Malwarebytes 3.0 a while back (updated from 2.0) and the temporary profile problem only started this week (only twice). If the problem persists, I will take that action.

Regarding the slow start up, do you have a solution?  Maybe I don't need the 'delayed launcher' enabled. It is just frustrating seeing such slow bootup times since I did play money for this SSD.  Much better than my old PC with 2+ minutes of bootup (from login screen to loading the user profile alone).  Maybe it is because laptop SSDs are vastly inferior to PC-grade SSDs?

#6 Cawickeng

Cawickeng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:22 AM

I noticed that Windows saves these temporary profiles into my 'User' folder.  Is it OK if I delete them?

#7 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:27 AM

The first released version of MBAM 3 while it did have other problems didn't have the profile corruption, you only notice it when doing a restart or a cold boot so unless you're doing this regularly you won't know about it, also it doesn't happen at every boot.
It should be fine to delete these 'extra' users but you might want to wait for other members to post to confirm, you could create a backup image before removing these users then if anything does go wrong you can restore.

Slow startups can be caused by many things, one of which is an anti virus doing an early launch scan, check your startup files to see which program may be the culprit.

Edited by Goddess_Bastet, 19 March 2017 - 06:27 AM.

#8 Cawickeng

Cawickeng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:38 AM

The first released version of MBAM 3 while it did have other problems didn't have the profile corruption, you only notice it when doing a restart or a cold boot so unless you're doing this regularly you won't know about it, also it doesn't happen at every boot.
It should be fine to delete these 'extra' users but you might want to wait for other members to post to confirm, you could create a backup image before removing these users then if anything does go wrong you can restore.

Slow startups can be caused by many things, one of which is an anti virus doing an early launch scan, check your startup files to see which program may be the culprit.

Thanks for the reply. I shut my laptop down every day.

I made sure that my antivirus software do not scan when I login.  It still offers real-time protection though.

What about the delayed launcher? And 'no GUI' from msconfig?

#9 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:21 AM

The delay at startup is part of the paid MBAM.
Can't help with the no GUI problem, unless your graphics driver needs updating.
My advice is to go back to ver 2 of MBAM to see if it'll fix the problems.

#10 lukerr

lukerr

• Banned Spammer
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:42 AM

I think you have also have to remove "productupdater" and delay launcher both, and yes, i agreed that MBAM impact on system even after it uninstall from the systems and you said its disabled in your lappy.

#11 Steven_M

Steven_M

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:49 AM

I noticed that Windows saves these temporary profiles into my 'User' folder.  Is it OK if I delete them?

Yes it's fine to delete Temp profiles.

#12 Cawickeng

Cawickeng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:16 AM

I think you have also have to remove "productupdater" and delay launcher both, and yes, i agreed that MBAM impact on system even after it uninstall from the systems and you said its disabled in your lappy.

Okay, I heard that 'delayed launcher' helps to delay initialisation of programs so that if you do have malware, those won't start immediately upon bootup.

#13 daitrongpham

daitrongpham

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:42 AM

Are you using local or roaming profiles?  Is there an existing profile on the server that has his name attached to it?  If so just check to see that the user has read/write access to it (or delete it altogether).  It kind of sounds like some sort of permission issue to the profile folder location.

#14 Cawickeng

Cawickeng
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:03 AM

Are you using local or roaming profiles?  Is there an existing profile on the server that has his name attached to it?  If so just check to see that the user has read/write access to it (or delete it altogether).  It kind of sounds like some sort of permission issue to the profile folder location.

I am not sure.  I am the administrator and have only one user account on this laptop.

Yes it's fine to delete Temp profiles.

It says that I require permission from 'SYSTEM'.

Edited by Cawickeng, 22 March 2017 - 02:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users