Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Switching one hard to anothe identical machine?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:06 PM

Hey guys, someone has a DELL Studio 17 laptop but having screen issues and wants to switch to another identical machine. If switching the HDD from the original to the other, would all softwares and data work on the 2nd just like on the first including all programs like MS Office e.t.c?

Edited by mystic12, 18 March 2017 - 06:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:18 PM

If the systems are identical...and the licenses are identical...I believe there should be no problem.  But I won't guarantee that :).  There's only one way to know...try it.

Louis

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:21 PM

If the systems are identical...and the licenses are identical..

Louis

Sorry not understanding about licenses being identical?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:55 PM

Every Windows install...has a respective license from Microsoft.  If the license from System 1 does not match the license from System 2...you could have problems activating/booting/running Windows.  A license for XP cannot be used on a system licensed for Win 7...a license for Win 7 Home Preimium furnished by an OEM (HP, Dell, etc.) cannot be used on anything other than another system identical to the one put together/sold by that manufacturer.  And so on.

Louis

#5 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:21 AM

I am aware of that, just that I don;t see how windows license will apply in this case since the owner wants to physically take the HDD out of laptop 1 and use it on laptop 2.

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:01 AM

When any MS OS is installed un a machine, the OS looks at all aspects of that system, BIOS included besides any hardware installed, and loads the appropriate drivers needed.  This is all characterized in the installed OS.  Taking that drive to another machine and attempting to boot will fail, even if the units are identical, there are differences that the OS will find and balk at booting.  Now, if you have the installation disk, you could boot to that in the new machine with the old drive and do a repair of the OS that will not the changes and make the system workable again.  But you need the install disk, and DELL doesn't give them away, you have to buy it from them.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,627 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:09 AM

The scenario you propose worked perfectly for me in the past, but that was still in the Windows XP days.

As you have been told, this may or may not work now, particularly if you're using Windows 10.   Presuming both machines were legally licensed for Windows 10, I am uncertain what would happen were machine 2 to get machine 1's hard drive and the license then be checked by Microsoft.  It could be that if machine 2 has been licensed for Windows 10 that the license might simply be written to the hard drive and you go on your merry way or, conversely, you might be told that the Windows 10 OS on that drive is not legally licensed for that machine and stopped dead.  It might be something "in between" those extremes.

Since this is a simple thing to test if you've got the hardware available I'd just give it a shot.  Then please report back the details of what happened and include the hardware and exact version of the OS.  You are the "trial balloon".

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#8 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,556 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:04 AM

Got it guys, thanks. yes, when the owner drops it off in a couple of days, I will switch the drives then report back there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users