Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two versions of explorer.exe running

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 krn1016

krn1016

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:52 PM

I'm currently running windows vista on 64 bit.  I've recently noticed that under my task manager/process tab that two versions of explorer.exe are running.  I've honestly never seen this happen on this computer until I started noticing it pop up randomly a few weeks ago.  Not sure if this was by chance or not, but I also noticed that my ping was incredibly high until I closed one of the two instances of explorer.exe (generally the one with lower pc usage).  Now, in the past in weird buggy occasions I've seen explorer.exe crash and have had to either restart the computer or manually restart explorer.exe at which time I notice my screen/icons refresh or my start menu pop back up/cycle back, but for some reason when I close that same second instance of explorer (the one with lower pc usage) I notice absolutely nothing other than the better ping when I test it.

Edited by krn1016, 18 March 2017 - 05:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 marumarsu

marumarsu

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:13 AM

I had this exact same problem a while ago on my vista x64 after some of my system files had gotten corrupted. I'd suggest formatting your drive and doing a clean install, can't really fix these kind of things individually.

#3 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:04 AM

Or run sfc /scannow in a Administrator command prompt.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users