Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PCIe/GPU questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jackobe

jackobe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:23 PM

I have an Asus P8Z68-V LX DDR3 Intel 1155 Z68 motherboard. It has the i5 3570k cpu.  
I don't understand the PCIe info my manual states.
It says expansion slots: 
2 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots (blue @ x16 mode, black @ x4 mode)*1                                                                                                                                                         

2 x PCI Express 2.0 x 1                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

3 x PCI.

Note: *1 The PCIe x 16_2 slot shares bandwidth with PCIe x1_1 slot, PCIe x1_2 slot.

I want to get mid ranged GPU but not sure what the PCIe info means? I look under PCIe 2.0 x 16 GPU on ebay and it only lists some low end GPU.
What I'm asking is what GPU's can I run on this comp?? So many diff options, I don't want to buy a GPU I can't use on this comp.

Memory lists - 4 x DIMM Max 32G, (I'm using 16G now),DDR3, can I upgrade to a DDR5 GPU without any problems?

Another issue I have is my users manual states my Multi-GPU supports AMD and online a different manual for this comp states it supports ATI?

Thank you for any help.

Edited by jackobe, 18 March 2017 - 08:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:59 PM

The PCI slots  are older technology which is not used much these days.  Those slots can still be used but only with PCI devices/cards.

There are two types of PCI-E slots. A 1x slot and a 16x slot.

a.  16x slots are compatible with 1x and 16x cards.

b.  1x slots are not compatible with 16x cards, they are compatible only with 1x cards.

More Info.

Louis

You have 1 PCIe 2.0 x 16 slot.

You have 2 PCIe 2.0 x 1 slots.

You have 3 PCI slots.

When you look at the specs for a GPU, it will reflect "hardware connectivity" as HERE.

That should tell you that 16x cards require a 16x slot.  But, Take A Look.

Edited by hamluis, 18 March 2017 - 06:16 PM.

#3 jackobe

jackobe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:45 PM

Thanks for the response. 

of looking at the picture you posted of the slots I'm still confused.  I have two slots labeled PCIEx16_1 and PCIEx16_2.

from top to bottom on my Mobo,

one slot that is short and blue says PCIEx1_1.

one slot says PCIEx16_1 which is blue and long.

one slot that is short and blue says PCIEx1_2.

one slot that is medium length and blue says PCI1. (which i understand is older and i won't connect too)

one slot says PCIEx16_2 which is black and long,

then 2 that are medium length and blue say PCI2 and PCI3. (which i understand is older and won't connect too)

so I can only use a PCIE x16 GPU and use it in either the longer blue slot labeled PCIEx16_1 or the longer black slot labeled PCIEx16_2? 

What the difference of PCIE 2.0 x16(blue) and PCIE 2.0 x16 (x4 mode black)?

What is the diffences in PCI Express x16, PCI Express 2.0 x16, PCI Express 3.0 x16?

Edited by jackobe, 18 March 2017 - 08:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users